Baby showers

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Rochelle
Are you having one? If not, why?

What # child is this for you?

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change?

Do you have a theme in mind?

How many people will you invite?

Is it women only or co-ed?

Children invited?

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)?

What month do you want to have it in?

Anything else?

Just curious as I've been toying with having my 1st shower ever and this is my 4th baby so yea.

Thanks!

Last edited by 4hearts; January 8th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
January 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you having one? No idea. This is our first girl so maybe and it will be the first time we will be by family but I do not need one. Actually while I enjoy the fact baby gets a little party I am very shy and I do not like the attention on me.

What # child is this for you? #3

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? nope.

Do you have a theme in mind? nope.

How many people will you invite? I wouldn't plan it so...no idea.

Is it women only or co-ed? either

Children invited? of course

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? pink

Anything else? I for one am not a fan of traditional baby shower games. I actually hate going when I know they will have the 'traditional' shower games. I have been to a few though that have been really nice and a lot of fun. But that is totally a personal preference. I know a lot of people love baby shower games.
4hearts likes this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I am definitely having one. probably two between my family one and my work one.

This is child #3 for me but it is the first with my new husband and my youngest is 8 years so old so there aren't any baby items laying around.

I will probably do a girls only one just because not too many guys would come so I would just end up trying to worry if they were in there participating or should they just be outside hanging out. I would think at least 15-20 people would be invited. All of our families live around us so it would be one shower for both sides of families and all of our friends.

We are Team Green. The theme will match the bedding which is gray and white with splashes of yellow. Already found so many cute things online in that theme!

Of course children are welcome, I will make sure my girls are home that weekend (not at their dads) so they can be there and participate. All of my friends have kiddos too and I love seeing them and want them there.

I personally love the game where you guess the melted candy in the napkin game...it brings way too many laughs and facial expressions to not do. One neat thing was writing down all the songs you could think of with baby in it. With different generations it can be pretty neat to see what songs are thought up.
4hearts likes this.

~Kristin~
January 8th, 2013, 09:31 AM
KellBell2621's Avatar Eli & Hailey's Mommy!
Are you having one? If not, why? Probably not since it's my 2nd and they are very close together (18 months) so i already have a lot of stuff. However, I mentioned to my mom I'd like to have a diaper party instead!

What # child is this for you? #2

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? Yes, we had one for my son, it went great. Don't think I would have changed anything

Do you have a theme in mind? Not really

How many people will you invite? Usually our family parties have anywhere from 15-20 people

Is it women only or co-ed? probably just the ladies but i'm sure my husband will join if we have one

Children invited? yep

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? don't know yet - we find out the 24th!!

What month do you want to have it in? probably may..due june 29th

Anything else? nope
4hearts likes this.
January 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Are you having one? If not, why? nope. Our babies are close together. And plus no one would come.

What # child is this for you? #4

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? I had a small one with David that a friend threw for me when I lived in WA. A few people came and it was nice but I wished I had my family close by. Then when I was pregnant with Everett we lived close to family so my best childhood friend wanted to throw one for me. She did and my cousin scheduled a birthday party the same day. So we moved my shower to the day before and still no one really came. I appreciated everyone who did come though. But I was really upset and disappointed since I never had one with family before. I just wanted to celebrate my baby.

Do you have a theme in mind? n/a

How many people will you invite? n/a

Is it women only or co-ed? We have co-ed and the men went out to the pool while we played the few games my friend had planned.

Children invited? yup

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? I am on the fence haha

What month do you want to have it in? n/a

Anything else? Not really but I just wish people felt the same as me and that every baby deserves to be celebrated no matter what number they are. No matter how far apart your pregnancies are. You dont need material things but feeling like your family cares is important!
4hearts likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Are you having one? If not, why? not sure, I could use one since Easton is 7 and I have nothing left, but depends on if I am thrown one

What # child is this for you?2

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? it was great, no changes

Do you have a theme in mind? no

How many people will you invite? not sure

Is it women only or co-ed? not sure

Children invited? sure

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? not yet

What month do you want to have it in? may

Anything else? two games that didn't annoy me at showers recently was guess the baby food (jars passed around with labels off) and a list of celebrity baby names where you guess the parents. I HATE the candy bar game
4hearts likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you having one? If not, why? I think I'm having one? My church friends have mentioned it before. If they don't throw one, then I probably won't have one at all. However, my husband said his department at school will be throwing us a diaper shower!

What # child is this for you? 1

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? n/a

Do you have a theme in mind? Nope! Whatever my friend decides would be fine with me.

How many people will you invite? The whole church will probably be invited (as that's how church showers tend to go) and then I would invite my 2 friends who I have outside of church.

Is it women only or co-ed? It will probably be women only, the school diaper shower would be co-ed I think, since it's my husband's job...

Children invited? of course!

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? Don't know yet!

What month do you want to have it in? idk, probably not until like March/April I would think

Anything else?
4hearts likes this.

Thank you Vicki.. for the beautiful siggy
January 8th, 2013, 11:40 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Are you having one? If not, why? Sort of, I'm hoping to do a gender reveal party this time around (I did have a big shower with Connor). But because of the situation with the move and all, I may end up having a "sprinkle" with a few friends and family in NC and something similar in FL.

What # child is this for you? 2nd

We had a huge baby shower for Connor, my Mom and I hosted and we invited a lot of friends and family. We rented a party room at a fancy hotel and had food catered in and fancy cupcakes made, etc. He was the first (and the first grandchild for my parents) so it was a "went all out" kind of deal.

If we do a gender reveal party, it will either be a pink vs blue theme or a bumblebee yellow theme. If it's a sprinkle, it will depend on the gender

Just a few close friends and some family members

co-ed, although if we do it in NC, it may end up being women only since DH is gone

Children invited? Yes, when we did the shower for Connor, children were invited and encouraged to participate. We had swatches of fabric and fabric markers that everyone was able to decorate and then we had it made into a quilt for Connor.

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? Don't know yet, but hoping team blue!

No idea

Anything else? I'm really sad that I can't have the big gender reveal party I originally planned, and it seems silly to do it in two different places, so having a sprinkle in each state seems easier
4hearts likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not having one. This is baby #3 and I already have a boy and a girl, so we have everything we need.

The baby shower I had with my first was great. A small get together with women only. I'm not so into being the center of attention, so I didn't want a big thing.

We find out the sex on Friday!
4hearts likes this.
January 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Veteran
Are you having one? If not, why? I'm not sure. My friend had talked about throwing me one, but since things aren't exactly kosher between us i don't know...My aunt *may* throw me one....she hasn't mentioned it but she's really excited about this baby so who knows.

What # child is this for you? This is our 1st

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? since this is my 1st I can only comment about shower's I've been to...I really like the book instead of card idea, and I really don't want a surprise shower. I don't like surprises like that haha

Do you have a theme in mind? eh not really...

How many people will you invite? only a handful of people. A lot of my friends are out of town with crazy work schedules so idk if they'd be able to come

Is it women only or co-ed? women only more than likely

Children invited? I wouldn't care as long as there was enough room for them to run around

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? yellow...don't know yet

What month do you want to have it in? I would say late march at the earliest...april...I don't want it to be too close to my due date (june 16) just so my SO and i have time to buy what we need to if there's anything left to buy

Anything else? eh i think i covered it all. lol
4hearts likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 8th, 2013, 03:11 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probably not. This is my second and we don't need much

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? I had 3 with Bourne (long story) and I wouldn't change a thing. All my hostesses were so thoughtful to even do it for me

Do you have a theme in mind? In my eyes, this is up to the hostess

How many people will you invite? N/A

Children invited? Yes, I would invite children

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? blue

What month do you want to have it in? For those that are thinking about this - the 7th month is usually about perfect. It gives you time to finish out and buy items you didn't get and you are not hugely uncomfortable

Anything else? I am of the old school thought. Showers are a gift from the hostess to the family. I see this forgotten a lot these days and girls get caught up planning their own showers and wanting a say in everything about the shower, when really - you just need to make a guest list, show up and enjoy the day, thank your hostess with a gift and send your thank you cards
4hearts and sunnydaze like this.
January 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not want another shower. This is my second and we don't need much. Maybe a sprinkle with immediate family.
4hearts likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you having one? If not, why? Definitely having one. My good friend and my SO's step-mom are supposed to be collaborating on it.

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? I had one with DD, but not many people showed up. It was a good time though.

Do you have a theme in mind? I'm not planning it, so IDK.. My friend wants to go nuts with it though..

How many people will you invite? Idk.. 15-20 I guess.

Is it women only or co-ed? Women only... Poor men would be bored and I can show SO everything after it's over.

Children invited? Of course. I fully expect DD to be here.

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? BLUE BLUE BLUE!

What month do you want to have it in? Late April/ early May

Anything else? nope, I think that covers it.
4hearts likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 8th, 2013, 04:18 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Are you having one? If not, why?nope, second kid
What # child is this for you?2
Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change?had two before one for each side of the family since DHs parents are about three hours away
Do you have a theme in mind?nope
How many people will you invite?n/a
Is it women only or co-ed?when we had mine it was women only, i wouldnt subject a man to that
Children invited? there were a few
Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)?yellow
What month do you want to have it in?i was due in august and had the showers in late june and early july
Anything else?DHs mother advised to me that they will still throw me a shower which i feel totally uncomfortable with since we had one with my two year old

January 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Not having one. I don't like baby showers.
Baby #4 arriving in September
January 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy

No, I am having a "sprinkle" I guess. We are having a gender reveal party and asking everyone to bring a box of diapers.

What # child is this for you?

yes I did. It was nice, but it was difficult having so many people travel so far (military)

Owls

The headcount for gender reveal is about 20

Co-ed because we are playing poker afterwards

Children invited?

Yes...we all have kids, they usually upstairs and play in the kid's room. Most of them are over the age of 10.

Yellow

Hopefully this weekend.

Anything else?

Don't ask for clothes, you will get them anyway. Ask for the boring stuff you KNOW YOU NEED.

Just curious as I've been toying with having my 1st shower ever and this is my 4th baby so yea.

Thanks!

January 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Rochelle
Are you having one? If not, why? I think so, yes.

What # child is this for you? 4

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? Never had one before. Mom wanted to throw me one for my first baby but I was too shy and declined. I do regret that now.

Do you have a theme in mind? I found this cake that I really like and since we're team green I thought about Green and yellow with maybe storks but only if it's stuff that can be bought at the dollarstore. This will be a cheapo event!

How many people will you invite? 11 women who may possibly have to bring men and kids that would make it 16 more. So, 27? However, 10 of those are extended family who live a few hrs away so aren't likely to come. Realistically, I think 7 women and 11 kids. (One of my friends has 6 kids).

Is it women only or co-ed? Well, as mentioned above I think bc of my extended family it could potentially turn co-ed but if it does they can talk football in another room if they want. DH would probably be at work. I think it would end up being women-only though.

Children invited? It's going to be crazy bc of the amount of them but yea.

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? Green

What month do you want to have it in? June 8th is what Mom and I are shooting for.

Anything else? My mom is technically throwing it for me since she offered to years ago and I turned her down at that time but I'll probably decorate and stuff bc it's at my house and Mom is busy enough with her job and her health. I'll try to split the costs with her but I'm wanting to keep it super cheap and simple. Finger foods, cake and icecream and minimal decor. It's just something I want to do since this could be my last baby and even if we do have one more like DH wants, that's ok. I would just only have the one shower for this pg and not have anymore.

I'm having fun looking for gender neutral shower games

Thanks for all the responses. Y'all have helped me figure a few things out.
January 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran
If you want one! See if you can swing someone else to plan it! Go for a pedicure or massage or something prior to event so you feel pampered and just enjoy the time with friends and family a celebrating that sweet baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle7 View Post
Nope, I had one with our first and that was within the last five years so I feel like most of my ruff is fairly relevant and up to date!

What # child is this for you? Fourth! (And final)

Yes, it was good from what I remember. It wa just at my moms house with family and friends.

Do you have a theme in mind? Didn't have one!

How many people will you invite? There was probably 40 but DH mom has 9 sisters

Is it women only or co-ed?women

Children invited? Yep

I was green!

What month do you want to have it in? I had it in April.. Was due may 21at

Anything else?

Don't put alot if pressure on it!! Enjoy the time being pampered and visit with your family and friends!

Thanks!
January 9th, 2013, 08:59 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you having one? If not, why? I'll be having one.

What # child is this for you? 1

Have you had one before? If so, how did it go? What would you change? Never had one before, planned a few and I just want something laid back and not too structured.

Do you have a theme in mind? My mom is planning it around the gender since we're not telling anyone (except her) until then.

How many people will you invite? I'm not sure, I keep going back and forth on numbers, but ultimately it's up to my mom.

Is it women only or co-ed? SO will be there and kids are invited, otherwise only ladies.

Children invited? Yep. Too many not to invite. haha.

Are you team blue, pink, green or yellow (don't know yet)? Yellow. We find out tomorrow! Hopefully, assuming baby cooperates.

What month do you want to have it in? Whenever my mom figures it out. haha. We're moving in march, so I assume April or early May.

Anything else? I'm sort of freaked out by being the center of attention for a party. I'm excited and I've been the planner for a few baby showers, but I know it's going to be exhausting. Haha. I also feel bad that my mom is planning most of it. My best friend will help out and depending on my sister's mood, she probably will too. I'm usually the one to take on the hard stuff so letting someone else do it is rough.
4hearts likes this.

January 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfourmama View Post
If you want one! See if you can swing someone else to plan it! Go for a pedicure or massage or something prior to event so you feel pampered and just enjoy the time with friends and family a celebrating that sweet baby!
Funny you say that bc just now I was just chatting with a friend and mentioned Mom and I kinda jointly planning it and said friend just took over acting like she was throwing it. It's hard for me to let go and let others plan things bc I'm a control-freak planner by nature, LOL.
I'm sure it will be fun no matter what.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search