Stressed! Can I get a house/energy opinion?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2013, 07:32 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So where I live, most houses have both gas an electric. The gas is for heat, water, and cooking. The electric is for pretty much everything else. The kicker is that the electric is 2.5 times the cost of the gas. The development where we are planning to build our new house, it turns out, will not have the gas option. So we will be stuck with big, fat power bills. The house is pretty much everything we want though, and there isn't really another way to get what we're looking for in the area we need. I am so torn. Opinions?
January 6th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran
I love my gas... I use it for the dryer, stove, oven and furnace! We are also hoping to put a fireplace in at some point too.

I think you need to weigh the cost per year... And see if it's worth it to you? What are your other housing options? Etc?

I'm surprised in a new development they don't have this option.. Natural gas is more environmentally friendly than electric power.

Just have to go with what works best for you guys!
January 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your building your house....I highly suggest investing in solarpanels....especially if high electric is your only option. It may cost more initially...however your bills will be cut in less than half. In fact....Obama actually gives tax breaks to those that install energy efficient appliances and buy electric/hybrids....or install things ike solar panels that are an alternative energy source.

January 6th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfourmama View Post
I love my gas... I use it for the dryer, stove, oven and furnace! We are also hoping to put a fireplace in at some point too.

I think you need to weigh the cost per year... And see if it's worth it to you? What are your other housing options? Etc?

I'm surprised in a new development they don't have this option.. Natural gas is more environmentally friendly than electric power.

Just have to go with what works best for you guys!

I am really hurting over not being able to have a gas fireplace. That is one of the things I wanted most. It is hard to figure cost per year b/c of the size of the house. We had only electric when we lived in Norfolk, VA (gas was not an option downtown) and our bills were kinda hefty and the condo we had was about a third the size this house will be. It's 3 floors, plus basement. Six bedrooms, three and a half bath. So I'm thinking really expensive for electric heat.

Our other options are really only to buy an existing house. I've been exploring that option, too, but it is really hard to find a house that has the features we need in good shape at a decent price. We live in a high rent area bc of our proximity to DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, and military bases. Bc of my work, I drive all over and this is the location most centrally located. It is also an area with great schools for our kids, family close by, and an amazing preschool where DD will start in September. So we're in a really tough spot. This house is a really great deal, but we are already sacrificing a two car garage (small lots means room for only a one car garage) and now I'm losing my fireplace and won't have gas. But then again, to get the gas and garage in an existing house, I would be giving up a lot in what I want in the actual living space. Such a dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
If your building your house....I highly suggest investing in solarpanels....especially if high electric is your only option. It may cost more initially...however your bills will be cut in less than half. In fact....Obama actually gives tax breaks to those that install energy efficient appliances and buy electric/hybrids....or install things ike solar panels that are an alternative energy source.
I thought of this and researched it. There is no way we can afford the initial cost right now. I wish we could... They are really expensive.
January 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not sure if you are planning to live there for a very long time/forever but if not you will want to consider resale value...if you don't like the electric only option more than likely potential buyers will feel the same. Also, the 1 car garage may present a resale issue...I am not familiar with your market but in many markets a 2 vs. 1 car garage is a deal breaker for a lot of folks! Just different perspective to think about. Sounds like a tough dilemma I hope you get it all worked out

p.s remember that not even a new construction house is perfect, you will find things after you move in that you wish you would have done differently.
mommyandwife08 and TeresaV like this.

January 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
Not sure if you are planning to live there for a very long time/forever but if not you will want to consider resale value...if you don't like the electric only option more than likely potential buyers will feel the same. Also, the 1 car garage may present a resale issue...I am not familiar with your market but in many markets a 2 vs. 1 car garage is a deal breaker for a lot of folks! Just different perspective to think about. Sounds like a tough dilemma I hope you get it all worked out

p.s remember that not even a new construction house is perfect, you will find things after you move in that you wish you would have done differently.
Great advice, Melissa!

January 6th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I spent some time on the phone with our realtor and DH and I have talked a lot. We are going to consider some other options. If the other builders are offering good incentives, we may be able to afford a house in another development. It will be tight tho, and we may not be able to move before the baby is born. There is so much to consider! Maybe we should have tried to plan a move BEFORE getting pregnant. There is just no room where we are living right now. Our family of 3 has been cramped from the get go and now we have no room for the baby. I wish this had happened on a week day. None of the other builders we need to talk to are open today.
January 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used a wood stove in our house and I don't think my mom ever turned the heat on in the winter time. She would have to always have humidifiers out, but it made things really cozy in our house growing up.

My Dad has a wooden stove in his house too, but it is in the finished basement, but it manages to heat his whole house if he leaves the doors open.

It was a great money saver.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

January 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest a wood stove as well. They don't take up much space and you can use it in the living area where you spend most of your time, and save the electric heat for the bedrooms at night. We had one growing up and it was super efficient and cozy, but we also had a really small house. There was one in the basement too and if that was going the whole house would stay warm.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 6th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
Great advice, Melissa!
It's the realtor in me

January 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM
The resale is def a big concern. We're looking at some other (pricier) options, but hoping they may work out better. There is a development going in nearby, but they don't even start presale in March. We're dealing with the idea of moving with a newborn, but have decided if it means getting what we really want, we should do it. I just can't swallow the idea of paying so much to end up hating my home and being stuck there for years.
January 7th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
I am really hurting over not being able to have a gas fireplace.
You can still have a gas fireplace We live in the country with no gas lines. We have oil hot water heat. We have a full masonary fireplace, but had them drill a gas (propane) line into it. The line connects to gas logs. We have a small propane tank outside for it. Works well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search