BTDT moms share unexpected things about birth with new moms (and helpful tips)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree67Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2013, 09:33 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh speaking of sweating...you will probably swell up with awful cankles and the whole crap right before delivering. I was sooooo swollen with water retention i felt like a water balloon. You could poke my foot and get a half inch indentation that would just stay there for a few seconds...it was creepy! And I started pouring sweat to get rid of that water retention after DD was born!
And i second the clumps of hair thing....although it took me 6 months not 3 PP.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

January 6th, 2013, 03:30 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Great thread...

early labor-
1) Do not go to the hospital, right away. They may send you home and then you will be bummed out.
2) Get some sleep, rest, eat!
3) Exercise ball!! is a great thing to help with contractions.

active labor-
1) Try not to be on your back, we are not made to birth on our backs.
2) You do not have to follow hospital "rules". If you are hungry eat, if you are thirsty drink, you can refuse any type of test, you do not have to be hooked to a IV. They try and scare you into the rules.
3) MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE
4) if you want a natural birth, then speak up!

delivery-
1) be in some position that is not your back.
2) make sure your partner, knows how you feel and how things should be moving
3) request to not have a episiotomy
4) pooping happens

post delivery-
1) no need to cut the cord right away, they have found there are tons of vitamins and good blood in the cord. Wait tell it stops pulsing, then cut the cord
2) ask to naturally delivery the placenta
3) skin to skin right away
4) let the vernix soak into the baby skin, good for them.
5) keep baby with you!
6) your baby does not need all that crap, they do to them. They do not need eye cream, unless you have a std.
7) if you are keeping your son intact, then be loud and clear about it.
8) if you are nursing, be clear about it.

going home-
1) You do not have to stay at the hospital, check the "rules". Most will let you go after 18 hours.
2) wear comfy clothes, jeans are not very comfy after giving birth.
3) baby does not need to be all fancy, simple clothing works best.

other stuff...
1) BIRTH PLAN , BIRTH PLAN.. Makes copies of it, give to everyone you come in contact with! Have them sign it. Make sure they read it. Make sure your partner reads!!
2) I had a sign on my door, that said I'm going natural, be a angel and do not ask if I was drugs.
3) If the baby is to leave, make sure a sign is in the crib thing. About learning to nurse, so no bottles or pacifers. They even make shirts that say that.
4) REMEMBER YOUR BIRTH, NO ONE ELSES.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 6th, 2013, 04:06 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
The gamut of expressions/emotions I went through while reading all this:

Last edited by kit.kat.81; January 6th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
January 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I know it's been said before but really stand up for what you want. My second birth ended up at a different hospital without my midwife, who knew my birth plan. It happened so fast I got to the closest hospital instead. The nurses didn't have my info and tried to push IVs and antibiotics on me. Baby was crowning and I was in no mood to be polite so I yelled at them to leave me alone (I think maybe I used expletives). In that moment don't let a nurse or doctor bully you into something you aren't comfortable with. Make sure your DH/SO is willing to be he bad guy or have a doula. In my case DH was scared out of his mind with my crazy labor so I took it on myself to keep to my birth plan.
eshute and MamaSkunk like this.
January 6th, 2013, 06:46 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital will give a Vit k shot to help clotting, antibiotic ointment for babies eyes and a hepatitis vax unless you instruct otherwise. We opted for the Vit k but passed on the vax. Same for circumcising boys. Though more are asking since a lot of insurances no longer it.
January 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So much information! There are so many things I didn't know and wouldn't have thought of, even having women around me that recently had kids. I suppose maybe they don't want to scare me, haha. I'll definitely be making check lists from all these things.

January 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
. Make sure your DH/SO is willing to be he bad guy or have a doula. In my case DH was scared out of his mind with my crazy labor so I took it on myself to keep to my birth plan.
I second this....thankfully my DH has no problem being the bad guy if he thinks someones upsetting me or hurting me...hes way protective in a very alpha male kind of way. And since he has a medical background from in the navy hes not afraid to bark at a few drs and nurses
eshute likes this.

January 6th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Regular
I remember being SO freaked out by my hair falling out!! I really have nothing to add, I had no labour, delivered a preemie and had a c-section. BUT, if you have a c-section, get moving as quickly as you can. Don't lay in bed, start moving.

When you bring the baby home, just enjoy it. Housework can wait, laundry can wait, just bond.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

January 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I forgot about the afterbirth. Just because you are done pushing your baby out, doesn't mean you are done, you still have to pass the afterbirth, which is really fricken gross looking....like really gross. I still shiver thinking about it

January 6th, 2013, 02:03 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
^^ lol I think the placenta is amazing!

January 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
haha I wouldn't look at the placenta either time. With my second the nurse kept trying to get me to look at it...no thank you!
TeresaV likes this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I want to make a print of my placenta this time but I have to make sure I can do that and still encapsulate it

January 6th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I want to make a print of my placenta this time but I have to make sure I can do that and still encapsulate it
A print?? what is that?
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This thread is both amazing and terrifying. But I'm so glad it's here! You ladies are amazing at helping us FTMs!

Thank you Vicki.. for the beautiful siggy
January 6th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyandwife08 View Post
A print?? what is that?
Fair warning placenta pictures included in the following link. You are warned again in the blog

That Wife | The Placenta Print

January 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
OH MY GOODNESS IT LOOKS LIKE A STEAK!!! Well at least now I know what it looks like now...

I will say the print was actually kind of cute though. It kind of looked like a huge leaf.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

January 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Oh I got another one they may tell you to dry out the umbilical cord stump with alcohol wipes. In my experience its best to just keep it dry. It will fall off more quickly without wiping it.
mommyandwife08 and sunnydaze like this.

January 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember feeling disappointed that I didn't get to see the placenta :\ Nobody offered to show it to me!

I mean, I worked just as hard supporting the placenta as I did the baby, I wanna see it! lol

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Fair warning placenta pictures included in the following link. You are warned again in the blog

That Wife | The Placenta Print
This is kinda sweetly sentimental and I loved the print it makes...but still yuck at the same time lol a lil too crunchy for me. Id throw up if i had to touch it.

January 7th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Well considering I baked mine in our oven last time I guess it doesn't bother me I get it though its certainly not for everyone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search