How was your epidural experience?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epi...i couldnt mentally handle the pain and I couldnt relax to breath. They hit a nerve when putting it in and that was not fun! But, I was so distraught by that point I basically emotionaly collapsed lol. Anyway, when it set in it was HEAVEN! I was like on cloud nine all smiles!

I plan to get it again this time but with my last I was on pitocen and I have been told natural contractions and pitocen cobtractions are very different...so hoping to avoid pit this time! My son had his head sideways so he wouldnt budge after three hrs of pushing. I had to get foreceps or a csection. I chose foreceps. There is no way I could have done foreceps without the Epi! It was harsh! No regrets though.

So yeah this time I am going into itas before,gping yo take it moment by moment. I have no problem getting an Epi again and probably will. I did have a pain in my back for a few days after the birth but nothing that didnt go away.
January 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I had one but it only took on one side of my body. My labor went super fast so I hardly noticed it though. They gave me another dose, but it didn't help. He was coming out!

In terms of being freaked out my needles, I barely even felt the epidural. Seriously, I hardly even remember it. Now the fricken IV in the arm was WAY worse! Gah!

January 14th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I was terrified of getting an epidural, partly because of the needle but also because I was undergoing an induction and everything i read said that using pitocin and an epidural can stall out your labor.

Eventually my doctor told me that my body was so stressed that it was already stalling out. The epidural would allow me to rest and my body will relax and allow the labor to continue. Which it did. Within a couple of hours I began to dilate more steadily, my contractions became more productive, etc. And i got a lot of sleep.

The only issue I had was that my epidural needle fell out. I woke up to feeling a dull but spreading pain in my left side. They upped my dosage but it was just leaking down my back. 2 hours later of screaming and horrific pain the anesthesiologist finally came into my room and held up the disconnected needle.

Hours later I felt the same build up of pain and panicked and started button mashing to get my nurse in ASAP. She checked the needle and all was well. I asked her how I'll know when the baby is ready. She said I would feel a lot of pressure on my pelvis and I'll feel a need to poop really badly. Then she LEFT. 5 minutes later I called her back in and made her check me. My kid's head was RIGHT THERE.

*NOTE* If you feel ANY pain or pressure after getting an epidural make the nurse check the NEEDLE first and then check to see if the baby's head is coming out.

Putting the needle in is no big deal. The only part of the process you will feel is when they give you a numbing shot and that is just like a tap and a teeny tiny prick (less than when you accidentally prick yourself while sewing). The hardest part of the whole process will be relaxing your back/muscles enough for them to slip it in. The first time I was so scared I was sobbing. The second time my contractions were so hard and painful it was very difficult to relax.

Thank you, you explained it really well
MerinSun likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Regular
I had an emerg c/section, so I had to have one, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Needles in my arm hurt worse. And I agree with MerinSun, the hardest part is relaxing your back muscles so they can get it in the right place. I was SO scared, but the anesthesiologist said "I'm going to count to 3 and put it in, but I need your back relaxed before I count". I got to 2 and felt a small poke, thought he was just feeling my muscles to see if I was relaxed, and then I felt like I peed my pants and couldn't feel my legs.....

After, I could feel where the needle went in for a couple weeks, but only if I touched it. It felt like when you have really stiff muscles and you push on them.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I had a spinal, not an epi.

Last edited by Logan plus one Mommy; January 14th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
January 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved my epidurals! The first time, it wasn't placed EXACTLY where it needed to be, so I had to lay on one side to get it numb, but it still got me relaxed enough to sleep through about 8 of the 15 hours I was in labor before I had to push. Then one of my inner thighs was a little numb for a couple of months afterwards. Baby was just fine though. The second time it was the perfect epidural. I gave birth and was up and walking around within hours and got sent home a day early because I was feeling so good and I missed my baby at home.
January 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had two miserable epidural experiences and will not have another ever. I had no lasting headache or back pain after either one. The needle going in and everything did not really hurt and was a lot less scary than I was expecting.

The problem I had was neither one of mine worked. With DD, it started working on my right side only. They rolled me over to my left side to try to get it to "spread"...at that point it stopped working on my right side as well. It finally kicked in right before I started pushing, just enough to make my pushing completely ineffective because I couldn't feel what I was doing. I pushed for an hour and a half.

With DS, my epidural did not work on either side. They spent hours tossing me from side to side, pulling the epidural out and reinserting it, tilting me all different directions on the bed, etc. The worst part was that I had a urinary catheter that they would not take out in the event that my epidural started working. I could feel it the entire time and it was almost more uncomfortable than the contractions. Never again will I go through that.

January 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I had an epi for my second labor, and I didn't like it at all. It's been 16 years so I honestly don't remember what exactly I disliked about it. I do remember I was really freaked out that I still couldn't move my legs the next day and had to be cathed b/c I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom. Anyway, my preference has been drug-free ever since.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epi with DD and had some sort of adverse reaction to it that caused me to vomit profusely my entire labor.. So this time (and any future babies), I will be going as natural as possible. It also caused my O2 to plummet.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It was okay for me. I couldn't feel anything so I was clueless when I was having contractions. I also couldn't feel to push so it took forever. Two hours after delivery, I had the shakes so bad. They kept wrapping warm blankets around me but I couldn't stop. I also had a really hard time breastfeeding Lily. Latching the hospital was so hard and it didn't go much better at home. The back ache lasted for months. These are the mild side effects. My sister's epis with baby #2 and #3 didn't work on her inductions. She had no coping skills for contractions so they were miserable labors for her. A former co-worker had paralysis in her right leg for months that required physical therapy.

My entire labor and delivery the second time was so much better without the epi. My mind did not register the contractions as pain. They just happened and I hummed through them until the next one. Delivery was a breeze with no stitches (as opposed to crazy amounts of stitches and sitting on a donut pillow for weeks with Lily). I was up walking an hour after delivery and didn't have the shakes. Breastfeeding the second time was a lot easier even with her tongue tie and reflux. She latched immediately after she was checked out, when Lily wouldn't until hours later
navywifey2003 and Gen88 like this.
January 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My last baby was a dream epidural. It was more like a walking epidural so I could still move my legs, feel to push, or in my case scream at them that the baby was coming.

My first baby I couldn't feel anything. Didn't know when to push. My second, they were too slow and I had him without an epi, although I then got one because I retained the placenta, so I had all the pain and then still couldn't move after. My third was great but again, couldn't move after. My 4th I knew something was wrong. The epi felt weird. I ended up getting a spinal headache that they misdiagnosed and sent me home with. After a week of lying flat on the floor, I had a blood patch done. It was great for about 24hrs, then it came back. I then had to have a 2nd one done. My 5th baby, the epididn't take, which was a good thing because I had a placental abruption and was able to feel it to tell them something was wrong. My 6th I had an epi that worked well. And then my last. All of mine were inductions and all I got an epi early in case I needed a c_section.
Honestly, if I had a choice, I'd get a walking epidural. I did the no epi twice and it wasn't pleasant. The bad epi's weren't pleasant either but I have no lasting back pain or side effects. I am debating whether an epi or knocking me completely out will be better this time. I've never had asection.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search