car seat travel system opinions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By LisaS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok so some discussion in another thread had me thinking about this.

I think I have decided to get the 1 car seat and 2 bases one for my vehicle and one for So vehicle.
Is there really any benefit to have 2 seats instead?

Also seen talks about a travel system. Do you prefer to get a stroller that goes with the seat or something separate?

Just wondering the best options. I'm sure you ladies now by now that I am a FTM so i always ask all your opinions
January 3rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We never really had need for two seats, but I see why some people would. We bought a system with my youngest that had the seat, base, and stroller, and it was nice that they all worked together. Everything just clicked together and you were ready to go. My biggest problem was that the stroller that went with the system was kind of big and clunky, so traveling with it was kind of a pain. It took up all the room in our trunk, so we didn't have room for much else.
January 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I had one travel system the first time around and hated it. The stroller was big and bulky just not practical. The second time around we had a huge double, again I hated it. I mean I liked it for awhile since David and Katelynn are only 18 months apart but it was just huge. Our third time around we bought a city mini and an awesome baby carrier. We have had the city mini for awhile now and I love it still. It's pricey but worth it! You will need to a carseat adapter for it but the one handed fold and the tiny way it folds is amazing.

January 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never saw a need for two separate car seats, but I always did like having two car seat bases. I did like my travel system that I had with Jocelyn, but I agree, that they are pretty big so you have to keep your trunk basically empty to fit them.

January 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I *loved* my travel system! When I would go shopping I'd use the stroller instead of a cart. The stroller is definitely more bulky but it's also more sturdy and can handle some pretty awful abuse, lol.

I have the Evenflo Aura Travel System

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a travel system. I had the Graco Snugride. With practice it could be closed one handed...although it was big and bulky...in our car it takes up the whole trunk...in our suv its no problem. But I love Graco like crazy for car seats. They are the best. When i was preg with DD i quizzed nurses and drs...as they do know alot on carseat safety for when baby is sent home. Also talked to a few police i knew as well as a firefighter i know. Consulted my family etc and they all said Graco was top of the line for carseat safety. And what made me feel at ease the most was the cops and firefighter i talked to told me that Graco carseats always survived wrecks better. Which for a worrywart like me....thats what counted the most.

January 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM
Veteran
I didn't have an exact travel system but my carsear did clip into my stroller. I have Peg Perrego ... yes more money than graco but I've used it with three kids and my sister in law is using it now too till I need it again in june! I think you will want the base to clip in for your newborn! Especially a summer baby! I've had june july and august and mine got a ton of use as they are too little to just be in the stroller

I ,mentioned buying in January and buy last years models will save you! I got 1000$ worth fpr 640
January 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We did the travel system with 2 bases at 1st then we went to 2 different car seats for the next size up...but I think the new newborn carseats last longer. Honestly as soon as your baby can sit up on his/her own you will not be lugging around the travel system you will just use a stroller.

January 4th, 2013, 06:11 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
We did the travel system with two bases since DH would have my son at times if he was off and I was working. That worked awesome when he was small.
As he got heavier we switched to a regular car seat which we have two of.
Again its just easier than switching the car seat back and forth every couple of days.
The travel system stroller is nice when the baby is still in the car seat because it snaps right on.
As Liam got bigger though we switched to a smaller lighterweight stroller, almost like a supersized umbrella stroller with storage underneath. Much lighter and takes up less room. Not sure what we're going to do yet with two.

January 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We needed two carseats when DD outgrew the infant carrier because DH would always drop DD off at daycare and I would pick her up. We had to have a seat in each car. You could skip the infant carrier altogether and just get a convertible seat that would last you through toddlerhood and beyond if you want to do that. We had the whole travel system, but I ended up wearing my babies all the time and never used the stroller at all. In fact, I've had it out on loan for the past 6 months and don't miss it at all. Even my 2.5 year old will walk all day at Disneyland or the zoo just fine.
January 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input...So many choices. Not sure which way to go. LOL
January 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Go to the store and test the strollers push them fold them ect.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You should put more thought into your stroller than any other piece of equipment. Cribs, carseats - they all have the same safety standards. Strollers have so many options that it is over whelming. I spent multiple hours in BuyBuy Baby quizing the dude and taking strollers for test drives. I ended up with the City Mini and it is AWESOME. Steers one handed, folds up flat with one hand and light weight.

Honestly, I would buy a stroller for long term use, not based on the infant carseat. Almost all strollers sell infant seat adapters so you can make your carseat work with most strollers. Most kids do not need the infant seat attachment beyond 6 months or so. Once they have good head control, they can go straight into the stroller.

What situations do you think you will be using the stroller for the most? That is a huge consideration in your stroller. Urban vs. suburb, public transit vs. private car etc.
navywifey2003 likes this.
January 4th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Skip the stroller and buy a wrap!!! You stay closer to baby, baby can look around at more than just knees, and it's a good workout for mama. Walking around the zoo with a 20 lb 1 year old strapped to you is darn good exercise!
navywifey2003 likes this.
January 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I agree with Lisa and Kat. We do both our 4 year old is the one who mainly uses the stroller. And the city mini is amazing.

January 4th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Super Mommy
We bought one of the Chicco travel systems and I was over that stroller after a couple of months. It was great when DD was asleep in the car seat and I didn't want to take her out, but other than that it took up so much room and was so bulky. We had one car seat and two bases. I never saw a need to buy another infant seat. Having two bases, one in each car, was enough for us. When DD was 3 months old, we purchased the Chicco Liteway stroller due to needing more trunk space for a vacation, and it has been a good stroller. I haven't used the travel system since and still use the Liteway today. Shop for a long term stroller that will accommodate a smaller baby. That requires a good recline position. If I had to do it again I would not buy one of the standard travel systems.
January 5th, 2013, 09:54 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the travel system with multiple bases as well which worked great for my car, DH's car, and in my mom so she could pick up baby sometimes. I also hated the big bulky stroller that came with the system once I really tried using it. I had a Snap and Go that I was given and used that exclusively when Drake was in the infant seat (I kept him in there till about an year) and after I did use the stroller for a little since it was easier to manage when he was bigger and I didnt have to wrestle with a carrier to put into it but it was still hard. In the end I got a small umbrella stroller to use (a fancier one than just those $1 ones) and have been using that since. For this next one I have the same bases but need to get a new car seat (my cats made a mess of Drake's) but I will be using the Snap and Go nad not buying the big stroller with the car seat

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search