MOTW - Sharon (bluesparkles) - Thursday update

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluesparkles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Veteran
On becoming a mom:
It took us a long time to get pregnant with DS. 18 months to be exact, but much of the time I was commuting weekly from San Jose to Seattle, so part of it could have just been bad timing. Then at 6 weeks, I developed HG 2 days before I was scheduled to fly to Milan for a business trip. I was supposed to run a week long training session, but I couldn't stop throwing up long enough to do anything, so I got to my hotel, slept about 18 hours, and the hotel manager drove me to the ER. Then I was put on bed rest for a week until I went back home. It was awful. It was my first time in a foreign country, I was by myself, scared, miserable, and worst of all, I only packed business clothes and one pair of pajamas, which I had thrown up on. The HG lasted the entire pregnancy, and even a couple weeks post delivery. That made it pretty difficult to bond with my son, but we got there eventually. Then to top off the HG, I never went into labor. I was induced at 11 days overdue, no dilation or contractions whatsoever. 26 hours later, DS was born.

He was also a pretty tricky baby, as he didn't sleep. Luckily, he didn't have reflux or colic on top of his sleep issues. Skip this next bit if you're a first time mom, but he didn't sleep through the night until he was 3.5. He still wakes up about half the time and he's 5. Now back to the first time moms - of course your baby will sleep for hours on end! Being a mom is a piece of cake! In all seriousness, if i had quit trying to make my kid follow what the books said he was supposed to do, I would have been much better off, but I was anti-cosleeping, and pro-breastfeeding, and had a child who liked company and eating every 90 minutes. It was hard. We learned from our mistakes. I didn't get much sleep.

When DS was 11 months, we moved half way around the world from CA to Northern England. The combination of my sleep deprived state, the HG pregnancy, and being so far away from family was enough to give me pretty bad PTSD about having any more kids. This was a huge deal to me because I've always wanted kids plural, and if I had the choice between having an only child and having no children, I lean towards the no children option. It took a good 2.5 years to wear off and I had some counseling. Then I spent nearly a year trying to get pregnant again. We moved back to the states, so DS could start preschool at the beginning of the year, and DH went back to England for 6 weeks. Surprise! I'm pregnant finally! My due date was May 26 2012, which was our 10 year anniversary. That pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage at just over 10 weeks. i was pretty devastated for a long time, but we decided to try again right away. Nothing. In June of this year, i started seeing an RE, and found out my progesterone level was 0, which indicated I wasn't ovulating at all. I started clomid, DH was sent on a mini-deployment the week I ovulated. I was really mad. So, i did a second clomid cycle, and DH came home the week before I was supposed to ovulate, and said he was going to be sent to RI for a 5 week class. So, i packed a bag and DS and I went with him. We stayed until I ovulated, then flew home. That seemed to do the trick, and my current due date is May 27th, 2013. It's off by 1 day because 2012 was a leap year. I looked back at my charts and found out that my dates were the EXACT same as the previous pregnancy. i even got my positive EPT on the same day.

So far, this pregnancy has gone smoothly except for the crazy anxiety I feel. I have my 20 week appt tomorrow, and my gender/growth scan on the 8th. At the moment I'm paranoid they're going to find spina bifida, as a friend's baby was just diagnosed. We have not discussed names at all. I'd love a girl, but I don't really have a preference. Really, I'd just like a baby that sleeps more than DS did.

I don't know if we'll have more kids at the moment. I've always thought I'd like to adopt like my parents did, but I just don't know if it is for us. We'll see.

btw, I know I'm a day off, we're going to be away from the internet on the first, so I won't be able to post wednesday on time.

Tuesday:
I went to the University of Texas at Austin to get a business degree because I really wanted to get out of state and see more of the world. I graduated in 6 semesters, mostly because I am a total overachiever, but also because I had a couple "boyfriend" issues. I had a high school sweetheart back home, and after 2 years of long-distance, I started to get miss him, so I planned on taking a year off school to do an internship in Chicago. I got a fantastic opportunity in the IT department of McCormick Place/Navy Pier (convention center). Then, about 3 months before I was supposed to start, I met my husband...at school...in Texas. It was a whirlwind of emotions because I had this huge complicated plan already in motion, and here I was totally enamored with a different guy... Jason (my husband) was really understanding though. Until he gave me an ultimatum that I either break up with the other guy, or stop seeing him. So, in January, I went back to Chicago, broke up with the other guy, started my job, and started a whole new long distance relationship. During that year I learned a ton about being self-sufficient, working hard, saving up money, and a handful of other important life lessons.
Jason graduated in May with a ROTC scholarship, so he was officially in the Navy. He proposed in August, I went back to school the following January, took 28 hours of classes (OMG!) and graduated in May. We were married 9 days later, and started our life together. (Texas peeps, we got married at the original Salt Lick! It was awesome!)

Jason grew up in a small border town in Texas. He was the only child of two teachers, and lived very differently than I did. His family had very little money. His father was not in good health (vietnam war vet), and passed away 3 months after Jason left home for college. He's been back to that town maybe 2 times since. He currently has a fantastic career in the Navy. We've always made it a point to put his job first, since it allows us to move around and experience different cultures and lifestyles. I LOVE being a Navy wife, despite him being gone on occasion. I actually look forward to times he's gone because I get to be selfish and have "ME" time. We've lived in 5 states (6 if you count california twice) and 1 other country in the 11 years we've been married. We were hoping to settle down here in Virginia for a couple of years, but with any luck, we'll be moving shortly after this baby is born, due to an opportunity we couldn't pass up.

Jason's hobbies are citrus farming, and electronics/computers. We seriously have about 30 lemon/satsuma/kumquat/grapefruit/lime trees in our garage right now, and probably a dozen more at least in our kitchen and dining room. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many computers we have in our house. From my seat on the couch RIGHT NOW, I count 7, not including our phones. woops, 8.

Oh, he also homebrews. While we lived in England, our rental house had a massive hops vine so we were able to harvest our own wild hops, and use that to make his beer. That triggered a new love of gardening for me. Shortly after buying our current home, I dug up about 300 square feet of yard for a vegetable garden. This past summer I grew 90% of our veggies. We're both SO project oriented we drive each other nuts quite frequently.

honeymoon pic:

wedding pic:

In England, Jason putting on Lt Cdr. (about 2 years ago)

Monday:
Happy New Year!
Let's see...I spent my childhood mostly in the western suburbs of Chicago. We lived in the same house from the time I was 3 until I left for college. I loved my small town, and have great memories from there, but haven't been back since 2007. Someday we'll plan a vacation to the area, and hit Chicago at the same time.

I have an older brother who is crazy smart. (think Leonard from big bang theory but and athletic and not quite as geeky.) He's married to a crazy smart wonderful woman (think Amy Farrah Fowler, but cooler and Asian). I hope someday they have kids, but it's not looking very likely at the moment. They're both way too career oriented.
Next, I have a younger sister. We were pretty close growing up despite our 6 year age difference. When she hit high school, my parents moved across the country to Texas, and she started having some issues. Basically, she doesn't really want to be involved with family much. We respect her decision and her need for privacy, but it is hard to remember around the holidays. She's a counselor for battered women and children, as well as kids in foster programs.

Lastly, there's my younger brother. He's 9 years younger than me, so we rarely see eye to eye on issues, but we still have a good time together. My parents adopted him from the Philippines when he was 3. He's currently in college.

I attended college at the University of Texas at Austin. More on that tomorrow.

When I was little, I was an extremely focused child. I'd spend hours in our playroom coloring or tracing coloring pages while listening to records or cassettes. I still LOVE listening to audiobooks, and can listen to the same story over and over and over. That's how I fall asleep at night actually. Audible is a godsend. I have a fantastic memory for song lyrics, and can bust out tunes based on any phrase that is catchy. I love to sing, and spent most of my high school career in the auditorium or choir room. I participated in show choir (think glee), church choir, every play and musical offered by my school, and even a couple local theater group offerings. I taught piano to elementary school kids for extra cash.

As an adult, I try to focus less on pleasing others (performing) and more on pleasing my immediate family/friends/self. I do lots of crafty things. Mostly sewing and quilting, but I can crochet, knit, embroider, make stained glass, paint, you name it, i've tried it. I like to believe I can do anything I want to. One of my dreams is to completely gut our family bathroom and build it back by myself (with the small exception of the plumbing, I have no desire to deal with leaky pipes)

I'm not currently working, but I was employed as a consultant in the IT industry. I was laid off shortly after having my son, but it turned out to be pretty good timing as we were getting ready to be stationed overseas. I would have had to quit my job eventually anyway. I do want to be employed again eventually, but not in the same field. I'd love to do something more physical and/or creative. Architecture or something to do with designing/building houses. I wouldn't mind civil engineering even. Or on the other end of the spectrum, gemology. Realistically, I will probably end up teaching.

More about college and DH tomorrow
navywifey2003 likes this.

Last edited by bluesparkles; January 3rd, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: update
December 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I look forward to getting to know you better!

December 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to hear more about you

December 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to know some more about you! I will try not to hold the fact that you are a longhorn against you

December 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
can't wait to hear more!

December 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykathleen View Post
Good to know some more about you! I will try not to hold the fact that you are a longhorn against you
don't tell me you're an aggie!

January 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesparkles View Post
don't tell me you're an aggie!
Oh heck no! I was born and raised a Sooner but got my education as a Red Raider!

January 6th, 2013, 10:19 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh what a cute lil guy your DS was!! And yikes sounds like your first pregnancy was tough! Hugs!

January 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Wow your pregnancy sounded rough, I am glad it's smoother this time around!

Did you like living in England, other than everything else that happened of course.

January 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran
England was fabulous, but I am a warm weather girl. I couldn't live there very long again due to a circulatory problem, unless we lived in a new house with inexpensive but very good heating. I get something called Reynauds Syndrome in my hands and feet. Our house in England was great, but only had a couple of radiators, so the temp was a balmy 64-66 degrees year round. Nights were really cold. Plus, it cost about 700$ to fill our heating oil tank every 6 weeks. Way too expensive.

January 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Wow! Yea Im a warm weather girl too!

January 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Super Mommy
Geez, I thought I had it rough with my DS2! Babies who don't sleep are the pits. Thank God they actually do end up sleeping through the night. My son still wakes two or three nights a week, but typically falls right back to sleep. He start sleeping through the night until he was 11 months old! Our boiler system was like that up until this last fall when we got it converted to gas. We paid about $1000 every couple months to fill it up, way too pricey!!
January 8th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran
i'll try to remember to post some pics from England this afternoon. Right now, I'm off to my gender scan!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search