Disappointed with my ultrasound

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By hilachu
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 5 Post By Joanne Nicole

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last night I had my 18-20 week anatomy scan. I'm feeling disappointed with the way it turned out. The ultrasounds that I got when I was living in the US were so much better than they are here in Canada.

With my DD, my husband got to come in with me and we were facing the screen so we could see what was going on, and the tech explained everything to us as he went along, and really, really tried to find out the gender for us (stubborn girl!) but even though he wasn't able to see, he gave us a huge long sheet of really amazing pictures. That couldn't be farther from how it happened last night.

My husband and daughter came along, but had to wait in the waiting room during the ultrasound. I was led into a tiny little room that looked like a cross between a jail cell and a supply closet, and was boiling hot. Seriously, it must have been 85 degrees in there. I had to lay down on a hard, flat table that was barely wide enough to hold me, and uncomfortably short. My back was already bothering me, and holding myself in the position she needed me in was agonizing. The screen was facing away from me and the technician didn't say a single word to me for 45 minutes while she took measurements and whatnot. The last 5 minutes she called my husband and daughter in, and there was nowhere for them to sit or even stand really. They kind of got wedged in a corner of the room and my husband had to pick up my daughter. But I could tell that neither of them could really see. She tilted the screen towards me just enough that if I lifted my head and turned it at a really awkward angle, I could kind of see what she was pointing at. She quickly went through pointing out the head and the feet - so she said, I couldn't really tell - and printed out a few pictures. But the pictures were so blurry you can't even tell you're looking at a baby. It's just black and white fuzzy blur. She said she was able to determine the gender, but she wouldn't tell us. And honestly, I'm not all that sure I trust her judgement. So now I have to wait another 3 weeks for my next midwife appointment to find out, but I'm second guessing whether or not she's even going to be correct because she just seemed like a crappy technician.

The whole thing was frustrating and disappointing. I'm considering going for an elective ultrasound at one of those 3D places...but they're so expensive. Even on the days where they have specials, it's still over $120 for a basic package. It's about $150 on normal priced days, so it's not much of a special.

Arg.

January 12th, 2013, 11:31 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
wow thats terrible.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience
In this case I would go for the elective one
Karenna and dmreed32 like this.

January 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Regular
Ugh, I'm really sorry it sucked to bad!! I don't know where you are in Canada, but where I am, I love my ultrasound place!! It has really nice beds, projection screens for family or whoever to see the ultrasound on (after the tech is done with the measurements and stuff) and big rooms. The techs may be moody some days, but for the most part they are super. I always have to remind myself that ultrasounds aren't just for us to see the baby, its for measurements and checkups and medical purposes. I hate waiting the 30-45 minutes of the ultrasound for the tech to work, but we usually get as long as we want when she's done to see baby.

I'd request another one at a different clinic if you can. It's not a Canadian thing, your clinic just sucks.

January 12th, 2013, 11:42 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I am really sorry Hun! The naval hospital was like that. I'm sorry it wasnt a good experience.

January 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Rochelle
Ugh! What is up with these u/s techs!? I guess it's the luck of the draw. I had a good one with DS and a grumpy one with DD2. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I hope you're able to find out the gender soon. Do you have a gender preference? GL!
January 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I don't really have a gender preference - we already have a daughter and I would love-love-love another little girl. But since we're probably not having any more kids, it would be nice to have a boy so that we could have one of each. So either way, I'm happy. But I'm just so anxious to find out, and I really want to start buying and decorating and finalize the name so that I can make this baby feel a little more real to me!

I know the ultrasound isn't for my enjoyment, it's about making sure the baby is healthy and that's the most important thing. But it was just such a crappy experience and I'm feeling blue about the whole thing. I wish I could request another one at a different clinic, but since it's not medically necessary I'm sure it wouldn't be covered. Which means if I want a better experience, I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for it, so I may as well go to one of the 3d places. I mean, they're a business so I'd think they'd go out of their way to make sure it's a good experience for their customers. I know my husband was really disappointed with the appointment too, so maybe I can convince him that we should go for another.
4hearts likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry I know you have got to be so disappointed .

January 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
My husband just gave me the go-ahead to schedule an elective 3d ultrasound, yay! I can't wait! I'll keep you all updated!

January 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it makes you feel any better, I got 4 pics from my anatomy scan and you can barely tell what you're looking at. The tech was nice enough and the room was fine, but the baby just wouldn't cooperate. I'm glad you got the go ahead for your 3d ultrasound!

January 12th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Regular
I'm so glad you get another one!!! I totally didn't mean to sound all medical and uncaring, that wasn't my intent at all. I just mean that when I go for one, I have to calm myself down and remind myself why I'm there.....but part of the appointment IS for us!!! I'm sorry that it was so bad, but hopefully the next is awesome!!

January 12th, 2013, 05:35 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
That's really frustrating, but I'm glad your DH agreed to go for the elective one
January 12th, 2013, 06:17 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that sounds horrible. I am so sorry that happened to you. I think you made a good choice to get the elective one done.

January 12th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran
I agree with Logan plus one mommy! It's not nation wide!

My experiences have been mostly good! Although I've had a few ****** techs!
The place I go has a tv on the ceiling so you just lay back and watch! I had my mom , grandma and three kids in there for my first u/s and there was plenty of room!

Yes yes agreed for medical purposes HOWEVER it's also a very special moment in your life and part of celebrating that new life! It's unfortunate when medical personnel at whatever level make you feel more like cattle going through the chute VS when you get care that reflects that they realize that this is a very important moment in your life, your family, and they acknowledge it!

Sorry your experiences sucked! Definitely ask your GP if there is another option nearby!

January 13th, 2013, 06:31 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Woohoo for 3D! Can't wait to hear how it goes. I think the elective places go out of their way to make it an awesome experience bc they want you to send more business their way, so it should be great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search