I have so much to learn!! So many little things...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze
  • 2 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been thinking lately and realize I have so much to learn. All these little things. Sometimes I feel so silly asking because it's simple things but I want to do my best i can.

Like when you take a child to day care or somewhere is it best to take car seat in or just take baby and leave car seat in car. Sometimes my SO may be dropping off and I will be picking up. Plan to have 2 car seats but not sure the easiest way.

And how do you ladies get a shower in with a newborn? just wait until they are asleep??

I'm sure I'll be fine i am just having a moment. haha SO much to learn. LOL
January 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The daycare will tell you I used to work at a daycare and parents left carseats if they needed to.
January 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Shower when you need too. I used to put the kids in a bouncy seat when they were super small while i showered, i let them chill in the bathroom.

When they got older, I put them in the playpen.

If they cry, they cry, it wont kill them.

I took the carseat with me if baby was sleeping in it, and usually take them to daycare after your maternity leave. I plan on hanging out with this baby for 4 months or so before I look for work.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
Like when you take a child to day care or somewhere is it best to take car seat in or just take baby and leave car seat in car. Sometimes my SO may be dropping off and I will be picking up. Plan to have 2 car seats but not sure the easiest way.
If you're using an infant seat I would recommend purchasing a second base for your SO's car. That way you're not paying for 2 whole car seats (only about $30-$50 for a new base). Many day cares offer a space for you to put the actual seat. At my daycare you put it next to the crib. The teachers prefer you to take the baby in because oftentimes they're sleeping and that way they can stay all snug and cozy in their seats and wake up gradually When you're ready to graduate up to the next phase car seat you'll have to ask about storing a larger seat.
Quote:
And how do you ladies get a shower in with a newborn? just wait until they are asleep??
I thought so, too. But as time goes on you'll discover better ways, lol. I finally just put my kid in a bouncer and placed it in the bathroom. He screamed like a banshee because I wasn't holding him but it didn't hurt him and he was safe. As he got older he could amuse himself with the toys on the bar. I would also put him in his pack n' play or crib. Sometimes the sound of the shower and the humidity of the room would soothe him to sleep. We're biologically conditioned to believe that if we can't see the baby then the baby is in danger. And you know that a 1 week old can't just get up and walk away so they're perfectly safe to hang out in a different room for a few minutes.
sunnydaze likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When Kiefer was little, we would carry him into the daycare in his infant carrier. DF and I both had a base in our cars so it didn't matter who was picking him up. As he outgrew the infant carrier, we had to break down a purchase two carseats because it is a hug PIA to unload and reload a convertible carseat everyday.

As far as showering goes, sneak one in when you can. When its not feasible to do while baby is sleeping, use a bouncy seat in the bathroom or put baby in the crib. Like previous posters said, crying for a few minutes won't kill them.

January 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks ladies, your input always makes me feel better.

I often wondered if we should get 2 carseats or just one seat with 2 bases. I wasn't sure which route to go there. looks like the one seat with 2 bases works fine as long as seat stays with baby.

And it really does make sense that when they are so little to leave them in the seat. Are the seats fairly easy to latch and unlatch from base?
January 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some are and some are a giant pain. When you are looking to purchase a seat, go to babies are us and test out how hard they are to get in and out of the base.

That was a hard lesson learned from my first to second child. I made sure it was much easier with my second.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We don't do daycare since I stay home but we never took out the infant carrier with Everett, we always wore him. Also if you go shopping and are taking out the infant seat put it inside the basket not on the seat part. I've seen a cart topple over with a baby on top of the cart. It was terrifying.

I agree with shower when they sleep. Take time to do that you will feel so much better.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One infant carseat, two bases is the cheapest way to go. Most kiddos will fit in the infant seat for at least a year (if not longer) Also little known fact - majority of kids outgrow a carseat by height long before they ever outgrow it by weight. We switched to 2 convertable seats around a year old because the infant seat was too heavy to lug around still.

As far as the rest, you figure it out as you go along. I used to stress about how I was going to get ready for work in the mornings. Now it is second nature. You just figure out what works for you and go with it. It also changes, frequently. So be prepared to go with the flow.
navywifey2003 and edgeofelise like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, it is so great to ask lots of questions when you can from BTDT moms. Just remember that a lot of it you learn as you and you will pick it up quick. You will find what works for you and your schedule and it will be come natural pretty quickly.

But yes, a lesson to learn which is was REALLY hard for me when I was a FTM was letting the baby fuss a little while I got ready. I just made sure that they were safe and secure and I just had to let them fuss or I would never have gotten a chance to get ready. As my peditrician used to laugh and tell me---"A little healthy crying never hurt the baby, just helps strengthen their lungs "

January 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Yep we did two carseat bases and one carseat that we left at daycare. As for showers- I used a bouncy seat when they were little and then gave them some toys and books in the crib as they got older. Abri hated when I put her down so I learned to take super fast showers and sing songs at the top of my lungs to try to make her stop screaming.
January 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran
Just a note for all you FTM. Right npw is an awesome time of year to buy a carseat/stroller especially if you want the good brand and not have to pay full price. Many stores have their 2012 stuff marked down in early January!
January 3rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh so much after baby comes you will figure out as you go...my doc gave me the best piece of advice when i was preg with DD....Babies dont come with manuals...you learn and adapt with each new situation.
Also ask us BTDT moms away its what we are here for...however..you WILL find what works best for you and your baby. What works for one of us....may or may not work for you or your child. Try not to stress mama. (I did however find that on some things advice from a mom whos been thru it recently is usually more current advice...as I have found as well meaning as it was alot of my moms advice was outdated...especially about meds for a sick baby...times have changed for sure)

January 4th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Feel free to ask questions. Do have confidence though. After two children (and pg with number 3), I still feel ackward holding someone else's little. However, taking care of my own was somehow just more normal. Instinct tells you what to do with your own (and you quickly learn they are not completely fragile).

January 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
Oh gosh so much after baby comes you will figure out as you go...my doc gave me the best piece of advice when i was preg with DD....Babies dont come with manuals...you learn and adapt with each new situation.
Also ask us BTDT moms away its what we are here for...however..you WILL find what works best for you and your baby. What works for one of us....may or may not work for you or your child. Try not to stress mama. (I did however find that on some things advice from a mom whos been thru it recently is usually more current advice...as I have found as well meaning as it was alot of my moms advice was outdated...especially about meds for a sick baby...times have changed for sure)
There is a lot of old school advice I followed and still follow. But you are right, she will figure out her own groove.

January 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM
thanks you all ladies!! I'm just like you said I'll pick it up as I go!!
January 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im not sure about the daycare thing, I did work in one but not in the infant room so Im unsure what their policies are but Im sure the daycare will tell you whats best for them and you.

As for the shower, I use to put my son in his bouncer and shower where he could see me and I could see him. Sometimes it was a nice long shower, sometimes not. And if he was sleeping of course I would try then as well if I wasnt too tired.
January 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i always dropped and picked up with daycare
BUT
i usually always took my son in with it because usually he was either asleep in it or nice warm and snuggly in it (during the winter months).
Its just easier to transport them in that little interchangeable carseat then unpacking an infant in the car

January 4th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We also had 1 carseat and 2 bases. When DD outgrew it, it cost us $600 to get 2 convertible carseats. Ouch!

I would always shower when DH came home. I don't care if the baby is sleeping or not...it's enforced bonding time for them. Sometimes if baby was inconsolable or really fussy, I'd use a water sling and shower while wearing the baby. It worked out great...he loved the warm environment, the hot water, and he could nurse. It always knocked him out so I could put him to bed when I got out. I tried not to do it too often though, since usually my shower time is the only time all day I have to myself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search