Declining the gestational diabetes screening?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my last midwife appointment, the gestational diabetes discussion came up. At this point I'm leaning towards declining the glucose screening. There are a number of risk factors including family history, ethnicity, previous baby birth weights, high blood pressure, etc. Currently my weight is the only risk factor - I weigh 204 lbs. However I don't have any of the other risk factors, and I didn't do the testing with my last pregnancy even though I weighed 20 lbs more than I do now. And my DD was born at a perfectly normal weight of 7 lbs, 15 oz, and I didn't have any complications. I'm reluctant to undergo any testing that is unnecessary - I tend to go pretty natural with all this pregnancy and birth stuff, and my diet is pretty healthy overall already. Also, I was reading that the results can often be inaccurate. My midwife told me that if the test comes back showing that I'm at risk for GD, that they won't be able to see me anymore and I'll have to go to a high risk OB. I'd really rather not do that.

Anyone else declined or thinking about declining the glucose screening? I tried to talk to my husband about it, but he basically told me to decline it solely on the basis that I'm feeling pressured and to stop defending why I don't want to do it and just tell them no.

January 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not declined and I will probably do it this time, too, but I do find it strange that your OB won't see you anymore and will send you to a high risk OB just for being at risk for GD. I was borderline for my last pregnancy even tho I was at a normal weight and hadn't gained a whole lot during my pregnancy. I was borderline b/c I failed the one hour test and failed the last stick of the 3 hour by just a few points. They just gave me a list of foods to avoid and watched my weight. There was never even a mention of high risk. That seems really strange to me. I have never heard of anything like that.

January 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I did with my last pregnancy. Then we talked about doing a breakfast which was more accurate than shocking my body with an insane amount of sugar. I ate 2 pieces of toast, 2 eggs, an 8oz glass of orange juice, and an 8oz class of milk. Or you could just get a monitor and monitor your sugar at home. Either way its up to you.
eshute likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The doc actually sent me for my first screen at 9 weeks (somehow age put me at risk). I will test again at 22 or so weeks. I will definitely do the test - if I do develop GD I want the child monitored to ensure good health. There are significant risks of untreated GD. Not trying to pressure you, although I would discuss the risks of untreated GD with your care provider.

January 12th, 2013, 04:42 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No...I will be doing the glucose test. I have strong family hx of diabetes and def want to stay on top of it. You don't have be overweight to develop it. With my DS I was WAY heavier than I am now and my results came back perfectly normal, but that doesn't mean anything this pregnancy - each one is different.

But like everything else in pregnancy, you mos def have to do what is right for you and your baby.

*A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my super fantastic siggy!!*

January 12th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it's because it's a midwife office, and not a full medical office. If you're even possibly high risk, they refer you to an obstetrician. Probably a liability thing? I don't know, my last midwife (different location) didn't push me to have the testing done.

January 12th, 2013, 04:58 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was tested at 8 weeks because of my hx with PCOS and my weight. My numbers on the 1 hour test came back a few points high, but my 3 hour test came back fine. I'll definitely be doing the second test at 22/24 weeks. My sister had mild GD and my grandma was a full blown diabetic. My office is a midwife office and they haven't mentioned that if I have GD that I'll go somewhere else. It must be just a preference that your office has. My main reason for wanting to make sure I don't have GD is simply to be sure the baby is healthy and that I'll have as few complications as possible when the time comes to bring her into the world. I suppose I'd rather know than not know just so I can monitor and be sure I'm doing the best for my baby. Everyone is different. You should do what you're comfortable with.

January 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
You could also choose to decline the test but follow the gd diet.

January 12th, 2013, 05:35 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Why would you decline something which is just drinking a juice and getting blood work done?
it seems like ignoring what could be a serious issue seems kind of crazy to me
at my doctor the test is given to every woman at around 26/28 weeks at my doctor and if you test possibly positive they send you for the three hour test

January 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it were me, I wouldn't decline the test. It is yucky drinking that drink, but I just want to get it over with and make sure everything is okay. I know it would suck not being able to see your midwife if it came back not good... but I just know that there are a lot of health risks to the baby if GD is left untreated.

If you have no risk factors, then there is a good chance it will come back fine

January 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM
My main issue with the test is I passed out twice because of the sugar shock to my system. It shot it up and before the hour was over my sugar crashed into the 50s. Which is why I discussed alternatives to the test with my midwife. I would incourage you to do the same if you want. Or like I said in other posts is to get a glucose monitor and keep a journal of your sugars, you can also just assume you have it and follow the gd diet.

January 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I have never actually had to do the test before, and I considered asking if it was absolutely necessary. The doctor I had with my first two only did the test if there was something that came up in my urine samples that caused concern. My doctor this time around does them routinely (28 weeks, I believe she said).
January 12th, 2013, 08:06 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
My main issue with the test is I passed out twice because of the sugar shock to my system. It shot it up and before the hour was over my sugar crashed into the 50s.
This sounds like hypoglycemia. Did they ever test you for it?

If I didn't already have diabetes, I would do it. Diabetes doesn't just mean a big baby. The placenta in diabetic moms can start breaking down sooner and that is the reason for the extra nst's and ultrasounds. It's a noninvasive test and if it comes back all clear, you won't have to worry about them bugging you about it or worry about a different doctor.
zkat likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
January 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
No they didnt. They don't care at the naval hospital really. I was heavy so they didnt care. It was a mess. I still did a similar test with Everett, but with not the same effects.
MamaSkunk likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am still so nauseated, the idea of having to drink that garbage makes me want to puke. I'll see how I'm feeling later on in the pregnancy.

January 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Many doctors offices are open to the jelly bean test.
MamaSkunk and sunnydaze like this.

January 13th, 2013, 06:03 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
No they didnt. They don't care at the naval hospital really. I was heavy so they didnt care. It was a mess. I still did a similar test with Everett, but with not the same effects.
Aren't the naval hospitals terrible? They were so awful when I had a m/c with my first pregnancy that I called and switched to Tricare standard as soon as he offices opened the morning I got the pos pg test with DD. I got to see civilian doctors and use a civilian hospital instead. It was great!
MamaSkunk likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran
It's ultimately your decision- do what feels right. I think it's pretty non-invasive and the results could be really important for a healthy baby.
eshute likes this.
January 13th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would strongly urge you to do SOME kind of gestational diabetes testing, there are alternatives to the sugar drink as others have mentioned. But they are not pressuring you just to be mean, it is because uncontrolled/undiagnosed GD can be very dangerous. I know a very healthy young woman who lost her first baby to GD, she had no risk factors. I also know women who had no GD with baby #1 but then had it with baby #2. The reason the midwives would send you to an OB if you test positive, is because you and baby would need the extra monitoring to ensure you both stay safe and healthy.

I know people do decline it, and I am all for avoiding unnecessary interventions, but I really feel GD is a great thing to diagnose early and get proper treatment for if necessary, since it can be so dangerous. Just my opinion. Make sure you are highly aware of the signs and symptoms of GD, and eat really well, if you do decline the test! Good luck either way!

January 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Aren't the naval hospitals terrible? They were so awful when I had a m/c with my first pregnancy that I called and switched to Tricare standard as soon as he offices opened the morning I got the pos pg test with DD. I got to see civilian doctors and use a civilian hospital instead. It was great!
Naval hospitals are horrid. When DH was in the navy he was a corpsman...their equivalent of a dr while on ship. He had to do his schooling and internship at a Naval Hospital and the other drs there are why my DH didnt pursue a medical career...he was in the labor and delivery unit...a woman miscarried and the drs put the fetus in a jar to do testing. Lab didnt come quickly however and they kept putting this jar on the counter right where the lady could see it. My DH noticed her...kept trying to hide it and they kept putting it back up. DH finally flipped out...told off a bunch of naval drs and nurses they were a bunch of insensitive jerks...he said alot of other things....and he quit right then. Said he never wanted to be like them ever. Which is a shame cuz DH would have been a good dr.

Oh and i should add the test isnt so bad. My best friend had none of the GD risk factors...she still got it and her DD was born super preemie and she almost died from it. If its for the safety of your child...i feel you should do whats best for them even if you dont like it or it seems inconvient for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search