My doctor doesn't like my baby! And apparently makes me nervous.

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By rcjh12
  • 1 Post By kit.kat.81
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Sorry to be all dramatic, but I had to laugh a little. Today was the second appointment in a row that my doctor had a little trouble finding the baby with the doppler. She tried for several minutes, and I could tell she was getting worried when she asked when the last time I felt movement was. Luckily between using my doppler at home just recently and feeling movement, I wasn't too worried. Anyway, so after several long minutes, she finally found the little squirt clear over high up on my right side. She made some comment about it being stubborn, which I agreed to and said was normal for our family. To which she replied, "Well I don't like it!" She meant the stubbornness, not the baby of course, but I had to laugh, because I could tell it was really bothering her that it took so long to find baby, and I would have been more worried if I hadn't actually felt it squirming in there as she was searching.

To follow that up, I had brought in my home blood pressure cuff to have it measured against the office one, and my blood pressure was through the roof. It was fine when I took it before the appointment, and fine when the nurse took it at the beginning of the appointment. But apparently my doctor makes me nervous or something, because every time we took it while she was in the room it was high. She laughed and called it "white coat hypertension". As long as it doesn't start getting high all the time, or get high and not come back down, it's nothing she's worried about. I don't feel any different during my appointments, but SOMETHING makes my blood pressure go up when I'm there. Weird =\

Anywho, all that aside it was a good appointment. I gained 2 pounds, which she was really happy about (I'm still 4 down from prepregnancy). My anatomy scan will be sometime on the 29th, I have to wait for the nurse to call with an actual time. She did put me at 18 weeks 3 days, instead of 6 or whatever my ticker says, which puts my due date as 6/8 instead of the 5th.
January 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay for a good appointment! And great story, gave me a laugh too

~Kristin~
January 8th, 2013, 01:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That's too funny lol. My midwives refer to it as white coat syndrome as well. You may have been nervous about the hb thing and haven't calmed down yet. Ect.

January 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Hey, we're due date twins now! Lol
rcjh12 likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
White coat hypertension is a real psychological thing. It ties in with Observer Effect where when you're being observed you change your behavior. Either you act more sick or you downplay the sickness based on what you think will please your doctor more or what you expect they want to see. So, your brain sees a doctor, expects to hear that something is up and so tells your heart to be ready to fight/flight.

And now you know. (do-do-de-do!)
mommyandwife08 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You will have your hands full with this kiddo

Good luck with your pressures. My pressure is always low. I was so nervous during my 12 week us that that when measuring my pressure with the doppler, the tech asked if I was on anything to control. All I needed was to hear that everything was normal and it came down Hope it is the same for you.

January 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
haha yeah, if it is like my other kiddos I have no doubt my hands will be full =\ And really, the whole thing mystifies me. I feel completely relaxed at my visits, I've never had a problem like this before, and I've never had trouble with my blood pressure until just lately. I knew things were fine when she couldn't find the baby, and was actually laughing about it because I could feel baby squirming. Eh, neither of us are worried as long as it doesn't STAY high.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search