Where will baby sleep?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Well now I am considering a co-sleeper bassinet instead of the regular one, although they seem a bit spendier
January 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
In a bassinet next to my side of the bed then into their crib in the room they will share with Hailey.

January 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Crib. I was a push over with my first two and ended up sleeping in an oversized chair holding them for a long time. This time I want sleep

January 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I know that cosleeping is very popular. I do not knock it.

However, for me, it is important to my relationship that we keep our marriage bed a sacred place for me and my husband.

For the first 3-4 months, baby will sleep in a bassinet in my room. After that, baby moves to the crib in the nursery. it is important to me to maintain certain boundaries.
Lots of my friends and mom's from my son's DDC co-sleep, I think it's great for them, just not us. DS has never slept in our bed. If DH leaves early in the morning and DS gets up for some reason, then he can crawl in with me, but that's it.

This baby will sleep in his/her room in a cradle that my grandfather built. The baby's room is attached to our room, so he/she won't be too far away, plus I can get up with baby in the night and not disturb DH. After that, he/she will be in a crib.

January 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I know that cosleeping is very popular. I do not knock it.

However, for me, it is important to my relationship that we keep our marriage bed a sacred place for me and my husband.

For the first 3-4 months, baby will sleep in a bassinet in my room. After that, baby moves to the crib in the nursery. it is important to me to maintain certain boundaries.
Co-sleeping is having the baby room in bed sharing is the act of sharing a bed. I agree it's not for everyone but my relationship with my husband is no different nor do we have any less of a connection because of bed sharing/co-sleeping but I do agree different things work for different families.

January 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Regular
I always thought that co sleeping was having the baby in bed with you.....oops!! I've always secretly wanted to try bed sharing, but I know I wouldn't sleep, and I know my DH wouldn't.

ETA: When it comes to marital bed stuff, my DH doesn't even like the word naked, he's a lights off, bed only, only naked in the shower or DTD, never see anyone naked kind of guy, so if we were to bed-share, there would be no DTD at all......ever. Why can't he be somewhat normal in that aspect???? That's probably a post for another time!!

Last edited by Logan plus one Mommy; January 10th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
January 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Its okay Hun it's a big misconception. If we dtd and Everett is sleeping (we have a crib in our room too) we dtd downstairs after they are all in bed or we sneak into our room while the kids are in the playroom for a quickie. And that's another thing if you know it wouldn't work for your family that's fine. I see both sides.
bribugg13 likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
No clue. Ideally the crib in the nursery down the hall from us, but that didn't work with Abri. She slept in our bed. We don't have space for a bassinet in our room (old house with small rooms). So I guess we'll play it by ear with this one. Oh and I never had any trouble having some "alone time" with DH when Abri was in bed. When she was tiny, we just slid her over a little. As she got a little older we had her start the night in the crib and she'd come to our bed around 10:30-11
navywifey2003 likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking a bassinet in our room for a few months and then to the crib in the nursery, which is about 5 steps from our bedroom. But, that could all change once the baby is here!
January 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had not thought about it a whole lot yet...more than likely the babies will sleep together in a bassinet/cosleeper unit for a few months then together in a crib in their own room for as long as that works and from there we will see.

January 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
In a bassinet in our room for a couple months then hopefully in the nursery...if we have one by then.
January 10th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Super Mommy
Bassinet in our room for at least the first few months, or until baby starts to mostly STTN. Then we'll probably move him/her to their own room. All the rooms in our house are really close together so getting up once a night to feed won't be a big deal for me, but those first few months when they wake up every couple hours, I prefer to have them within arms reach. If I fall back to sleep while nursing on my side, I'm okay with that, but I'm not one for bedsharing, I have to have my space. I roll around a lot and change position all night and my hubby gets very cranky if someone is waking him up a few times a night.
January 10th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She will be in a pack n play in our room for the first 2-3 months and then move to her crib in her room.

January 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This baby will start the first 6 weeks or so of life in the bassinet that every member of DH's family has slept in including his 85 year old grandmother! All the cousins, everyone from the family has used this bassinet so it's a tradition we hold.

After that he/she will be moved into another bassinet to pass the family one on to my brother and sister in law who are due in the middle of july. =) The little one will be in that bassinet until about 4 months when they will move to a crib in our room as well.

We won't move him/her from there until he/she sleeps through the night and then they are off to join big brother in his room. We have a 3 bedroom house that was a 4 bedroom 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs but we've converted one bedroom downstairs to a playroom for now and the other into a bigger kitchen. Eventually we can move our masters downstairs into the playroom when I trust the kids to be in the upstairs bedrooms alone.
navywifey2003 and sunnydaze like this.

January 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
^^ that is an amazing tradition. I confess I shed a tear.

January 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For DH and me, it is also important that our bed is our space. With DD, she slept in the bassinet of the pack n play for 5 weeks, at which time she transitioned to her own room. This worked out very well for us. She has never been one to try to sleep in our bed and that has always been our place. We are looking forward to doing the same thing with this little one. We also found that transitioning to the crib so early made it an easy transition. I don't know that she was aware enough of where she was to know that we had changed it up on her. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but she slept through the night at 2 months. Although, I don't think it's possible to get that lucky twice.
sunnydaze likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 07:04 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've decided to have a crib or bassinet in the bedroom until the baby sttn, then we'll move the baby to the crib in her nursery.
sunnydaze likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Super Mommy
definitely in our room. right now i bedshare with my 1 yr old son...so we will see how this goes! i'm hoping to transition him to a toddler bed by the time baby #2 arrives. but both will be in the room with me regardless
January 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Its okay Hun it's a big misconception. If we dtd and Everett is sleeping (we have a crib in our room too) we dtd downstairs after they are all in bed or we sneak into our room while the kids are in the playroom for a quickie. And that's another thing if you know it wouldn't work for your family that's fine. I see both sides.
I remember seeing a website with t-shirts, mugs, and other items with sayings like "Co-sleepers do it in the kitchen" and "Co-sleepers do it outdoors" and other places....it's so true, too!
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 08:29 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On the bedsharing issue....when i was preg with DD I was very adamant about she sleep in her crib cuz thats what my mom did with us. Then i brought her home and those first few nights I didnt want to let go of her so I was always ending up falling asleep with her on the couch or chair. And it was DH who insisted on not just cosleeping but bedsharing. We had a bassinet to put her in when we wanted to DTD. But it was DH who wanted her closer for peace of mind to make sure she didnt stop breathing etc and it was easier for her to be fed. We did this for approximately 4 months. Then we did cosleeping...she lay next to our bed in the bassinet for 2 more months and then was moved to her crib at 6 months of age. It started at DHs insistence. I also felt the marriage bed was sacred etc etc beforehand but DH said his feelings on the issue were that once you have kids the marriage bed becomes a family bed and he said he wouldnt have slept a wink with our infant in a complete other room and he calmly told me that if i put our children in a crib in the nursery before they were 6 months that hed sleep on the nursery floor for 6 months til he felt the SIDS risk was much lower. After bedsharing with DD...it was not only easier for her, me and DH I felt the same as he does after experiencing it. I loved the closeness of DD next to me and we still nap together. Its our cuddle time. I just felt i had to explain why our family bedshares and cosleeps
bribugg13 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search