Weight gain panic

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I know it's important to gain weight for the health of the baby, in my head. But I just got on the scale and posted my first weight gain- 1.6 pounds- and am panicking. I have no problem watching my belly get bigger, but the number on the scale terrifies me. My aunts and cousins all got HUGE after having babies and I am terrified that it will happen to me. With DD, I lost 11 pounds by the time I was 12 weeks curtesy of hyperemesis, so I wasn't really stressed about gaining weight for a while. I was almost to my third tri before I had gained it all back. This time, I really didn't lose much to speak of (2 pounds) and now I have posted the gain over what I was at the start. I know I have been eating garbage, but it is the best I can do right now since I feel so sick a lot of the time. I guess I have to get a handle on that, but I am freaking out. I also had a major weight loss effort this summer where I lost 13 pounds bc I had let my weight get out of hand and my clothes didn't fit.

Anyone else completely freaked yet by weight gain? I feel like a nut case.
December 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Super Mommy
You're not alone. I've only gained 3lbs, which is really good considering what I gained when I was pregnant with my boys, still I'm freaked out that I will start gaining like crazy and have to go through losing it all over again, which was really hard. Just make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't go up too fast and that if you start at a normal weight, gaining 25-35 is perfectly normal and healthy.
December 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Only 1.6 pounds so far?! Shoooot. You are lucky!! I'm nervous about gaining too. I'm up about 10 pounds or so. I gained 40 pounds last time, and I'd really like to stay under that this time. Are you weighing yourself first thing in the morning? I know the scale for me is at least 1.6 pounds greater in the evening if I weigh myself. Ha!

December 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im also up 10 pounds already. So dang girl dont worry over a pound!!!

December 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I've got all ya girls beat! I'm up 14 pounds! Darn brownies!! But I also haven't exercised at all but three times...During the whole pregnancy. That's my New Years resolution, to get a more healthy pregnancy lifestyle.
December 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are going to gain weight. You should be gaining now. Approximately .5 lb a week give or take. You will also find that you may go a couple weeks with no gain the suddenly put on a couple pounds at once

You should probably not weigh yourself if you are going to be this freaked out about it. Weight is all about what you do and don't eat. Make healthy choices, indulge in moderation and you will be fine.

Kat.

Ps I gained 55 with Bourne. With the right choices, I lost it all plus 15 in 5 months.
Tiffany8620 and MrsLat like this.
December 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm up about 11, and my doctor doesn't want me gaining more than 20. Oops.

December 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am up about 10 lbs or so. It is definitely normal to feel panicked by the scale! It can be frightening. I would do what Kat said and not weigh yourself, and ask to turn away from the number on the scale at the doctor's office. That way you can just focus on being healthy and trying not to worry about the number!

As long as you are making good choices, I have every faith you will be able to lose the weight! But it really is not something you should stress yourself over right now, there are too many other things to concern yourself with!

December 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I figure what's going to happen is going to happen. Just eat the best you can and drink plenty of water. I've given up weighing myself everyday. I worry a little about gaining because I'm not allowed to exercise, but I'm confident I will lose the weight down the road. So far I've broken even. I lost a few pounds in the first trimester but am back to my pre-pregnancy weight again. I gained 40 lbs with Lily but honestly I really enjoyed that pregnancy. I was so hungry all the time and all food tasted delicious. It took me a year, but I did lose it all.
December 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Now if u gained 30 already that would be something to bw concerned about...but a pound or 5 I thinkyou woll be just fine

December 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have yet to gain anything but I totally get your nervousness. I gained almost 100 with my first son and I am still trying to lose that weight. My my second son I only gained about 20 pounds and lost it all quickly after. If I were you I would just try your best not to worry at all about the weight. Just eat healthy and stay active and you will be fine!
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
December 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Really? you are freaking out over 1.6lb. I think there would be bigger things to worry about then that.

How about focus on being positive and gaining weight. Gaining weight is a good thing, means you are healthy and helping your baby become healthy.

Sorry if this comes across ******, but I just believe this is nothing to freak out about.
Tiffany8620 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

December 29th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the support. I appreciate the encouragement and it's nice to know I'm. Not the only one. It may seem crazy to freak out about a small amount of weight, but if you saw the people, especially the women in my family, it would make perfect sense. They all used to be really thin, much thinner than I am, and now they're all really obese. And they all have serious health problems. I have been really preoccupied and stressed about the number on the scale since I was 11, so watching it go up at all, especially after kicking my butt to lose weight this summer. Thanks for being so great, ladies!
December 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Then you having a problem with the scale, is a whole different issue. Self image is different then gaining weight to have a baby. Maybe you should seek counselling, if it is such a big problem?/

I come from a long line of over weight people in my family. I gained weight with Nolan, after Nolan. I got hooked on running, lost 50lbs before my son even turned one.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

December 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Thanks for all the support. I appreciate the encouragement and it's nice to know I'm. Not the only one. It may seem crazy to freak out about a small amount of weight, but if you saw the people, especially the women in my family, it would make perfect sense. They all used to be really thin, much thinner than I am, and now they're all really obese. And they all have serious health problems. I have been really preoccupied and stressed about the number on the scale since I was 11, so watching it go up at all, especially after kicking my butt to lose weight this summer. Thanks for being so great, ladies!
Obesity is about your food choices and activity level, not what other women in your family weigh. I understand not wanting to gain too. Much but your post come across as an unhealthy obsession. Ian by most people's view a Heath nut. Food is fuel for my body and I believe everything I eat impacts me. I also choose to use moderation. If I want a periodic sweet or junk food, I eat it. Life is about balance and enjoying what little time we have here and prolonging our time yakking heathy choices.
SassySami likes this.
December 29th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I really don't think counseling is necessary. All I have to do is keep my weight under control. With all of the obesity induced health problem that so many people have, it's a good thing to be careful of. I have never come even close to having an eating disorder. I maintain a healthy weight. It is just hard to watch my hard work be reversed. I had a healthy pregnancy with DD despite my issues with watching my weight go up. I am all about being healthy and, as other people seem to agree, it's not just me that finds it difficult to gain weight.
December 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran
I am so JEALOUS that you've only gained a pound. When I saw the title of the post I figured it had to be much more but when I read a pound I thought WHAT!? You are so lucky I have gone from 102-103 lbs. to 129 lbs! as of December 13!! I am the one here who needs to get a handle on it out of everyone it looks like! With my daughter I gained 35-37 lbs. throughout the entire pregnancy and here I am 15 weeks in and 27 lbs. UP! Jeeze I'd kill to have only gained a pound. Honey relax you're doing really well so far in terms of the gain thing. <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search