Day Care

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Logan plus one Mommy
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
So I have started to check around. There is not very many options in the little town I live in and surrounding areas. Wish I could stay at home with the little peanut. I figured it's best to start checking early though.
January 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Regular
I looked early with my first as well, just to make sure it was taken care of. I lucked out this time, my son's old dayhome said that she'd save a spot for this baby. I went through 2 other dayhomes before I found her, so it can take some time to find one you are comfortable with. My son started with her at 15 months, and LOVES her.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not sure yet if I will go back to work. I have looked at daycares near my workplace. (I work pretty far from my home). There are several different options, but I don't know the prices or if they will have openings, etc. I at least made a list of them and how far they were. I am wondering how it will work with them holding a spot, or if it will cost money to hold the spot, etc....
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good idea to look now. It's totally worth the months of research and visits when you find one everyone is comfortable with. Ask lots of questions and when you come up with new questions, return to the ones you like for more.

I am absolutely in love with my daycare. I've been taking my kids there since Jaleigh was 15months old. Kiefer has gone there since 3mo. Even though I plan to stay home with my kids after this one is born, I will probably still use them once a week for Mother's Day out.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Glad to hear all the input. I may have found someone, well a good prospect anyways!! Very limited here.

Anyone have prices info?? I know it depends on where you live. I have heard alot about 125 a week around here.
January 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I highly recommend starting your search now. As time goes on and you narrow down your choices I also recommend you ask about making surprise visits or to just "pop in" with a question.

I work in day care and the tours only give you a snap shot and you feel passive. Don't be afraid to do things like look under high chairs to see how clean they are. Ask about the cleaning schedules. Ask about teacher turnover rates. You are allowed to pick through the toys (wash hands first) to make sure they're clean and not broken. Keep in mind that during the day the room will get some grime and wear. Look for build-up or very old dirt. Also, if you see snot and hand prints at the head/foot boards of the cribs ask them how often these are cleaned as well as the slats. I've seen older babies moved up to a different room and a new baby put into the crib and they have not been cleaned down.

Finally, I would recommend you go with the daycare that you hear employees enjoy working at. The better treated and paid the workers are the happier the daycare environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
Glad to hear all the input. I may have found someone, well a good prospect anyways!! Very limited here.

Anyone have prices info?? I know it depends on where you live. I have heard alot about 125 a week around here.
$210 is average in southwest ohio for an infant

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Definitely start looking now and get your name on waiting lists! Some here are over a year. We love ours and they have the cameras in the rooms so I can pull it up at work and see what they are doing during they day. Ours is $120/week.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
WOW that's neat with the cameras you can check in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I highly recommend starting your search now. As time goes on and you narrow down your choices I also recommend you ask about making surprise visits or to just "pop in" with a question.

I work in day care and the tours only give you a snap shot and you feel passive. Don't be afraid to do things like look under high chairs to see how clean they are. Ask about the cleaning schedules. Ask about teacher turnover rates. You are allowed to pick through the toys (wash hands first) to make sure they're clean and not broken. Keep in mind that during the day the room will get some grime and wear. Look for build-up or very old dirt. Also, if you see snot and hand prints at the head/foot boards of the cribs ask them how often these are cleaned as well as the slats. I've seen older babies moved up to a different room and a new baby put into the crib and they have not been cleaned down.

Finally, I would recommend you go with the daycare that you hear employees enjoy working at. The better treated and paid the workers are the happier the daycare environment.

$210 is average in southwest ohio for an infant

Great points. The only type of daycares around here are the one were one person runs them out of their home and have no more than 8 children max.
January 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's very good! You should be able to pull up the health and safety inspections done by your state online. That will give you an idea of what to look for as you check out each home.

Be sure to ask who (worker and non-worker) regularly comes in and out of the home. Some people don't think anything of letting their teenager sit with the little kids while the employee is in another room doing a diaper change.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This only makes me more happy that I'm moving closer to my mother so that she can be the daycare. There's no way we could afford that. We're going to pay her, but she won't take more than $40 a week. I'm going to try to sneak in some extras for her or something, but she's pretty stubborn.

January 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine charges $125/week for infants. I pay $110/week for my 2 year old and I get another pay break once he is potty trained.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Wow you ladies live in areas with cheap day care, around here it would be an insane amount. Which is why for now I stay home we just couldn't afford it. I agree it's great to look now! I hope you find somewhere you are comfortable with!
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We pay $125 a week for in home, BUT she is so under priced it is crazy. We have tried to give her raises and she just won't take it. Typical around here is closer to $150 - $200 a week.

Questions to ask:
Who will be in the home while the children are there? Will the provider ever leave the children with someone? Will the provider ever drive with the children - do you need to provide a carseat for such purpose (And don't be scared to inspect their carseat) What holidays does the provider take - are those paid days or not? How much vacation time and how much notice will you recieve of vacations. What types of meals are provided, are special diet requests accommodated? How often do the kiddos sit in front of the TV, verses interactive play? Is any type of curriculum or teaching done or is it just unstructured play.

That should get you started If a provider gets upset with all the questions, then they are not the right person for you.

Kat.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it is a great thing to be researching now! Around where I live, for a well respected center that takes 6 weeks+, it costs between $150-250/week! It is pricey.

And some of the best centers have waitlists, so you can get on the list for the center you want to take your baby to. So good for you for getting started on it early!

January 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
That's very good! You should be able to pull up the health and safety inspections done by your state online. That will give you an idea of what to look for as you check out each home.
All daycares registered in my area have a star rating here and will have a report card of sorts for their inspections. I was surprised to see some poor marks for ones I visited that seemed really nice and organized. I ended up with a smaller daycare in an older facility that didn't have all the high tech stuff just because there was never a poor mark in the 10 year history. I don't know the infant rate but we pay $1100 a month for two kids (2 and 4) when other facilities charged $1500 a month
January 4th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I paid $225/week for an infant at an in home daycare when DD was going. I actually didn't start looking until about a month before I was due to go back to work. I wanted to see how the providers interacted with her and how comfortable she was in the environment. All the daycare centers here had high turnover rates for their teachers...the longest I saw was that a teacher had been there for 2 years. A lot of the in home daycares were kind of dark, dirty, and depressing. I ended up finding someone who had an in home daycare that she treated like a school. She added on 700 sq ft to her house, complete with little toilets and sinks for the kids. She also was one of the few who wanted to hold DD during the tour/interview.

Oh, and I literally visited EVERY SINGLE daycare in the area who had an opening. I didn't want to miss out on a possible good fit. In CA, we can get a list of in home providers who are licensed through the state and they keep files on them in case anybody wants to file a complaint.

Last edited by LisaS; January 4th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search