Your newborns stomach

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By Steph625

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
So I was reading another article about breastfeeding myths that came accross my FB feed and one of them was about your newborns stomach size. Basically it was saying how colostrum is never enough. Then I remembered seeing a great picture analogy of your babies stomach and how much it can hold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=size...0&bih=208#i=10

January 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Babys stomach is the size of a ping pong ball i was told....colostrum is more than enough!!

January 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
After a week it expands to the ping pong ball, first it's small marble, then the mare shooter.

January 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is how I feel...the female body was made to provide for our babies, women have been doing this for longer than I can track. When formula became popular in the 70's and manufacturers made this huge push and had many people believing it was better than breast milk that is where all this crazy info stems from about. Of course manufacturers want us as moms to second guess ourselves so we buy their products... they are greedy! With that being said I do not judge anyone for their decision to breast or formula feed, that is not my place. I think there are situations where formula may be better actually, it just depends on each persons situation. I just cannot stand articles/people really trying to prove that our bodies are not capable of providing when it has been done for thousands of years! Ok that's my rant lol!
navywifey2003 and MamaSkunk like this.

January 3rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
I could not agree more. It is also not my place, I just wish I had someone giving me this info with my first instead of everyone telling me 50,000 other things.

January 4th, 2013, 03:24 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree!!!

January 4th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I agree! I always felt bad at my old job when moms told me they couldn't continue BF because it "wasn't enough". Turns out most of them all gave formula at first. That stretches their little stomachs out so the baby expects that "full" feeling the next time. And if the mom BF and baby gets that little amount of colostrum, they cry because they're not as full as before. I wish hospitals put that picture of the stomach size up in every room. Those 2oz bottles are much bigger than a marble OR a ping pong ball!
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Part of the article also talks about how the stomach does not expand until later which is why when a baby over eats they spit up.
Karen78 likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for posting all these articles about breast feeding. I've decided to breast feed with this baby and its all new and sometimes overwhelming. I'm excited and nervous at the same time and these bits of info are so helpful!
navywifey2003 and Karen78 like this.
January 4th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I'm glad I can be helpful! That is my only intention and not to make others feel judged for their choice. I know like I said in a previous post I wish I had this information before.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search