BTDT moms share unexpected things about birth with new moms (and helpful tips)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree67Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first two children, the hospital used pads there were also heating and cooling pads. You sort of twisted them until the heat or cold broke. If you tear or have an episiotomy, the cold pads are essential the first several days and the hot pads feel wonderful thereafter. They would bring several at a time. My rule - use one, pack two and ask for more I know of no where to purchase them.
eshute likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I overresearched everything birth and postpartum and read a million birth stories and lurked in later DDCs/PRs when people were having babies. To be honest I was not surprised by any of it, except that it all wasn't as bad as my fears. My birth was not everything I'd hoped for but overall it was fine. The worst part was not being able to shower for so long after the birth because my leg was dead from the epidural for like 12 hours. Which is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The first poop was indeed scary but it was several days before I had to deal with it

I think my favorite things postpartum were my daily hot sitz bath with Earth Mama Angel Baby postpartum herbs (you sort of make a tea and soak your bottom in the sitz bath in the tea). 10 minutes of heaven. And the Kellymom website for everything breastfeeding related. I was able to handle engorgement, plugged ducts and minor latch issues with the great info there, never got mastitis or had any major breastfeeding problems.
eshute likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My contractions did feel like bad period cramps, just to give another take on it.

We kept a plastic garbage bag or puppy pad in the car at all times, and we were glad for that when my water broke! I didn't make a mess of my leather getting to the hospital.

If, like me, you bleed post partum for MONTHS on end, invest in some cloth pads. I was soooo chafed by the disposable pads and pantiliners after wearing them for 6 weeks straight. This time I've got a small stash of soft cloth pads I can wear after the initial icky PP bleeding.

I agree with the other ladies about sleeping after the birth! I didn't do it with my previous two and ended up regretting it when they were up all night screaming and I didn't get any rest during the day because I was so busy talking to all the family. It's probably the only few hours you'll have where you KNOW baby will be sleeping (birth is tiring for them too!).
eshute likes this.
January 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OH! A lot of talk about BMs for mommy but it's important to know what the first couple of weeks with dirty diapers will be like.

My experience is with breastfeeding so with formula fed babies it could be different. But, in the first 24 hours the baby should have 1 BM and 1 wet diaper. On the second day 2 BMs and 2 wet diapers. And so on for about the first week. When I was in the hospital the nurse kept scaring me telling me that the baby wasn't getting enough. In fact, she said "As often as you say he's eating he should be having more dirty/wet diapers". My kid was actually ahead of the curve and wetting/dirtying more diapers than would be otherwise expected.

Also, your newborn may push out all the meconium (that sticky tar like substance) and then not have another BM for up to 10 days (again, breastfeeding). This is entirely normal! It means your baby is using 100% of what you're providing. I would alert your pediatrician at your first appointment to the fact that you have not seen a BM since the meconium so that they can make the call on whether to see you in a few days.

And as the other ladies have said about the lil squirt bottle they give you: HEAVEN SENT. I used it for a LONG time, until it broke! First it was great (nearly boiling water, ah!) and then it was convenient to hose down all the bloody mess, lol. After I was done using it I cleaned it real well and used it to rinse my baby's head after a bath, lol.
eshute likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
and if you expect to breastfeed and it doesn't work out don't beat yourself up
I was balling and crying to the pediatrician and a very kind nurse reassured me everything would be fine
best decision i made
Do what's right for you and your baby
MerinSun likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, you ladies seriously have covered so much! I too had no idea that DH and my mom were going to be put in charge of holding my legs. I didn't intend on my mother being up that close and personal, but like many have mentioned, at that point you just don't care.

Don't stress about packing a huge hospital bag, chances are most of it will sit in the bag and will never get used.

I had no idea that they would move us out of the "delivery suite" so soon after delivery. We were moved to a recovery room 2 hours after DD was born, at 2am. I was not a happy camper and certainly couldn't sleep if I wanted to.

Try to sleep when you can, but know you are in a hospital (if that is where you choose to be) and chances are nurses/doctors/hearing screeners/photographers/visitors will be coming and going all hours.

If you can, have someone pick something up or take something with you to eat after delivery. I was craving a sub and had DH get one on his way to the hospital. I swear that sub was the most delicious thing I had ever eaten. We were both starving in the middle of the night and it really helped.

Someone already mentioned this, but I will say it again... Clean out the room before you leave. Take it all! Take the diaper, blankets, formula (if using), bottles and anything they gave you to use.

Stock up on pads before you go into labor. You will need them when ou get home.
January 4th, 2013, 08:17 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow...I was moved to my recovery room within a half hour. I had DD and once the placenta was out and i was stitched up...the nurse took me to clean up down there and to see if I could pee...I totally did lol. And then bam off to my recovery room. And they encouraged me to walk to the recovery room and bathroom on my own. So i was up and walking around within a half hour of pushing her out.
Also i forgot to add....my tailbone hurt more than my hoohoo ever did after having her. For months sitting on a hard surface hurt!

January 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Everything was done in the same room for my 2 hospital births. So you may or may not be moved.

January 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Everything was done in the same room for my 2 hospital births. So you may or may not be moved.
It you tour the hospital, this would be a good question to ask. I guess I was surprised because I didn't realize we would have to move at all. In our hospital we moved from this really awesome birthing suite to a closet size room down a back hall.
January 4th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Yea ours were birthing suites everything was in there.

January 5th, 2013, 05:50 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone made wonderful points already. I will just second the cramps while BFing. For me with my 2nd, they were worse than the uterus massage by the nurses and most of my contractions. The plus side is that I was so focused on how painful that was that I hardly noticed how sore my nipples were during those first few days of BFing.

January 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
You could be lucky (like I was) and not have nurses pushing on your uterus. It's good to expect a crazy delivery, but it may be pretty "easy"! I was expecting to be sent home, or be in the hospital for at least 12 hrs before I delivered, and be pushing for hours. But I was 5cm when I got there and pushed for 15 minutes when I delivered which was about 3 1/2 hours after I got to the hospital.

I agree with taking the squirt bottle for your lady bits after you get home. You're not gonna want to be wiping that train wreck. And yes, buy stool softeners for home. They won't be as awesome as the hospital ones, but they will help!

They made me pee on my own before they would take out my IV. So expect to have an audience while you try to pee after your bits are swollen as crap. It's very hard to pee afterwards!! Especially if you have a shy bladder and know there is a nurse standing outside the door waiting on you. Ugh.

Your baby will sleep A TON while in the hospital, and probably fall asleep while you try to breastfeed. I was freaking out that my son wasn't getting much and that my milk supply wouldn't get started because he was hardly at the breast much. Just offer as often as you can and for as long as you can. And don't feel bad about asking visitors to leave so you can feed your baby. Really, don't feel bad about limiting visitors the whole time you're there. It can be very overwhelming.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

Last edited by Karen78; January 5th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
January 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from July ddc, what a great thread!
Karen78 likes this.

January 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally forgot the breastfeeding cramps! I had them pretty bad with my second, it was almost worse than labor!

I had to be induced with my first baby because I had to much fluid. My water broke way before it was time to push but when he came out the nurses and doctors all had to jump out of the way because their was so much fluid. My DH joked that it was like Niagara falls.

You ladies pretty much covered everything I can think of. I will say though that if you do not like how a nurse is talking to you or what she is doing then tell them you want a new nurse. I had the worse nighttime nurse with my first and she totally messed up my whole labor. I wish I had said something but it was my first and I wasn't sure that I could. I really regret that. Remember it is your baby, your body, and YOUR labor!
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such a good thread! I agree with everything said on here. It has made me remember all the details I tried to forget. I remember I totally would lose control of my body when having a contraction. If I was standing I would have fallen down if my husband hadn't been holding me up. It literally made me unable to hold myself up. I labored for a long time in the tub and that felt so good because I would just zone out and breathe, I didn't think about anything but my breathing and it helped. When they made me get out it was harder.

God bless the nurses, I accidentally kicked on when in labor, I pushed them away when they tried to massage me (I didn't know what the *ell they were doing and I was like "what? I thought I was done"). I remember I had this awesome nurse and she literally was spraying my bloody, torn vagina showing me what to do! I wish I would have written her a note to thank her because that has got to be the most draining job!!

January 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post

I agree with taking the squirt bottle for your lady bits after you get home. You're not gonna want to be wiping that train wreck.

Haha what a great way to describe it!
Karen78 and Mandamail88 like this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone already covered pretty much everything I can think of but the most important thing I can say is no matter what birth you have you can do it. Woman have been doing this since the start of man if they can do it you can too!

Also while it seems like eternity it ends, eventually that baby will come out so keep that in mind when its hard and long (I was in labor for over a day and pushed for 4 hours so I remind myself that to this day that it ends and it will)

Lastly I know someone said this but yes the shakes after birth are freaky but normal.
January 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
Lurking from the July DDC....as helpful as this thread is....it scares the holy sh** out of me....lol

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

January 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran
One more thing I thought of... I had this with my first two but not my son! After giving birth a few days after being home when is go to sleep at night I would wake up literally soaked with sweat! My doc told me this was the hormones leaving my body!! But was not prepared for waking up literally damp!!
MamaSkunk likes this.
January 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Oh oh about 3 months pp your hair will start to fall out in large clumps!
MamaSkunk likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search