Bottle Warmer and botle rack dryer Question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Just curious on your opinion. Are these necessary and did you use these. just trying to avoid getting this that will just sit around.
December 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used them every day. I pumped exclusively, so the drying rack was a MUST for all of the pump pieces. And DD did not do cold milk. We had the small Tommee Tippee counter top bottle warmer and their travel one for on the go. The travel one is amazing. The ones that plug into the car don't work, so don't waste your money. But theirs! It is a thermos that will keep water boiling hot for over 8 hours. It hold enough to warm 2 bottles. The top is a giant cup that you put the bottle down into and then pour the water over. The bottle heats super fast. That is the must have baby item I get for all of my friends. We would not have survived without it. Just be careful bc the water stays HOT. I spilled on myself once and got a nasty burn, but it was my own stupid fault.
December 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Since I dont plan on pumping or bottle feeding they would be a waste. I had one with my oldest son who was formula fed and it was more a pain than it was worth. I never used a bottle warmer or have owned one.

December 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used either. I usually did all the bottles in the sick at once and just set them to dry on a towel or put them in the dishwasher. I also never used a warmer. I made the formula with warm water, and with Jocelyn who used sterlized water, I got her used to cold formula.

December 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
We used them every day. I pumped exclusively, so the drying rack was a MUST for all of the pump pieces. And DD did not do cold milk. We had the small Tommee Tippee counter top bottle warmer and their travel one for on the go. The travel one is amazing. The ones that plug into the car don't work, so don't waste your money. But theirs! It is a thermos that will keep water boiling hot for over 8 hours. It hold enough to warm 2 bottles. The top is a giant cup that you put the bottle down into and then pour the water over. The bottle heats super fast. That is the must have baby item I get for all of my friends. We would not have survived without it. Just be careful bc the water stays HOT. I spilled on myself once and got a nasty burn, but it was my own stupid fault.
bear with me I am new to this. Since the warmer keep the water so hot wouldn't you have to wait quite so time before feeding??

thanks for the input everyone
December 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We never used either. Well, I take that back ... we had an in-car bottle warmer that was a joke, and we only used it a couple of times before I tossed it. My sister did have a combo bottle rack/sterilizer that she liked and used quite a bit, but she had twins so twice as many bottles.
December 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did what Valerie does/did. Warmers and drying racks were a waste of $ for us

December 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
I suppose it depends on how many bottle you want to wash at one time. Personally, I have no idea as both my boys have been exclusively breastfed, but my SIL used the bottle rack for her daughter and it took up very little counter space. I don't remember exactly, but I think they just ran the bottle under a sink of hot water to warm it. I think if I were bottle feeding I would carry around a bottle of room temperature water on the go and keep a jug of room temperature water on the counter at home. Warming the bottle seems like a lot of work, if you have the option to stay at home full time I would 100% go with exclusively breastfeeding, it's soooo much easier. Of course I know this isn't an option if you're a working mama.
December 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
bear with me I am new to this. Since the warmer keep the water so hot wouldn't you have to wait quite so time before feeding??

thanks for the input everyone
It was pumped breast milk,so the water did not go into the bottle. The water just sat in the cup around the bottle. The heat from the water outside the bottle warmed the breast milk inside. A warmer is prob not necessary for formula feeding since, as someone else posted, you could just use warm water. But if you pump, you keep the milk in the fridge, so it is quite cold when you go to give it to the baby. That is why the warmers were so key for us.
December 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nursed so my experience may be very different. We used and still use our drying rack. First it was for sippies and now it's for all manner of toddler feeding utensils. WHY CAN'T THEY ALL BE DISHWASHER SAFE?!?!

Anyway, we obviously never bothered with a bottle warmer. When my husband had to make a bottle of formula (for when I wasn't there and I wasn't able to pump enough) he would just use warm water straight out of the tap. Which I have been yelled at about but the doctor wasn't fussed because of how few ounces he was getting of formula and our water is clean. It was enough that we didn't have to worry about fluoride drops or something (I honestly can't remember).

My brother and his wife invested in a bottle warmer that heats up in less than 5 minutes and they found that extremely helpful. They used sterilized water and would mix the bottles cold.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 28th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I thought bottle warmers were a joke personally and took up space I didn't have. When needed I would put a bottle in a large cup of hot water to heat it up, it doesn't take much. As for a bottle drying rack I thought it was nice to have just make sure you keep the bottle rack really clean or it is pointless. I have seen a lot of people using the bottle rack that looks like fake grass and they love it.

December 28th, 2012, 11:28 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bottle warmers really are only needed if you pump and then have to heat up the breat milk from the fridge or freezer. I used mine while pumping. Mine used steam to heat the bottle...was super quick and could be used for cleaning pacifiers which was an amazing feature...cuz hey if its goin in your babys mouth and has dropped on the floor you wanna sterilize it. Mine was very small and didnt cost a fortune. Also the bottle drying rack was something i used all the time. But i was handwashing. If you use your dishwasher then invest in one of those things that ya cant stick the nipples in....i use mine all the time still with sippie cup lids.

January 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for clearing this up ladies. i guess I didn't understand that was what the warmer was needed for. I do plan on trying to breastfeed in the beginning buy i hope to have baby use to formula by the time I go back to work, because I work full time, so i think that a warmer won't be necessary. I do have a dishwasher so maybe will just get the thing to put the stuff in dishwasher, or may considering a rack to cuz SO tend to like to hand wash things instead of using dishwasher.
January 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Regular
I didn't have either one, I used warm or hot water to heat bottles, and used my dishwasher for bottles and even soothers. I had a bottle rack compartment thing that I got as a shower gift, and my ped said it was fine to use the dishwasher...I HAD to make sure it was ok first, the lady I got it from wasn't exactly a model parent!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search