In-laws

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do you get along with your in-laws/SOs parents?

January 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get along really well with my in-laws. When I used to commute to work when we lived in Iowa, and I was given two hour breaks (hooray for day-care... :-/) I would drive over to my in-laws and hang out with my MIL for those 2 hours. She's like another mom to me, and that was really nice to have living 2k miles from my own mom.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 10th, 2013, 12:16 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do.. now... I didn't used to. But it has gotten better. Well, I should specify. It is just my MIL that was strained for a while but it seems to be better now.

January 10th, 2013, 12:28 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can I be in the same room with them without fighting? Yes so I guess we get along. But do I want to be in the room with them? Nope. LOL I like my sister in law though - not my husband's brothers or his parents. His extended family is awesome. He is the only normal one out of the immediate family - even his extended family will tell you that. LOL

January 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Nope. I could go into great, long, agonizing detail, but suffice to say ... nope.
January 10th, 2013, 12:33 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We get along, although we are very, very different, so we're not super close. I like them, I like FIL a lot better, he's a little more laid back than MIL. MIL and I just don't really have anything in common, grew up very different, etc. so it can be a little awkward at times with her.

January 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We get along very well. They're really sweet people. But his family is sooooooo very different from mine that I have a hard time relating to their values. I was raised by blue-collar parents and his family has money, which is weird for me. They spend so much time working it seems, just so they can buy more and more crap. They spoil DD to death which is fine by me because I think that's what grandparents are for, but theirs is not a lifestyle I'd like to live. So it gets uncomfortable for me at times. Still, they're really kind and supportive.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get along with SO's parents quite well, although his dad and step-mom frown upon us b/c we're not married. For Christmas, we got lumped in with the married couples (the families get a "family gift")...

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have inlaws. DF's dad left when he was 5-6 and he has never seen him or talked to him since. DF's mom hated me for some reason when she was alive. She would purposefully call me his ex's name and talk crap about me while I was in the room, as if I couldn't hear her. Unfortunately, she died of an overdose of many many drugs and alcohol about 2 years ago.

January 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
So my husbands family is complicated. Everybody sit down

His mom and dad were married had Kyle and his sister (my SIL). His mom and dad are both drunks, Kyles bio mom is a drug addict, Kyle witnessed several suicide attempts by her. His bio mom remarried and her and her new husband had 2 more kids (SIL and BIL). When things went south with his bio mom his step fathers sister began raising him. And the oldest sister left home. Step dad and bio mom spilt. Bio mom took off to Indiana. Kyles dad moved to WA. We keep in contact some win his bio dad but we do not speak to his bio mom and he considers his step dads sister his mom. So through her I have 2 BiL and a SIL. They are all married and we have a relationship will all but one Bil and his wife.

So now that I've explained that his bio sister the oldest one hates me. She calls me fat and lazy. She makes it known that I am not accepted by her. I have her on my FB to be kind because that's how I am but we keep as little contact as possible.

His younger bio siblings live in Indiana but when we were dating we took them everywhere.

His mom is an odd duck. She didn't like me for a long time. Mainly because I was 18 and he was 16 when we started dating. We are much better now but I wish I had amazing Inlaws sometimes. Mine are complicated haha.

January 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Regular
I love my future in laws. My DF's dad says in his eyes we are already married and we do plan to be really soon! Before the baby comes! DF's mom suffers from early onset alzheimers though and it can be upsetting to deal with sometimes. DF also has a twin sis and an older sis and I get along great with both of them. His whole family even though they live as many as 8 hours apart are all really close and see each other as often as they can. They all have welcomed me as part of the family and I really could not be any more blessed!
January 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
It's complicated. My DF's family is from China and his parents do not speak English. I do not speak Cantonese. So it's been tough to get to know each other, especially as we can only speak through others. They initially disliked me because I'm white and they wanted DF to meet a "nice Chinese girl" and get married and given them 100% Chinese grandkids. They are very traditional and had somewhat of an arranged marriage so I think they see dating/romance/marriage much differently than us. But they've come around and no longer refer to me as "the white girl" LOL. soon-to-be MIL is quite happy that we're giving her her first grandchild, so I think she just sort of had to be like "ok, I'm not getting 100% Chinese grankids, but I'm getting *A* grandkid, so oh well" LOL.

January 10th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My MIL passed away about 7 years ago. My FIL is wonderful. He once told me that the day I married his son, I became his daughter. He has 7 children and treats each of his in-laws like his own. He is amazing - I don't know that I could ever love another person as much as I love my own children.
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, his family and I don't know each very well, but we've recently skyped. They want us to fly out before the baby's born to really meet me and on skype they've been very nice. So I guess we'll see.

January 10th, 2013, 03:52 PM
First time mommy :)
Yes!! Very much so. My mother in law and step father in law are fabulous. Nobody speaks to my husband's real father much but I try to at least keep him updated on everything.We get along also. I actually get along with them better than my own parents, and will be moving in with them in March. Plus they are loaded and have a giant house so, that's always better for baby
January 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We get along fine with them, they are kind people. I do not agree with things they have done and how they raised my DH and we both would never leave our daughter at their house but still, we have a good relationship with them.

January 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my husbands family. They are awesome. His parents are super sweet people and I love all his siblings and their spouses. I've gotten really close with one sister in law bc she's pregnant too, a month ahead of me, so we have a lot I talk about! I wish we lived closer to them. They all live in Missouri and Kansas, which isn't very close to Tennessee!
January 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I get along great with my MIL. We don't see my FIL must since he lives up north but we get along ok when we're around each other.

January 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Regular
Yes! I love my inlaws, they're great. I'm almost as close to them as I am my own parents.

January 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I get along great with DH's family. His dad passed away a year before we got married. I did not like him (he was an alcoholic), but tolerated him. My MIL is wonderful. She lives about 45 minutes away from us and I would love for her to be closer. She is great with the girls and I enjoy her company. My SIL is great too. She's 4 years older than me and has two girls a little older than Lily. I enjoy hanging out with her too. Not a huge fan of her husband but will tolerate him. He's just annoying sometimes so not a big deal. DH's twin brother is interesting. I guess we get along but he has some serious growing up to do. DH is Mr. Responsible and his twin is the complete opposite. Luckily he lives in KY so we don't have to hang out that much. Not sure I could handle the drama if he still lived near us

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search