Question for team greeners

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karen78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Rochelle
I have a few questions about what are y'all doing about buying stuff and your registry (if you have one)..

-Are you waiting to buy most things until after baby/ies are out or are you doing gender neutral or are you going with your gut (ie: buying girl stuff bc your intuition tells you it's a girl)?

-What about with your registry?

-Are you having a baby shower?

Thanks. I was looking at some things for my registry and am so tempted to check boy things bc of my strong boy vibes. I figure I could always exchange it for girl if need be. Started wondering about what other Team Green parents are planning to do. We prob won't have a shower though.
January 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not team green but already setting up registry and for now Im trying to put gender neutral things...but a few things have slid onto the list that are leaning toward what my mom vibes say. Lol. You have WAY more willpower than me tho...i couldnt wait that long to find out!

January 5th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Rochelle
LOL.. you're feeling pink aren't you?
January 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle7 View Post
LOL.. you're feeling pink aren't you?
Yep I am....so ive stuck a few girlie things on my registry! Hopefully i can find out sometime in the next month though. I am dying to know if Im right. I joke that im like a cat....curiosity n all that lol. I was right with DD...so fingers crossed Im right again. I want DD to have a sister and that whole sister dynamic.

January 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle7 View Post
-Are you waiting to buy most things until after baby/ies are out or are you doing gender neutral or are you going with your gut (ie: buying girl stuff bc your intuition tells you it's a girl)?
Honestly, I really went with what I liked. I love the color blue. If I had a girl I would dress her in baby blues. With that in mind, I picked a travel system that was blue and brown. I painted the nursery blue. The bedding we bought was blue and white (fitted sheets only). I kept things "babyish" without getting gender specific. The vast majority of newborn/infant toys are gender neutral. The presence of a pink bow or hue doesn't change the toy.

Quote:
-What about with your registry?
I was very practical with my registry. One of the reasons for why I didn't want to know the gender was because I knew it would force people at my shower to purchase items where the gender doesn't matter. My SIL had her shower and knew that she was expecting a daughter. She got DROWNED in piles of clothing. Nothing but clothing and frilly things. They had to buy their diaper can and other necessities. I got all that practical stuff at my shower.
Quote:
-Are you having a baby shower?
With my first, yes With this one...most likely not, lol. Showers aren't meant to be a celebration of gender. They're meant for mom-to-be to have fun and feel pampered.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 5th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I will be having a shower this time but my 1st we didn't find out the sex either. When I registered I did gender neutral and really did not put a lot of clothes on my registry...just the basics onsies, socks, receiving blankets, blankets. I put all the things I needed bottles, bedding(I picked out really cute neutral bedding), diapers, wipes, shampoo/lotion, swing, toys ect. It all turned out good because when DD was born EVERYONE bought her tons of pink and I really did not have to buy anything!

January 6th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Rochelle
Mamaskunk- I hope you get your girlie. I have a feeling you will. I was right there with you during my last pregnancy. I had girl-baby fever bad. But I really thought it was a boy for the first half of the pregnancy. I really wanted DD1 to have a sister since she already had a brother. Now, I want a boy so badly so DS can have a brother and have that brother closeness. I'm impatient too bc DH is the one who's so adamant about team green. I'm alright with it but if he wanted to find out, I'd have no beef with it. So, I'm just having fun living vicariously through those of you who are finding out

Merinsun- All very good points. I put a couple of blue's on my registry and felt good about it bc, well girls wear blue too. I've never actually had a shower and this is my 4th baby, LOL. Now, I don't even have enough local friends and family to justify having one. Mom, Aunt, 3 friends. I dunno. Maybe that is enough. This may be my last baby so I was considering it. I've always felt weird about being the center of attention at a party though. I definitely don't need piles of clothes! Yay for team green! Do you have a gender guess about your baby? Did you do team green last pregnancy?

Melissa- Yea, I think you're right about that. There's sure to be gender specific gifts post birth so might as well keep it neutral. I think I'm going to set the things I put on my registry that are 'boy' as private and un-privatize them after birth if baby is indeed a boy. What's your gender guesses for your babies? Were you right last time about your daughter?
January 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went with gender neutral for my first. I had a huge baby shower over 120 people and everyone did really well with gender neutral stuff.

I actually think not knowing is better than knowing - all my friends who announce their babys gender get just a bunch of clothes for their baby shower. Since no one knew whether I was having a boy or girl I got my bouncer, my pack n plays, all the things that I really needed versus boxes upon boxes of clothes. That's my thoughts at least. Clothes don't prepare you for a baby at all.

This time around I need a few things such as two pack n plays - my DS broke both of ours before and we need one for the grandparents house, a full size swing since before we lived in an apartment and only have a travel and a new diaper pail. That's about all that I need because we did gender neutral before. Love it!

My family is nuts too though and we got lots of clothes as soon as the baby was born so much so that many things he never even got to wear. We felt obligated to switch his outfits a bunch to try to get all the outfits for a size in - more than anyone needs to have their clothes changed. LOL I won't be doing silly things like that this time. Poor baby doesn't need to model everything.

January 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was Team Green with my first and I just did gender neutral things. I set up a gender neutral nursery of yellow and giraffes and got the big stuff as gender neutral so we could use it again and again after for other babies. It worked well.
January 6th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
@Rochelle: Aw! How about you kinda talk about it with your mom/relatives/friends and instead do a nice ladies day out? Go to a favorite restaurant, get hair/nails done, catch a movie, walk in a favorite park, etc.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I was team green with my 1st pregnancy. I did what some of the other ladies did: minimal clothes on the registry. I put a few blankets and onesies....that's it. Everything else was practical stuff like a boppy, playmat, bouncer/rocker seat, diaper pail, stroller, cloth diaper thingies, etc. I knew I'd get hand-me-down clothes from relatives after the delivery. Bonus! Plus I think people like to buy clothes on their own. I know I do. I don't like looking at a registry to find a specific outfit. If I think something is cute, I'm getting it.
Karenna likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Rochelle
Karen- yea, that's what I ended up doing for the most part except I added boy and girl things that I'm keeping private until after the baby is born. 75% or more of the items are gender neutral and for cloth diapering. I'm going to make the right gender un-private after birth so if someone happens to ask my Mom or something if there's anything I need for baby, she can direct them to the registry.

I'm seriously thinking about going ahead and having the smallest baby shower known to man in May bc I've never had one before. But, it's still up in the air.
January 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
We're doing gender neutral clothes. I still have a lot of clothes from dd because we were team green for her and she's only 8 months old. Glad I still have her newborn clothes! I'm not sure about a baby shower. I really don't like them. I did have friends and family and coworkers give me presents throughout my pregnancy but that's about it. We don't do baby registries here
January 8th, 2013, 02:12 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
This is our third "green baby". We tend toward more gender neutral gear if we buy ahead of time, and a few clothing items. But really, it's never been a big issue. Baby doesn't need much right away that has to be gender specific. We won't do a registry and won't be having a shower. Once the baby is born we'll no doubt get lots of pink or blue as gifts.

And, eh, if we have a girl she may end up wearing some boy clothes that we have put away from my youngest. I'm not overly concerned with that aspect.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search