BTDT moms share unexpected things about birth with new moms (and helpful tips)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree67Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So when I had my first my DDC did a thread where btdt moms shared things with new moms that sometimes you dont hear or expect.Also they shared tips. I thought I would start one here for our new moms.

I was surprised that when your water breaks it is not a one time thing! You keep leaking large amounts the whole time you are in labor! No one told me that!

I found the mesh underwear and pads they give you are amazing after birth!

Have a supply of witch hazel pads in stock for after birth. They are awesome for soothing! The hospital will give you some probably but keep lots in stock!

You dont have to rush to the hospital after your water breaks. If you can take a shower first..do! You dont know when the next one will be!

I will try and think of more!
eshute and bobbiejo1982 like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran

*takes notes*
TeresaV likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ask for stool softners as quickly after labor as possible. Trust me on this one. Even if you are not constipated, they help a lot. In my case, since I was a c-section I was on clear liquids until I passed gas or had a bowel movement. Between pregnancy and the tons of pain killers they were pumping into me, I was extremely constipated. I asked for one the next day and it was the best thing I ever did!

Get up and move around as soon as they let you and take a shower. It is rough, but it really makes you feel better and speeds the recovery.
edgeofelise likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keep the tips coming!!
January 3rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Be prepared for them to massage your uterus after birth. If you want to BF make it perfectly clear to everyone! They usually stock the carts with bottles ect also you can go with your baby wherever they take them, do not let them tell you otherwise! You can refuse any treatment (obviously in life or death situations it's different).

Don't worry about pooping while pushing you won't even notice. And they see it everyday.
sunnydaze likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Pooping while pushing is a big fear!
TeresaV and AKlobnak like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sit up during labor...dont lay down...itll go quicker if you let gravity help. Also when pushing you may empty your bowels...its a space issue. (Haha i was warned of this and told to try and #2 before i reached the pushing stage) Also...you may strip when close to the pushing stage...its normal completely. And the worst part isnt the pushing...thats easy. The hard part is the contractions. By the time you start pushing your body naturally pumps itself with endorphins which makes the hurting lessen.

January 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Your body really does its best before birth to clean itself out, it really is an amazing process!

In a natural labor you may completely loose control of your body. With Everett I laid down right before pushing and I had no control of it.

January 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Shew, what have I gotten myself into?!? Haha just kidding.
mommyandwife08 likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Do not feel pressured into letting ANYONE in the delivery room you aren't 100% comfortable with. Without going into great details publicly ... you might think you'll be too out of it to notice but that isn't necessarily the truth.

Ditto the stool softeners. I cried the first time I had a bowel movement after delivery.

Quote:
Pooping while pushing is a big fear!
99% chance you won't even know you did

You might just get the shakes. I walked from my delivery room to recovery room, and had to have a nurse on each side of me because I felt fine until I stood up and my whole body just started shaking. Totally normal, but kinda freaky when it happens.

A shower will never feel so good, yet be so awkward.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
You will likely be high and not able to sleep after delivery. It's the craziest feeling ever.
zkat likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow. I'm already addicted to this thread! Please keep it coming ladies, you've all touched on stuff I have questions and fears about and I love hearing your input.
AKlobnak likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you want skin-to-skin time with baby before they do anything, TELL THEM.. Otherwise, you may not get to hold baby for 10+ minutes. Also, if you plan to BF, I recommend asking them not to give baby a pacifier.
navywifey2003 and Lady KW like this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran
Know that no matter how your birth goes, all that you nee to remember is that you will have produced a beautiful little miracle. There is no perfect birth, sometimes complications happen that are out of your control! Do your best! All the gory details will be so worth it when baby Is in your arms!
LisaS likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks ladies love this thread.
January 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also If you want DH/DF/SO to cut the cord...tell the doc first...otherwise they may not give him a chance. Also....episiotomys are not a necessity usually. They used to always do them....you can request they dont...you may or may not even tear down their...and often if you do tear its less stitches than an episiotomy.
Also....dont be upset if your birth plan doesnt go as you hoped it would.....In other words..Sh*t happens.
edgeofelise likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Also on the birth plan bit, it is also okay to be upset as well, let yourself grieve but not too much. If you feel you may have postpartum depression don't be ashamed ask for help!

Don't be afraid to tell the nurses to come back later, especially if you are resting!

January 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Your birth will be like NO ONE else's ... my mom liked to tell me how fast her deliveries went and blah blah blah ... and mine have been NOTHING like her's.
edgeofelise likes this.
January 3rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Be prepared for them to massage your uterus after birth.
And by "massage" she means the nurse will push on your stomach with all her might several times. I thought it felt worse than labor.

Do your research on newborn procedures. My hospital will immediately put baby skin to skin on your chest (as long as baby is looking healthy), and will do the basic checks on baby and mom while baby is still there. They don't weigh or measure after at least an hour or two because that initial warmth and contact is way more important than how much they weigh. I would also recommend not bathing baby right away. It makes it harder for them to be able to regulate body temperature.
mommyandwife08 and crawmommy like this.
January 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't forget flip flops or slippers to wear while walking around the hospital between your room and the nursery, etc. The floors in a hospital are gross and somehow the little dinky socks they give you never felt like enough lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search