Gtky 1/8

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Are your parents married, divorced, never married? Has this impacted your relationships?

January 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are married but it is not a healthy marriage IMO. It has impacted me because I saw them fighting a lot and we were always put in the middle of it. It has impacted my parenting because I will NEVER do that to my children. I want them to be children and enjoy their childhood and not have to deal with adult issues.

January 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are divorced. My mom is remarried. My dad left after the divorce so that definitely impacted me growing up. I do have a wonderful stepdad though that really helped fill in the father role while my dad was gone.

January 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM
My parents are married, they have been for 28 years. They have a marriage similar to my husband and I. And Kyle is so much like my father its crazy. They have little jokes between them like Kyle and I. They were traditional parents and I started out that way but have moved from that because its not me. I hope to still be as in love with Kyle as they are. They have gone through a lot. Mainly my sister pregnant at 16 and my grandma living with them while she had cancer. And a million other things that my sister did growing up. I am so thankful that they made it.

January 9th, 2013, 01:39 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
My parents divorced when I was around 12. Both of them remarried before I was 19. I am not sure if it impacted my relationships. i was with the same guy for 12 years and got married after 7 but we ended up getting a divorce. I losy my mother to cancer at a young age of 52 and was just going thru my separation/divorce at the time. So it was a very VERY rough time in my life.

Today I have my dad and stepmom in my life. I occasionally talk to my stepfather but don't really have a relationship with him because of his choices after my mom passed.

I kind of took this wrong and thought the question meant if it impacted my relationships....opps.

I was still close to all my paretns...at the time in high school I would say it did but after that not so much.
January 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Its fine hun. It can easily be both.

January 9th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My parents are still married. Some days are good, others are bad. It hasn't affected me as a person personally but I do see things I don't want to say, be like, or act like in my marriage.
January 9th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents are married, and they just celebrated 30 years. Their relationship is very similar to mine and DH's, and that makes me take comfort that DH and I will be in it for the long haul

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine are still married.

Once I had kids, keeping my marriage together became extremely important. I really want my kids to always have their Mom and Dad in the same house. I want them to come back to their childhood home for holidays. I know this is not realistic in some situations. However, this is a dream of mine for my kids.

January 9th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents divorced when I was about 6.. I guess it has impacted me by making me realize that I don't want my kids to grow up without one of their parents. That's why it is such a big deal to me that DD's dad be involved. Even though we're not together, he is still her dad (which my dad seemed to forget when my parents split)!

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
My parents divorced when I was 15. DH's dad left his mom when DH was just a baby.

From the beginning we've had an agreement that no matter what, divorce would never be an option. Even mentioning the word has been strictly avoided. There was a time we considered separating, but we never did. I am very thankful for my marriage!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents divorced when I was in elementary school. My father remarried, and my stepmom basically raised me as her own. My mother made some bad choices after their divorce and needless to say I'm not on speaking terms with her anymore. Luckily my stepmother stepped in, or else I probably would have followed a less desirable path in life.

January 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Divorced. My mom remarried but my dad never did. My step father passed away 4 years ago

January 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My parents have been married for 42 years. It's a pretty normal marriage, but they don't have the best communication. I wanted something a little different so I married someone so unlike my parents. We are all very high-strung in my family, and DH is so laid back and glass half full kind of guy. DH's parents divorced after 25 years when he was in high school. His mom never remarried, but his dad did immediately after the divorce was final. His father has since passed away. I think it was a nasty divorce, so DH vowed that he will never give up on our marriage. Divorce is not an option for him
January 9th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Super Mommy
My parents divorced when I was 14. My mom had a very intense relationship with alcohol and I know that's why they split. My poor dad just couldn't take it anymore. They were always very loving towards each other when I was young, very affectionate and hardly ever fought in front of us, except towards the end. I remained pretty close with my mom after they divorced, but not too close because of her addiction. She never remarried and passed away this last May. My dad met my stepmom when I first got pregnant with my first, so a little over six years ago. They got married July of 2010 and enjoyed two very blissful years of marriage before my dad succumbed to cancer last September. I'm pretty close with her and very grateful for sticking with my dad through his battle with cancer which lasted most of their relationship, and she's really done so much for my youngest brother who has FAS and Asperger's. I love her very much.
January 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Super Mommy
My parents have been married for 38 years. They certainly have had their share of ups and downs, but they have never given up. The biggest thing that I have learned from them is that all relationships require a good amount of patience and flexibility. I never remember hearing my parents argue in front of us. This is something that I hope our children will be able to say when they are older.
January 9th, 2013, 07:33 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents have been married for 36 years. They love each other very much, but there are definitely aspects of their relationship that I always knew I never wanted to emulate. The marriage that impacted me most was my grandparents. They were married 68 years and loved each other like you would have to see to understand. They got married in the heat of WWII right before my grandpa was shipped out to Europe. They had 3 daughter, 5 grandchildren, and this will be the 6th great-grandchild. For about 8 years, dementia stole my grandmother's life and eventually her ability to do anything for herself and even her ability to speak. People did not understand how she was not in a nursing home. My family helped on the weekends, but since they lived far away and everyone worked, my grandpa was her sole caregiver during the week. She was completely bathed, lotioned, dressed, out of bed, fed, and meticulously cared for every day. When people asked him how he did it, he said, "She's mine. I take care of her." He loved her so completely that he could not bear to have her be away from him. So he did it all. It was the most beautiful love story I have ever seen. Even though I only got to see the last 27 years of it, it was an amazing thing to see unfold. That is the legacy I hope to pass on to our daughters. Since they never had a real wedding (Justice of the Peace before he shipped out), they had a wedding for their 50th anniversary. They asked a friend to sing and the song he chose said, "If you want to see what true love should be, well, just look at them." And it is so true. What a blessing in my life.
navywifey2003 and crawmommy like this.
January 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents divorced when I was 5. I don't think it's really had much of an impact on my relationships. My mom remarried and has been with my stepdad for over 20 years and my dad was always in my life.
January 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine were never married, and I have never had a relationship with my mother. I went to live with my dad pretty much right after leaving the hospital. He was single and 40 taking home a new baby I wouldn't change a thing.
January 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To keep this short (as it is quite a long story), my parents split when I was 6. My mom thinks that I started gaining weight when he left, but there's no way to know for certain if that was why. They both remarried, my dad had 3 more kids. My mom married a crazy guy and my teens were hell. My dad and I hardly spoke til I was almost 18. My dad and stepmom split, and my mom and then stepfather split. My mom remarried again and they're still together after 10 years. My dad lives in NC and came out as gay to me and a few other people about 2 years ago.

I'm sure this has all impacted my life. I know it did as a teen and in my early 20's I struggled a lot with extremely low self esteem. I've had depression issues and serious trust issues since my teens, etc, etc. As of right now, I still have some trust issues, but my self esteem is 100% better. I'm trying to just be my own person and I've let go of a lot of things that happened in my childhood.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search