Pediatrician search

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have any FTMs started the search for a pediatrician? How are you going through the process? Friend recommendations? Online reviews? There is an overwhelming favorite office here, but I'm curious how others are doing in the process?

January 13th, 2013, 01:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We just kinda go with who they are assigned by tricare but I keep switching until I find one that I like. Which is very difficult for me.

January 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been looking at online reviews. DH likes SS's doctor and the whole practice but they have a strict vaccine policy and I am looking to delay some.
January 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This was a stresser for me last time. You need to think about what is important to you and interview.

The things that are important to us are: separate well and sick waiting rooms, availability of after hours clinic and flexibility on vax schedule.

Those that want to use an alternate vax schedule, depending on where you live, this could be tough. I found a pedi willing to do it. She is a D.O. And not n MD.
January 13th, 2013, 04:28 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I'm having to go through the process again because of the move! It sucks!! Luckily, there was an overwhelming favorite ped in our new town as well, and they align with everything I want (delayed vax, pro-BF'ing, EBF, not pushing us out the door with meds right away)....they actually sound even BETTER than my current ped!

When I did the search the first time with Connor, we actually went to visit a couple of offices. I knew right away with the first office I visited that I did NOT want her as our ped! Before I could even ask questions, she was telling me how she fully believed in 100% vaccinations on schedule and how formula was needed to supplement, etc, etc...things that I definitely have strong opinions on!

January 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For me it was important that they stay up to date on the latest advances and recommendations, that they believe in evidence based medicine and read some peer review literature regularly. I also look at where their degree is from. I listen to friend recommendations but also keep in mind who that friend is and how my priorities differ. Like in our old town, there were 2 main peds and one was old school but flexible and did whatever the parents wanted for vax or not, etc. The other required sticking to the vaccine schedule unless there was a medical reason not to and sometimes did not acquiesce to parents' wishes. Like one mom told me she switched from him bc he refused to give her school age son antibiotics at the first sign of an ear infection and wanted to wait and see if it cleared up on its own. Well, the current evidence and recommendations completely back that up and I am very against overuse of antibiotics, plus I am totally pro-vax. So I went with the latter guy and thought he was great.

When we moved, luckily my dad's best friend is a prominent local ped and he recommended someone who is a great doctor, and we have been very happy to use him!

January 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When choosing a ped for my DD i talked to my family that are in the med field and work at the same hospital for their opinions. And they gave a few suggestions. And I talked to a friend and went with one ped that all three had recommended and I love her. Shes completely laid back and totally fits with my parenting style. But before DD was born I didnt pick on before then.

January 13th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't even started THINKING about this. I think a large part of it is because I don't know if we're sticking around the area or moving. The furthest I've gotten is "Hmm, I should call my insurance and figure out when I have to add Arthur to my policy." That's it. LOL

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 14th, 2013, 03:44 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I was lucky with my doctor.. I found her almost 10 years ago, when I needed a Dr for my pregnancy.. She is a GP, very laid back. She use to work in a ski town in the mountains and had to ride on skis to work!

She understands my concerns, has never forced anything on me. We do not vax, we breast feed, cloth diaper, intact, we are very eastern medicine over western medicine.. We do not go to the doctor unless we need. I stopped well baby checks after year 1 .. She is wonderful and I always tell her she needs to be a midwife

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 14th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post

The things that are important to us are: separate well and sick waiting rooms, availability of after hours clinic.

This is probably THE most important thing for me. My kids seemed to get more sick going to the Doctor's office than anything else.

January 14th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my DD was born, we didn't have a pediatrician lined up until after she was born. Just one of those things that completely slipped my mind. We ended up getting in to see my husband's co-worker's pediatrician. He was the head pediatrician at Phoenix Children's Hospital and everyone told us how amazingly lucky we were to have him take us on. Turns out, the guy was a HUGE jerk. He made me feel like a terrible mother for "endangering" my child by having her at home. He had terrible bedside manner, and took every opportunity to remind me again what an awful parent I was. After a few appointments I started looking online for a new pediatrician. The second time around, I ended up going by online reviews. I think all of the amazing reviews for that location must have been for people who saw the nurse practitioner, because we loved her. She was so great with Fiona. Unfortunately, the Doctor was almost as bad as our first pediatrician, and we saw her for most of the visits.

We just moved this last summer, and I was worried I'd have to go through the whole rigmarole with finding another pediatrician. Thankfully, my parents have an amazing family doctor, and through their referral, we were able to get our family in with her. She's not a pediatrician per-say, but she does deliver babies (not mine, we're going with a midwife) and cares for them from the get-go. We've seen her a few times and I'm really happy with her. She's the first doctor I've seen in I don't know how many years that I've actually been happy with. So once our baby is born, we'll take him/her to see the family doctor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search