How was your epidural experience?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my son Naturally and that's a pain I'm not looking forward to so I was thinking of getting the epidural this time. I'm really scared to get one though, I'm not scared of needles, I'm just scared that I'm gonna have back pain the rest of my life or even worse be paralyzed. So how was your experience, did it hurt? Do you suffer from back pain? Do oh wish you never got it? Or was it heaven to you? Is the baby affected in any way by it?

January 13th, 2013, 09:56 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I had one with my first child. I hated that stupid thing. I felt it made my labor last longer and made my pushing ineffective because I could not feel anything. My back hurt for weeks and I had a headache from you know where for days. It made David very very sleepy more so than the normal sleepy 24 hours. There was a big difference between him and my 2 natural births. Could you instead if you want a natural birth look into hypnobabies? It is an amazing self hypnosis program that I found very helpful in getting me prepared for my natural birth with Everett. I am not trying to talk you out of the epi just giving an alternative.

January 13th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I had one with my first child. I hated that stupid thing. I felt it made my labor last longer and made my pushing ineffective because I could not feel anything. My back hurt for weeks and I had a headache from you know where for days. It made David very very sleepy more so than the normal sleepy 24 hours. There was a big difference between him and my 2 natural births. Could you instead if you want a natural birth look into hypnobabies? It is an amazing self hypnosis program that I found very helpful in getting me prepared for my natural birth with Everett. I am not trying to talk you out of the epi just giving an alternative.

Oh don't worry I'm really leaning towards not getting it just cuz I don't wanna drug up my baby, I'm freaking out more the epidural than the actual labor lol. I'm gonna look in to and research that hypnosis thing you brought up. I really think I can do it again

January 13th, 2013, 10:01 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking...lol

I got one with DD1 and it was HEAVEN!!!! Lol! I got it about 26 hours into a pitocin induction and it was so nice. I didn't even feel it go in, I had no aftereffects besides some swelling (but that also could have been from being hooked up to IVs for 2 days) and I felt NOTHING!

I waited too long with DD2 and COULDN'T GET ONE. And it was awful! Lol.

I can't speak to effects on baby because DD1 had alot of other stuff going on, she did have low apgars and a NICU stay but she was also 5 weeks early with IUGR and low fluid, I believe those were the factors in her struggling a bit and not the epi
Gen88 likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 10:02 PM
At the time I didnt think anything of it but after my unplanned natural birth I was amazed at the difference.
Gen88 likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran
I've had 4 spinals(that did not go in the first time) and 2 epidurals with my 3 babies....

No lasting effects... And when you're in the moment and you want it it's no big deal... Was much worse going in sober(not in labor) for the last two spinals!

Had some soreness for a few weeks after each birth but only if you rubbed that spot!
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 04:03 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had one but I am the same way, I am more scared of an epidural than a natural labor. I already get bad headaches and I have heard of a spinal headache and I just know that I would get it! It freaks me out!
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 04:23 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I have only had one and will never do it!! I still have a sore spot on my back after 9 years!!

I can still remember how my legs felt, when I was trying to push. I felt very not in control of my body and I hate that feeling!!
Gen88 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 14th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The first words out of my mouth are epi Had one each time and loved it. The second time I was almost 7 cm dialated and not inactive labor (had history of preterm). The doc didn't want me going home that far, so they decided to poke my water to start labor. I had no pain and still would not permit anything until my epi.
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I had a spinal block with my second (I had planned to go natural, but my labor stalled out because I was so tense from super strong pit contractions), which isn't exactly the same thing, but the hospital I deliver at didn't do epidurals at the time. I HATED it. It did help me relax and progress faster, but the next day was miserable. I had a reaction to it so my entire body itched like crazy. I had a horrible headache and backache, and I couldn't keep anything down. Most of which I've heard can be similar to after effects of an epi.
Gen88 likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 07:41 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i had one and it was HEAVEN!!!!!
will def get one with this baby
no after affects what so ever
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one and needed it! My water broke before I was in active labor, so they gave me something called cerividil (sp?) to try and jump start my labor bc I was hoping to avoid pitocin. Apparently, it doesn't work for anyone. Well, it got my contractions going. They were really hard, one on top of the other, and unproductive. They took out the cerividil and it still didn't stop. After 12 hours, I was screaming for the epidural. I still didn't deliver for another 16.5 hours, even with pitocin. If I hadn't had the epidural, I think I would have end up with a c- section bc I would have been too exhausted to push. I'm pretty sure they turned it off when I pushed bc the delivery was really painful and I was able to walk on my own really soon after delivery. I didn't have any pain or lasting effects.

I have the hypno babies thing and I tried it, but when the contractions were coming so hard, so fast, and I wouldn't completely over before I started spiking for another, I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm going to try it again this time since I already have it, but if I need the epi, I need it and I'm not ashamed. Childbirth is hard.
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are a lot of horror stories about the epidural, but really, I had it twice and there were no lasting effects for me, it was amazing, and my kids are fine.

Getting it at first is always stressful, because I have a big fear of needles, but the nurses are really nice, and you can't really feel anything but pressure when they do it because they numb the area first.

You will freak yourself out if you read stories on the internet about it. Just keep in mind that more people are going to post about bad epidurals than the women who had no issue at all with theirs.

If you are nervous, talk to your doctor.

January 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I had an epidural with my first. It allowed me to sleep for several hours, up until it was time to push. While i was pushing, I could still feel the pain from the contractions.
Afterwards, I did not have any long term problems related to the epidural, but I did notice that my recovery from birth seemed to take a lot longer than it did with my second baby (drug free birth). For example, I remember it being harder to move around, get up and down, etc. Also, my first-born seemed at least a little sleepier than the second after birth.
Gen88 likes this.
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

January 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My understanding is that the epidural drugs are stuck inside your nervous system and cannot transfer to baby at all because they are not in your blood, that is part of the point of why they developed it. So I don't know why you would have a sleepier baby because of getting an epidural, maybe there was another cause? My DD was mad as heck and yelling, thrashing, coughing, fighting with all her might when she came out, her apgars were 9 and 10 at 1 and 5 minutes.

I had an epidural when I was stuck at 9 cm for a couple of hours with horrible pitocin contractions. I could tell that I was not able to relax and open up anymore so I asked for the epi. It was a little creepy and weird to get it but I *really* didn't care anymore at that point lol. It caused total numbness for me and I could not feel any of my pushing or baby coming out, luckily I had experienced pushy contractions earlier in my labor so I knew which muscles to use, but it felt very weird to be pushing and not feeling the muscles, like it was all mental. It worked anyway. I didn't have headaches or any permanent effects. It took 12 hours for all the feeling to return in one of my legs so I couldn't walk around or shower all day. I really wished I could shower!!! But overall, it was an appropriate intervention for me at the time and I don't regret it.

This time I am doing hypnobabies and getting a doula and will be in a very NCB friendly hospital. I am confident that as long as there are no medical issues, I will have a natural birth this time I don't think the epi is dangerous, but there are some risks so you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks for you personally
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My epidural was a blessing!! I didn't even feel it cuz it was in between contractions. And no lasting anything. I will definitely be opting for another one!!
Karen78 and Gen88 like this.
January 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I think it effects everyone differently just like everything else in pregnancy or in life really.
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Super Mommy
I had the epidural when I had my last c-section and found it to be really amazing! I was amazed at how one little shot (which didn't hurt btw) could numb your from your chest down LOL! It took a few hours to wear off but I had no lasting problems with it and neither did DD.
Gen88 likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didnt have any epi even tho i was on pitocin for my water breaking without having contractions. I had no pain meds at all. I did have a 24 hour labor...and I used the shower to help relax me. And slept thru the contractions from 4 cm until 7 cm....i was that tired. (Just to add that it can be done without meds while on pitocin!)
Also two of my best friends had epis and both still have extreme pain at the injection site...one two years later...the other three years later(different hospitals) and both had pretty bad spinal headaches for weeks (one of them was so bad I had to help her with baby cuz lights and loud noises and standing were all hard for her to handle for three weeks) Another friend had an epi due to an emergency c section (i was there and was her labor buddy) and they kept jabbing her and not getting it right so jab again. She was sobbing trying not to move. I got pissed and told the guy if they didnt do it right id kick him in the junk(Im overprotective of those i care about) he finally got it right so she could have her c section. (I was the first to hold my godson but she also had alot of pain for weeks after that she swore was worse than her incision site.
So....all that said I would never get an epi and after watching my three friends go thru a bunch of nonsense from them....I will always reccomend to not use a epi and use other natural pain relief...whether it be water...or hypno etc as ways to deal with pain.
Gen88 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was terrified of getting an epidural, partly because of the needle but also because I was undergoing an induction and everything i read said that using pitocin and an epidural can stall out your labor.

Eventually my doctor told me that my body was so stressed that it was already stalling out. The epidural would allow me to rest and my body will relax and allow the labor to continue. Which it did. Within a couple of hours I began to dilate more steadily, my contractions became more productive, etc. And i got a lot of sleep.

The only issue I had was that my epidural needle fell out. I woke up to feeling a dull but spreading pain in my left side. They upped my dosage but it was just leaking down my back. 2 hours later of screaming and horrific pain the anesthesiologist finally came into my room and held up the disconnected needle.

Hours later I felt the same build up of pain and panicked and started button mashing to get my nurse in ASAP. She checked the needle and all was well. I asked her how I'll know when the baby is ready. She said I would feel a lot of pressure on my pelvis and I'll feel a need to poop really badly. Then she LEFT. 5 minutes later I called her back in and made her check me. My kid's head was RIGHT THERE.

*NOTE* If you feel ANY pain or pressure after getting an epidural make the nurse check the NEEDLE first and then check to see if the baby's head is coming out.

Putting the needle in is no big deal. The only part of the process you will feel is when they give you a numbing shot and that is just like a tap and a teeny tiny prick (less than when you accidentally prick yourself while sewing). The hardest part of the whole process will be relaxing your back/muscles enough for them to slip it in. The first time I was so scared I was sobbing. The second time my contractions were so hard and painful it was very difficult to relax.
Gen88 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search