Any potty training tips for a little boy?! Advice needed!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My goal is to get Mr. Gabriel potty trained before this little baby arrives. I just don't want to do two babies in diapers if I can avoid it! He turned 2 in September, and he is showing some signs of readiness. But I am clueless on potty training a little boy! I would LOVE some tips from some BTDT mamas. Thank you in advance!

I guess some of my questions...

-Do you teach them to hold themselves so they don't pee everywhere?
-When did you transition them to peeing standing up?
-When were your sons ready to potty train, am I being overly hopeful he is getting ready?
-What did you use to motivate?

I know it sounds like I have never done this before, but Jocelyn was just such a breeze. Two attempts and she did it. Only had like one accident after that. So I am freaking out a little bit.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
See I had the opposite experience. Katelynn did not learn to use the potty until she was 3. David was a little over 2.

We taught him to sit first. His little penis was way to small to teach him to hold it at that age, he is just not starting to hold it at 5 1/2. Once he mastered sitting, Kyle taught him how to stand. We got a step stool for the bathroom and he just lifted the lid and leaned forward. He did well with a sticker chart. Every time he went he got to put a sticker on it.
MrsLat likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're potty training our 2 yr old right now. My older son did it by 24 months. My younger could do it if he wanted. He is just more strong willed about doing what he wants. Lol. Both we train by sitting first, then transition to standing between 3-4. If I could just get him to poop in the potty, I would be happy. Wet diapers are no prob. Lol

January 2nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Very true. Gah, I tried it this evening for a bit and he sat on the potty then proceeded to stand up and pee on the floor right next to it lol. Maybe he needs a little more time :/

This is frustrating for sure.

January 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
Our son was 3 yrs and a few months when he was finally potty trained! He was motivated by a brand new big boy bike... and that did it for him!
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

January 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran
We didn't train ds, he did it himself new years day. He was 1 Minh past his third birthday. I tried the 3 day thing about 6 months earlier, and it was a massive failure.

January 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe my son just has a big butt...but when I sit him on the toilet, his penis hangs over the toilet seat! If I move him back, it's not comfortable for him because he can't bend his knees. I'm anxious to get to potty training him too. I needed more diapers and didn't pick them up at Costco today! Granted, the ones I have will last a while since I part time cloth diaper, but still...
January 2nd, 2013, 10:10 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH said when he pottytrained his oldest two boys he tossed a few fruit loops or cheerios into the toilet and told them to try and sink them.
I am working on potty training DD and we do a prize box. If she pees in the potty she gets one toy...poo she gets two...its a huge incentive for her. We hit up the dollar store for prizes...example...matchbox cars..books...little figures. Also potty books specifically has helped a ton. She reads her potty books on the potty. And those work wonders too. I have found stickers and the go so many times before getting a prize dont work for crap. At 2 its all about immediate gratification for DD. And i dont give candy cuz thats just too unhealthy for me. Hope this helps!
MrsLat likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
I like the idea of a prize box. Thanks for the tips.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:29 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has worked so amazing. Sometimes when DD doesnt want to go i remind her that if she goes she will get a prize and lately that makes her tinkle right away.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran
My sil had a hell of a time with my nephew because he was so small that even pushing his penis down when sitting to pee it would end up all over him! Just not the right angle... Someone mentioned to her to sit him on backwards straddling the pot, turns out its more of a natural downward angle... Then she progressed to him standing and leaning forward and he was already used to that direction. Just a thought! I never heard of that before! But she said it save a ton of mess!
wildchihuahua, LisaS and MrsLat like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sebastian had no interest in learning until he was 3. He is very stubborn, but after he did it once, it was all it took. He never had an accident. Not once. He started sitting down and just pushing it down to aim.

Then, he caught his older brother peeing standing up and wanted to do it too, so i put a bowl of fruitloops on the back of the toilet, toss a couple into the bowl and he played "sink the fruitloops" to work on his aim.

For whatever reason, he needs to be completely naked to pee or poo. I don't know why, but all his clothes comes off, even his socks. And he strips on his WAY to the bathroom, instead of once he gets inside, doesn't matter if we have company or not, AND he has to announce to everyone what he is doing.
Karen78 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 05:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH was deployed when SS finally caught on to potty training so I don't have much advice as it was a hard time for us and I didn't get to spend too much time with SS, but I have to say with him it was all about him being ready. He wasn't at all ready at 2 and then finally at 3 about two months before DH came home he started to get it. We had tried all summer long right before he turned 3 and it was a mess. Finally what did the trick was teaching him standing up. For some reason he just would not go sitting down. It was messy for awhile but I'd say by 3 1/2 he was much much better about aiming.

I'm convinced though it is in boys DNA to pee all over the bathroom though because he is 7 now and I still find his bathroom smelling of pee. The difference now is since about 4 1/2 he has been cleaning it all up himself.
MrsLat likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 05:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Peer pressure helped with my boys. They each had a friend that was learning at the same time. We also did the sticker chart when it came to pooping because they struggled with that more. They also both learned sitting first then standing.

January 3rd, 2013, 05:45 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have potty trained several kids bc of my work and started with DD at 15 mos. The most important thing I have found is to use underwear during all waking hours. With diapers/pull ups, kids can't feel when they're wet and you don't know when they've gone. I switch them straight to undies, pump them full of fluids, and sit them on the potty for ten mins every half hour. Boys sit, too. Get a potty ring with a pee guard if you have the pee on the floor problem. When they pee on the potty, they get access to so,e kind of reinforcer (a prize box, a special treat, or something like that, I find that edibles work best in this case bc they're gone instead of lasting through the next time around, you want to maintain the effectiveness of the reinforcer and if it lasts too long, it won't work nearly as well). With DD, we used one Annie's Bunny cookie. It is very important that whatever the reinforcer is, kids do not have access to it for any reason other than using the potty.

If they have an accident, they "practice" going potty, back and forth between the spot of the accident and the potty 3-5 times depending on the kid. We did 3 with DD bc she was so little. I have done 5 with older kids. They also have to change their own clothes and help clean the spot. A lot od kids cry during the practice part. it's not supposed to be fun. the idea is to make it a lot harder to have an accident than to use the potty. if all you do is change their clothes, nothing is different from the diaper. For BM accidents,there is no practice, they just change and help dump it into the toilet. It sounds crazy and you can't leave the house for a few days, but I have had kids fully potty trained in a weekend with this method. I highly recommend it. (Other than DD, all of this kids I have potty trained are boys.)
MrsLat and sunnydaze like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son just turned 2 and is barely showing any interest. I'm honestly not even trying to rush it or train him before baby gets here because everyone I've talked to said there will be setbacks once baby gets here. I honestly may not even push the issue until this summer when I am home all day with him after baby is born.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Regular
My son was trained at about 2, or just over. When we were home, he had NO clothes on, he just wandered around naked. He would not pee in his clothes, but would pee in a diaper or pull up, so it worked for him. He was trained to sit down, and it wasn't until he was about 4 that he learned to pee standing up. We live on a farm, so he peed on everything outside!! We also did the fruit loops target game, and prizes.

ETA: I also made sure that there was a potty nearby just in case.....so if he was watching a movie, I had a potty in there. If we were playing in the playroom, I brought the potty in there, etc. Once he got it, I put the potty a little further away and a little further away until eventually it stayed in the bathroom.

Last edited by Logan plus one Mommy; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
January 3rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are trying to potty train DS too so I'm not much help! My mom did tell me with my brothers she would squirt soap in the toilet so when they went it would make bubbles so obviously they only got bubbles if they went to the bathroom. Haven't tried it yet but going to try it this weekend.
Karen78 likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids were both 3 when they were successfully potty trained I had they sit to pee and it took until they were about 5 to stand.

January 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Well we made some progress! He is starting to like sitting and yesterday he sat down everytime he got gas sorry! lol. And yesterday he started telling me "I did it!" everytime he sat, haha. Is there any recommendations on how to get them to sit there longer? I guess books would work, anything else?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search