WARNING very emotional material. Safety precaution that's never crossed my mind!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran
This woman's story appeared on my Facebook tonight.

When I was in Childcare EVERYTHING over 30 inches was strapped to the wall.

After three kids with one more on the way it's never even crossed my mind to do this in my own house!!!

Love, Light, Laughter and Chocolate - One Mom's Journey: Be with me. Just for today.
January 4th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Super Mommy
One of my friends posted this the other day and it's so very heartbreaking. I ordered some straps right after.
January 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
I code ambulance trips and my first week I coded a 1.5 year old who pulled a tv down and didn't make it. Very scary. I think it was a week or two later I had another that ended up being okay. It seems to happen often. I think the first was one of the older heavy tvs.
January 4th, 2013, 07:31 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
All of our furniture is the prefab stuff like from Ikea which I have yet to find a way to get a strap on them
any suggestions?

January 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I belong to another forum where the same thing happened years ago to a member and her 3 year old son. I wasnt around when it happened but she talks about it every year as a reminder and I am very conscious of this thing now.
January 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh i am making my DH buy straps tonight...this terrified me as DD often digs thru her dresser and has lately started climbing into the drawers....and her dresser is a much taller 20 year old piece made out of hard wood. I couldnt even read the whole thing. Had to stop.

January 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran
Hilachu.
What we used at the daycare was L shaped bracket you put a screw through the bracket into the wall into a stud in the wall. The L shaped bracket is actually inverted on the wall so the bottom line comes out from the wall at the top! This you line up with the piece of furbitures top that you are securing and put a screw through the top of the bracket into your dresser.

The sad part it really does take five minutes... I can't imagine the guilt.
January 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't have any high furniture in DD's room (mostly 2x3 cubbies laid down the short way so 2 cubbies high) (most of her clothes and stuff is on hanging shelves in the closet) and our dressers are strapped to studs. No bookshelves or entertainment center anywhere. I am very aware of this danger and with a LO who loves to explore and climb and get into trouble, I am on high alert!!

January 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I just read this...how sad. Where can I see these straps? I would really like more information on this.
January 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bobbiejo...you can buy L shaped brackets at any home improvement store...and if you talk to someone there let them know your securing furniture to prevent a child from pulling it down and someone should be able to find you the correct things if your unsure.

January 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
ok thanks, i kept hearing you guys say straps so that threw me off.
January 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hysterically sobbing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search