Useless/best baby products

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Another great thread for our FTM! What do you think is the most useless baby product? What about useful?

January 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The diaper genie....useless! I never used it....the poos I always wanted out right then so i would toss em into the outside garbage can. And the pee diapers I would put in the regular garbage cuz i alwaysget scented garbage bags so i never smelled the pee.
Best product...My Graco baby swing that plugged in...swings that dont have a plug in use on average four batteries every couple days!
dmreed32 likes this.

January 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
The diaper genie....useless! I never used it....the poos I always wanted out right then so i would toss em into the outside garbage can. And the pee diapers I would put in the regular garbage cuz i alwaysget scented garbage bags so i never smelled the pee.
Best product...My Graco baby swing that plugged in...swings that dont have a plug in use on average four batteries every couple days!
This is already helpful for me because on the plane Friday I was thinking about baby things (we were on planes for like 8 hours, I had lots of time to think), and started wondering if we *really* needed a special diaper pale thingy, like a diaper genie, or if we could just use the regular trash. Thanks for this insight

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlechicksteph View Post
This is already helpful for me because on the plane Friday I was thinking about baby things (we were on planes for like 8 hours, I had lots of time to think), and started wondering if we *really* needed a special diaper pale thingy, like a diaper genie, or if we could just use the regular trash. Thanks for this insight
I did make sure to take the inside garbage out every couple days also...then again thats usually when the bag gets full in our house anyway

January 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on the diaper pails...useless. Also, I MAYBE used the changing table like...four times. It was kept in the nursery and like h3ll i was gonna take the baby to the nursery every time i changed a diaper. No, baby was changed on a receiving blanket in whatever room I happened to be in.

Swing was a must have, mine plugged into the wall and I ...and baby...couldn't be happier.

Don't forget to get a bottle brush (the thing you use to wash bottles in the sink)...and get an extra one for when that one expires.

And socks!!! Lots and lots of socks. I used them as double duty for mittens because Sebastian always had his hands in his face and wouldn't quit scratching his delicate skin with those razor sharp nails.

.............yes, I admit it.....i socked my baby's hands.

January 6th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Oh god i loved my changing table as DD got around 6 months cuz she was a total worm!!! I did change most diapers wherever we were on a blanket...but for getting dressed it was essential for my squirmy worm

January 6th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
See, that's funny because we LOVED our Diaper Genie. I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but it was certainly a convenience. I found that it kept in the odors really well. I never felt the need to empty it early because of a stinky diaper. And boy, there were some majorly stinky ones.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but the most useless thing in our nursery was the glider rocking chair. I hated that thing. I used it, because we spent the money on it and couldn't afford a different chair, but I found it horribly uncomfortable. As a FTM, you see them in the stores and the adverts and it seems like everyone has them and you think that's what you're supposed to get too. Don't.

Also, our changing table was pretty useless, but that's because it was cheap and the shelves were basically just pressed cardboard and they bowed and broke within a year.

Ditto on the swing being super useful, I couldn't have survived without that thing!

Another thing worth mentioning - probably common sense, but I'll mention it anyways - get at least two sets of sheets and waterproof mattress pads. When you make the bed, put down the mattress pad and the sheet, and then put the next mattress pad and sheet on top of those. That way if your baby has a blowout at 3am, you can quickly whip the bedding off the crib, throw them in the wash while your hubby takes care of the poopy baby, and then you don't have to bother with re-making the bed. Any time saved getting the baby back to sleep and getting yourself back to sleep is well worth it!

January 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Waste:
wipe warmer
Great:
bouncy chair - Liam slept in his the first three months due to reflux
swing - also a godsend for some sleep
this thing: Boon Grass Countertop Drying Rack : Target

we still use our diaper genie, works well for us
same thing goes for the changing table - used that up to about 14 months
great place to keep all his stuff and was much easier than getting on the floor to change him

January 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also never used the diaper genie thing. We also hardly ever used the swing, we used a bouncy seat much more, the one where it lays back. I loved and was addicted to my boppy, so much so that I hated to breastfeed without it. I will have to try to get better about that this time, haha.

We used our changing table all the time in the beginning. Her room was connected to the livingroom so it was easy. Now, the bedrooms are upstairs so we are going to put the changing table in the bathroom which is right outside the livingroom. I think it is going to work out so well because we have a super larger bathroom so we have room. Plus, the washer and dryer are there and so for cloth diapering it should be a great setup. We have room for a diaper pail too. I want a changing table that has drawers underneath to store all her diapers.

ETA: Woah I read that over and I said "her". A sign??

January 6th, 2013, 06:27 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I hated our diaper pail. If you don't take it out enough it becomes a nasty mess and honestly it was a long chain of dirty diapers. Yuck lol . We used our changing table a bit mostly in the morning.

I loved our mamaroo. And our fisher price rock n play!

January 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have to say I love the diaper genie. We still use it for the overnight wet diapers even tho DD is fully potty trained during the day. It keeps the smell in very well. We never had a stinky house. I also loved our travel bottle warmer (a must if you're pumping and you have a baby that doesn't like cold milk, the Tommee Tippee was amazing). DH and I agree that was our most useful baby item we had. We also love our nursery chair. It isn't one of the regular gliders, but a gliding arm chair with a gliding ottoman. Looks like living room furniture if you don't know better. So comfy and great for whoever handled the middle of the night feeding. It was also just nice to sit in to feed her at home. Most comfy chair in our house.

The play mat, I thought, was a total waste. She wiggled off of it every time, so there was barely a point to putting her on it. We also were stupid and excited first time parents and got the baby bath tub spa. Haha, the bubble thing never worked so we overpaid for a plastic tub. I have to laugh at how silly I was.
January 7th, 2013, 04:39 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Our changing table was a mat on top of the dresser, so we use it all the time. It also helps that the nursery and master bedroom are downstairs so it was convenient to just scoot back to the nursery for a change. I never had a diaper genie- just a regular trash can with a lid in the nursery for diapers. It was much cheaper to use regular trash bags when we did disposable diapers than to buy the special bags for the diaper genie.

Most useless for me- the Bumbo seat. Both girls hated it so I sold it.

Best: bouncy seat for Lily and swing for Abri. This time I want a swing that plugs in though
January 7th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
See, we had the bumbo and it was awesome for us. He loved to sit upright. Just buy it off craigslist or something, don't shell out 40 bucks for it new...

January 7th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Waste of money for us:
Wipe warmer
Mobile
bouncy seat

Best thing ever!
Plug in swing
Waterproof mattress cover

January 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the most useless was the wipe warmer and bottle warmer.

I did like my diaper genie but that is mostly because I live on a 3rd floor apartment. I didn't want to do that many stairs and out to the trash several times a day but I am lazy lol..

I agree that if you get a swing, get a plug in one! I went through batteries like crazy with my DD so we wised up and got a plug in one with my DS and we will be getting another plug in one.

January 7th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Regular
I just used Dollar Store brand ziploc bags for dirty diapers. It keeps the smell in, and they're cheap!! I used my change table for almost every change at home. I also loved the little mesh laundry bags for the socks and stuff. I can't remember what I DIDN'T like right now, it was 6 years ago!! I'll come back to it......

January 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan plus one Mommy View Post
I also loved the little mesh laundry bags for the socks and stuff. I can't remember what I DIDN'T like right now, it was 6 years ago!! I'll come back to it......
Oh god yes you need one of these for baby socks...else they get eaten by the washer alot.

January 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
Oh god yes you need one of these for baby socks...else they get eaten by the washer alot.
Holy cow.. I am on my third pregnancy and it had never even crossed my mind to get one of these. I feel like an idiot LOL. Wow, I guess you are never too experienced to learn some new ideas
navywifey2003 and MamaSkunk like this.

January 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the Bumbo seat as a waste! We had one that lived at my grandparents' house so that we didn't have to drag the infant seat every time we went. We had a Prince Lionheart BebePod at home that was SO much better. The shape was a better fit for more comfortable sitting and the tray both went on easier and stayed on better. I don't know who designed the stupid way the Bumbo tray goes on, but it took me forever to get it on without the two pieces coming apart and it didn't always stay on well once it was on. What a piece of junk! The Prince Lionheart one was similar in price but a FAR superior product if you're going the seat route.
January 7th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
Holy cow.. I am on my third pregnancy and it had never even crossed my mind to get one of these. I feel like an idiot LOL. Wow, I guess you are never too experienced to learn some new ideas
My mom bought one for me when DD was a few weeks old when she came to visit...i thought she got it for herself...but she said to wash socks n little stuff in it. And in those first two weeks id already lost two socks to the washer haha. I would have never thought of it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search