Breastfeeding moms who had a c-section

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By loveneverfails
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been researching a lot lately about how to handle breastfeeding after a c-section. I know a lot of this depends on if my twins are healthy or not but I really want to be able to breastfeed but I know that a c-section is a possiblity for me.

Anyone have any advice on this? My main concern is that when my sister had her baby she had a c-section and within 30 minutes they had him in the nursery feeding him a bottle. She wasn't planning to breastfeed so she didn't care but I don't want that to happen to us. Also I know if a c-section does happen I won't be able to provide skin to skin right away, I am hoping that they will allow DH to be with them and provide this rather than sitting under a heater. Does anyone have experience with this?
January 5th, 2013, 07:29 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont...but tell Drs and nurses...tell everyone that you want to breastfeed. And i think you could pump and have a strict pumping schedule IF theres a few days they have to be away from you if theyare preemie.

January 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Super Mommy
With my c/s, as they were stitchin' me back up, my DH (and my mom) both left the OR with my daughter to go be with her in the nursery, where at that time they bathed her and did a few tests etc...Even though I wasn't able to be with her immediatly after the c/s it gave me peace to know that my DH and family were until she could be in my arms. I believe it was after being in recovery and into a room that I finally got to see my daughter (but that was 8 years ago so maybe they have changed their policy lol) I would LOVE to be able to hold this little one WHILE I'm in recovery. I believe that if you express to the doctors and nurses that it means SO much to you to have contact with them immediatly after and wish to breastfeed, I am SURE they will let ya Just make sure you press the issue so they KNOW how important it is to you
January 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Rochelle
Yea, I had 3 c/s's and BFed all of them for 18-24 months a piece. A birthplan/baby care plan is vital. Hand it out to everyone involved. Your DH will have to take over while they're stitching you up and they whisk the babies to the nursery for clean up. He'll have to make sure they know your wishes. Hopefully you have them vaginally though *thinking good thoughts for you*.

With bFing, my all time favorite position post c/s is the side lying position. that way the baby's head is in your arm-pit and your arm goes up behind your head. You can relax your body and the baby won't be on your sore belly. Relaxing helps the milk come down. Of course the Perkosett or Vicodin they have you on will take most of the recovery pain away so don't worry about that.

I know that postition only works for one baby at a time so maybe just sitting propped up with a boppy pillow or two? C/s recovery pain is pretty much gone after a month (for me) so your first month will be the toughest I gather.

Maybe this article will help: How To Breast-feed Twins After A C Section | LIVESTRONG.COM

And here's a sample 'twin birthplan'. Hopefully something in that helps too.
They Call Me Mama: Twin Birth Plan - Sample for a natural hospital birth
January 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you Rochelle for those links! That birth plan is awesome.
4hearts likes this.
January 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
^^ great advice!

Now would be the time to begin making your wishes known. Just gradually bring up things with your provider. There are also these great onesies Infant Note to Nurse TShirt and Cap. I have seen them less expensive elsewhere but I think they are cute. just be loud about your wants and make sure those closet to you know as well. Also breastmilk is amazing for preemies, your milk structure actually changes to support them because they were early (amazing right) many hospitals have donor milk specifically for premature babies, that has been screened testing ect.
edgeofelise and 4hearts like this.

January 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I had a c-section with my daughter (after going into labor on the way to my weekly checkup) and I got her right after she was weighed and got to hold her close right after they closed me up. If you tell them you want to BF after birth they should help you out.

January 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My hospital really encourages breastfeeding and does all they can to help facilitate that. I had a c-section and they allowed me to try in the recovery room to breastfeed. They brought in several lacatation consultants for me as well. Unfortunately Jd just didnt want to latch correctly and I ended up pumping exclusively. I figure it didnt matter to me how he got the breastmilk as long as he got it. He was able to go until 16 months that way so as long as there is a will there's a way. I mean short of no milk supply that is
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first c-section back in 2003 I was separated from my girls for a very long time post-birth due to my complications so BFing got off to a very bad start. They were given bottles and I don't think I got to try to nurse until the next morning, maybe? It's all a fog, honestly. Needless to say, they were bottle fed before I even left the hospital.

With my son I guess I got lucky because I was in a pretty forward thinking facility and they really never separated me from my son after birth. They did all of his newborn testing & exams right there in the OR while they were stitching me up, and then he was given to me in recovery to do skin-to-skin and nurse. He briefly left us for a bath while I got settled into my postpartum room and then he came back and was with us virtually my entire stay. BFing got off to a great start, overall. I don't think my c-section hindered it a bit. Just be clear about your intentions. They can't take your child away from you without your permission.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 5th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran
The only honest to goodness difference I had can be if you don't go into labour prior to your casarean it can take longer for your milk to come. My first casarean I was in labour etc and my milk was there no problem. The second and third caesareans it took 2-4 days for me to fill up! But don't give up keep letting them nurse it will come!

Also bring this up to your delivery doctor as long as you are healthy enough there is no reason you shouldn't get baby and be able to have the best start!

I'm amazed about your sister ... Babies really don't need to be fed that quickly after birth. But maye if they knew she wasn't going to nurse anyways...!

Another helpful hint! If you do have the casarean! Once they get you up, I always found it much better to get out of the bed and go sit on a real chair and nurse with my nursing pillow! Those hospital beds wher I've been (3 diff hospitals) the beds don't get you to that complete upright position and you it's hard using your core muscles to hold baby up and nurse and all that! Much less tiring to go sit in a proper chair!!

And remember! No matter how it goes do what feels right for you and babies and don't let any nurse or doctor make decisions for you! It's hard when you are in that vulnerable emotional state to stay focused! The birth plan, even if its just between you and your SO is a great idea!
January 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was away from my son for about 30 minutes after a c section and i dont think it mattered too much, They didn't give him a bottle or anything. He was trying really hard but it took him a day or so to get the right latch.

Once he figured it out, he was good to go. It really wasn't that different from bfing Alex, who I had vaginally.

January 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. My milk came in less than 24 hours after he was born.

This is where a tour of the hospital can help. Our hospital let dad in the OR as long as it wasn't under general. Dad was the first to hold and bathe him while I was stitched up. Baby didn't leave the OR until we all went to recovery, where he was weighed and measured. He was brought to me immediately and the lactation nurse had him latched on less than 30 min after his birth. It would have been sooner, but i was under general.

Of course, had Bourne needed any immediate care that would have been very different. I didn't have to ask for any of it because it was this hospitals general practice.

A mom in my Dec 2010 PR (a couple actually) had c-sections with twins and very successful breastfeeding. One is still nursing them at 2. I think the key for getting your milk in quickly is very early skin to skin and immediate latch.
January 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I had a c-section and started BF'ing within an hour. DH went with him to the nursery and then they brought him to me in the recovery room so I could attempt it for the first time. Then DH went with him again (not sure where, I think I fell asleep I was so exhausted!) and shortly after we all met up in my hospital room. It only took about 2-3 days for my milk to come in, but he BF on colostrum just fine until then.

January 5th, 2013, 07:10 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was so out of it by the time I got to the hospital (transfer from an attempted home birth) that I didn't have a written birth plan nor do I recall telling anyone at the hospital I wanted to BF. No matter, I guess they were just really supportive of BF because minutes after I was stitched up they wheeled me into recovery and I was nursing right away. I don't know how long it was before I got to hold her, but it didn't seem long at all. They held off on bathing and even weighing her and just gave her to me right away. It was awesome. My c-section had no impact on our nursing relationship at all; we went for two years and I never had any issue with supply or anything. Just make sure you're clear about your wishes with everyone and it probably won't be a problem.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sadly, I dont have an awesome BF after c/s story. I didnt even see DS until about 3am and he was born at 545pm the previous evening. He was on a feeding tube for a day or so...and then bottlefed while in the hospital. I told them I wanted to BF and they helped out, they loaned me the medela auto double pump machine & told me ways to try & get my flow coming in plus LCs for private instruction for the duration of my 5days in the hospital. We struggled & I ended up pumping for 6wks to supplement formula feeding. I could only pump 1-2ounces from both sides per session total.

I don't know how much of an impact the delayed contact & then further delayed BFing attempts had on our experience. I guess I just never really thought Id end up with a c/s and would just get to do skin to skin & bf right away. I'll be better prepared this time with my wishes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search