Heritage

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 01:24 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What is your heritage? Do you follow any traditions of your heritage? Does it have an impact on having children?

January 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is German and Norwegian. At holidays we make a few norwegian goodies. Im not a fan of alot of german food so i dont cook it. But i prefer O tannenbaum instead of o christmas tree.
DH is mostly scottish and and a bit german. We are just finding this all out as he just reunited with his birth mother last year. But he is very interested in his scottish heritage so we found their clan tartan(family plaid color and design) and he plans on getting a full kilt for himself and dresses done for DD. And learning alot more about the family history and heritage.... thankfully scots are great historians...googling his familys names pulled up history and castle info.
I do want DD to learn all about her heritages and family trees. All the good and bad aspects too. Including history.

Oh and I should add I do feel her heritage has an impact on who she is...ohhhh she has a temper and is feisty. Those red highlights in her hair lol

January 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My family is mostly Irish. I was lucky that my great aunt researched our family. Apparently we still have relatives in Ireland despite having part of our family come to the US before the Revolutionary War. Part of my mom's family is British. My grandfather had searched back prior to the Revolutionary War as well. DH's family is Irish and German. Apparently we get our super pasty white skin from our Irish side. I literally cannot tan. I burn, peel, and go back to white. Oh well
January 10th, 2013, 06:35 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Mine is such a mixture, but mostly Scottish (Dad's side) and Lithuanian (Mom's side). I'm not even sure DH knows his heritage, but I think he has a bit of Scottish in him as well. We don't really do anything to follow it.

January 10th, 2013, 06:40 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
on the tanning and the Irish heritage! We call sunburns "Irish tan" LOL. I've also got a spot of German. DF is 100% Chinese, so our little one is going to be mixed race. We want her to have pride in both her cultures and to be enriched by them rather than feeling pulled in two directions, so we're going to try to incorporate different aspects of both into her life from an early age. She'll get lots of Chinese culture for sure, as her paternal grandparents don't speak English and will be able to teach her Cantonese. They are very traditional and will be able to teach her a lot about her culture. My family has never been super traditional (and we're sort of mutts!) so we'll have to be more conscientious about teaching her her Irish roots.

We REALLY want to take her to Ireland and China someday when she's old enough to appreciate the experience. I traveled to my grandfather's birthplace in Ireland and it was really moving!

January 10th, 2013, 06:49 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 50% german, 25% swedish, and 25% swiss. I actually still have family in Sweden and Switzerland. My nonna (grandma) is actually from Switzerland and met my granddad in Germany when he was stationed there in the military. We eat a lot of food from those countries but that is about the only tradition we really follow.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
My side, we are German, Irish and English.. we do not hold any of the traditions.
Joe is Indian and Irish. No traditions there

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Super Mommy
Both DH and I are mostly German. My family comes from all over, I'm also Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Swedish, French, English and I have relatives that live in Hungary but I'm not sure if we came from there. My hubby is about a third native american, coming from both his mom's and dad's sides, but we're not sure which tribes. His family comes from the UP in Michigan and WI. We want to one day track his family line, he thinks he might be Potawatomi. It's funny because as white as my kids look, they don't ever burn, not even when we lived in high altitude CO. They seriously have to be out in full sun for at least 3 or 4 hours before they start to burn. People mistake my hubby for Mexican all the time in the summer because he gets soooo dark. He spends all day out in the sun without burning, I'm so envious! But I don't burn that fast, surprising since I'm a redhead.

Last edited by Kyla0709; January 10th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
January 10th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm Chinese and we do the red egg and ginger parties for the babies after they're born and celebrate Chinese New Year. Other than that, we don't do much in the way of Chinese culture other than eat the food. LOL! DH is half Irish/half German...and he drinks a lot of beer. Does that count?
January 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im Chinese. I dont follow a lot of things because Im really American but I do like the culture and language and such and wish I cared more when I was younger and had more opportunities to learn about it. I want to send my son to Chinese school one day even though as a child I hated it and swore Id never do that to my own child but I have had a change of heart as I grow older and realize if I dont pass it on itll be lost once my mother is gone.
January 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Super Mommy
I am mostly English and Sicilian,but I also have Irish, French Canadian, German, American Indian (both of my grandparents are part)also a little Austrian. DH is mostly polish,also english, czech, and Irish. We don't really do anything to follow it but occasionally when we go to DHs familys house we eat some traditional polish dishes.

Last edited by Karenna; January 10th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search