Homemade Baby Food

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Regular
I know being a first timer my thoughts may change on this completely once the baby is here, but I am thinking of making my own baby food. Did anyone else do this with your first or is anyone else considering? If so, what was your experience? How is preparation and how much time is involved? Did anyone use the baby bullet?
January 4th, 2013, 04:24 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This is what I've done for my children. They were exclusively bf'ed past six months, until they were old enough to sit unassisted. Good first foods are mashed banana, mashed avacado, and egg yolk hard boiled (they cannot digest the whites this young!) and mixed with breastmilk or formula to a smooth consistency. After that we gradually start feeding whatever we are eating ourselves. It isn't time consuming, saves so much money and you know for a fact that your baby is getting whole foods that are freshly prepared. I really recommend for anybody to make at least most of their baby's foods at home!
navywifey2003 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did baby led weaning and used very few purees. From 6-12 months, food is mostly for practice, not nutrition so we used mashed up foods - typically what we were eating within reason.
January 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did all homemade baby food and plan to again this time around. A book that I loved is Baby Love by Chef Geoff Tracy. He has restaurants in DC. His book is fun bc it has great purees for babies and also toddler recipes adapted from his restaurant menu items. There is also a section for adults in the back. I HIGHLY recommend it. I spent a couple of hours every few weeks. I did not have a baby bullet. I have a killer Kitchenaid blender that really gets the job done. I would make the food and freeze it, the we just got it out of the freezer when it was time to eat. I had a great experience doing it and DD ate foods other kids just don't eat, like figs. As a two year old, she eats fruits, veggies, and roasted or grilled meats. A lot of the typical kid foods, like breaded chicken nuggets, she won't touch. I say go for it! I think it is great for the baby and it makes you feel like an awesome mom!
January 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did make food when my daughter was little, I froze it in ice cube trays. This time, I plan to just let the baby eat mashed up finger food and not worry so much about pureeing everything. Like what zcat said. I am totally skipping the rice cereals and such.

January 4th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did homemade baby food with DD. I used a food processor, since it's what I had and I didn't need any special equipment. I steamed veggies and meat and threw them in the food processor. Added some fresh breastmilk to dilute it down a little, then froze them in ice cube trays. When they were frozen, I took them out of the trays and put them into plastic bags. That way at meal times, I could grab 1 cube of veggies, 1 of meat, and 1 of fruit.

With DS, I did baby led weaning. No purees at all, just gave him soft foods to play with and experiment with. Much easier!
January 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Another vote for baby led weaning/baby led solids I am too lazy for extra work in making special purees! I would cut up some spears of pear or avocado or sweet potato for her, and give her little bits of things, beans smushed quickly with my fork, strips of meat, etc. But all just picked out of whatever we were eating or had lying around anyway. She still eats whatever we are eating and is getting pretty good with a spoon and fork (when she wants to.. sometimes throwing it on the floor is much more interesting ) She eats everything... oysters, sushi, spicy food, you name it!

I recommend the Baby Led Weaning Cookbook as a great resource.

January 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We made a few purees with Everett but mainly blw. It was so easy.

January 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea that baby purees were optional and never heard of baby led weaning! I need to find out more about blw for sure because it sounds like a great option and looks like it helps kids eat a wider variety of food. Thank goodness for this site and you ladies!

January 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Everything when raising kids other than car seats, clothes, and diapers are optional.

And feeding them taking care of their basic needs. Anyways you get what I mean.
eshute likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We did a fun little combination of jar food, homemade, baby led, and "whatever" lol

We mostly bought the jar food for items that we didn't want to spend time making or that we had rough luck at getting right (Mangoes are always under ripe or rotten, lol.).

We did homemade for a lot of fruits like bananas, strawberries, etc. We also opted to eventually use the blender to make our own oatmeal infant cereal (make sure to always check for big bits). I'm not a fan of rice cereal but oatmeal is so good for you! As the baby got older I made my own fruit/cereal bars, muffins, etc. to feed him. Making mashed peas, carrots, sweet potatoes is really easy if you have a nice steamer/blender.

I would frequently let Alex sample soft things from my plate. As he got older and could eat more complicated things I always shared things from my plate. With a few exceptions he is now expected to eat the exact same dinner as us at 19 months. I do not make a separate meal for him. If he has chicken nuggets it is because I'm having chicken nuggets, lol.

Basically, if something was easy I did it. If it got too complicated we no longer did it.

edit: I would also highly recommend avocado, banana, sweet potatoes, applesauce and other similar things as first foods instead of cereal. The idea that you have to introduce veggies or cereal first is a myth. I always found it easier to introduce a veggie after a fruit much more easy. Especially because you could blend them together. The same with cereal. And who wants to eat plain oatmeal anyway? So much better with some yummy banana or applesauce. And green beans with pears is also a delightful combo.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Last edited by MerinSun; January 4th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
January 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Regular
Thank you all for for the wonderful tips/advise/suggestions! That answered a lot of my questions, some I didn't even know I had! Lol. I will definitely check out the books recommended too. Read up on blw. I want to be able to provide a variety of foods to my little one so as not to have a picky eater. Also, to provide a healthy balanced diet. Thanks again for your input ladies! Y'all are great!
January 4th, 2013, 09:12 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if I am just blessed with a good eater or if it was BLW but Bourne is a fantastic eater. The only things he will not eat are ham (of any shape or variety) and beans. Both he has rejected since we first started offering them. They make him shudder he hates them so bad.

I also ate a large variety of spices when I was nursing him so he was introduced to a lot of favors early his life.
He actually pushed away ice cream in avor of my sushi.
January 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Veteran
Who knew their was a method called baby law weaning!! LOL it's pretty much exactly what we did! Who knew??? So easy!!

Led not law....
navywifey2003 likes this.
January 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely do not want to spend the money on the crap jarred foods that have who-knows-what in them. My aunt did homemade pureed food for my 2 cousins and said it was super easy: puree food, put spoon-sized globs on wax paper, and freeze. I think ice cube trays would be a little easier to store in the freezer, but same concept. I am definitely looking into BLW more. Also, I have read that rice cereal is pretty much useless nutritionally, so I will stay away from that.

January 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
A friend got me a Baby Breeza machine. It's awesome. I used it all the time with my son. It steams the food and then purees it afterwards. Plus you can use it for yourself if you just want some steamed veggies (NOT pureed, obviously). I used it for most veggies and fruits when my son only had a couple of teeth. It was also great for meats. He would choke on them if they weren't pureed.

Not much extra time at all!! I got containers with lids to put in the freezer for when I did a big batch. That would last about a week.

January 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to try making my own this time. I am looking at the different pureeing equipment.

January 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran
I guess we did blw. DS wouldn't touch purees at all. It must have been a texture thing. We did lots of fruit, special k cereal, and freeze-dried stuff, peas, cheeses, yogurts. The only thing he still doesn't like is meat. He's ok with chicken now, but wouldn't eat it when he was younger, but he has yet to eat a bite of red meat. He will eat ham on occasion.

January 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Super Mommy
I made both my boys' baby food, and they didn't start on solids until after 6 months, when they can sit by themselves. You can actually go much longer than that, the whole first year if you want! I just used my food processor and froze it in ice cube trays, too. Super easy that way. Baby food in the jars is just pretty gross for the most part, and very wasteful.
January 6th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla0709 View Post
I made both my boys' baby food, and they didn't start on solids until after 6 months, when they can sit by themselves. You can actually go much longer than that, the whole first year if you want! I just used my food processor and froze it in ice cube trays, too. Super easy that way. Baby food in the jars is just pretty gross for the most part, and very wasteful.
this may sound silly but I keep reading after making the baby food, freeze them in ice cube trays. How then do you feed it to baby when you take them out of the freezer? Like how do you thaw them? I have never done this DIY stuff either but reading about it is making me definitely wanna look more into it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search