Declining Vax?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 3 Post By BeccaMenk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you get your kids into school if you decline vacinations? I know some of you home school. But what about the rest of you?

January 14th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have not declined any vaccintations. Just an opinion - the diseases they are treated for are far deadlier than the risks associated with vaccines. Now, my son has Asperger's so I do get the thermosol free ones.

January 14th, 2013, 06:18 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the vaccines as well because my cousin has had two kidney transplants and the medicines he needs to survive compromise his immune system so something as "Easy" as the chicken pox could kill him. So any diseases that we can eradicate completely I am all for. He missed most of his senior year of high school due to the h1n1 virus because he was not allowed to attend when there was even one reported case. There are many many kids like him that don't have the option of skipping their medicine that day or their shots - its for all of them that I choose to vax my children.

January 14th, 2013, 06:28 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
In Colorado, we have a religious, medical or a personal exemption.

We mark a box, for personal reasons. But we also sign a waiver that states, if there is a out break of any kind. We will stay at home

It all depends on your state and what they require.

State Vaccine Requirements
bribugg13 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 14th, 2013, 06:31 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I choose to vaccinate, but I don't like the crazy schedules of a bunch of shots at once. I get DD, and will do the same with this baby, one shot at a time. If there are 3 she is supposed to get, it's one every 3 weeks. I also make sure they are single dose vaccines vs the multi-dose bottles with preservatives. I figure my cautious nature can't hurt her in this case, so I have fought doctors to make this happen and I am happy about it. A big p,us to doing one at a time is, that if she has a reaction (she did with one) I knew which one, so I knew when to expect it again.

January 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My state and MS are the only states that don't give you any option at all. Well, that answers that.

January 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
That sucks, Tania! I'm sorry they don't give you an option. Could you call the school and ask them their policies? Connor's only 2.5, so I'm not there yet, we don't fully decline vax's (I do for chicken pox, and hope he catches them before school starts!), but we do a delayed schedule. I plan to do the same for the new baby, and hope we don't run into any troubles with doctor's, etc. Good luck to you!

January 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We delay but complete the vaccines before we register the kids for school.

January 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I delayed the vax but DD has gotten them. I declined the Hep B vax they wanted to give her before she left the hospital....because seriously hep b is a sexually transmitted disease im sure shes not gonna just get that and ive heard of alot of babies getting sick and having reactions from that vax. But the rest she got just when she wasnt an infant. Id rather vax late than have my child get polio for example and have them not able to walk again (and there have been recent outbreaks of polio by the way)

January 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No vaxs here. Its really an important personal choice. You have to do all your research and decide what your comfortable living with.
January 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySami View Post
In Colorado, we have a religious, medical or a personal exemption.

We mark a box, for personal reasons. But we also sign a waiver that states, if there is a out break of any kind. We will stay at home

It all depends on your state and what they require.

State Vaccine Requirements
This. In Florida we have this. I've gotten them for a couple of ours though really it wasn't necessary due to us homeschooling.
January 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sign a waiver.
January 14th, 2013, 02:02 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have always wondered this, even though I vaccinate my kids. Interesting... thanks for asking the question

January 14th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Regular
Is it optional to vax in every state, or are there some where you would have to vax in order to enroll in schools? And if it is mandatory for schools, and you choose to decline vaxing, what then? I'm Canadian, and I'll admit that I don't know what happens here if we don't vax. My friend declined vaxing for all 4 of her kids, and the older 3 are all enrolled in school. I'm not sure if she had to sign paperwork or not, but I remember it was difficult.

January 14th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
SassySami posted a link that shows you on a map which states will allow it and which ones wont.

January 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I also declined the Hep B vax at birth because that seemed ridiculous to me. We did end up getting it several months later. I also decline flu shots for the kids. I'm not opposed to vaccines, I just prefer to only do some at a time instead of 5 at once. NC allows a medical or religious exemption, which I don't have
January 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I delay as well but get them. In the end I think the vaccine is better than the risk of the actual disease, most of which is eradicated in our country because of these vaccines but deadly in others because they dont have such options.
January 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
SassySami posted a link that shows you on a map which states will allow it and which ones wont.
But if your state won't allow it, then what? Is homeschooling your only option?

January 14th, 2013, 06:43 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We selective vax based on conversations with my pedi

DTap was done on schedule and DH and I both got it. Flu, we wait each each year and assess the situation. We did flu shot last week. MMR was a single dose and on schedule. We will do chicken pox by age 4. Declined Polio because the ony reported cases of it in the US are from the Vax. We still need Hep ( which is not exclusively an STD. It is fluid borne)

It is personal and every situation is different.
January 14th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I vax and have followed the schedule the doctors have recommend in the past... however this time around I may do things differently. I was asked at DD 4 year check up if I wanted her to get her Kindergarten shots now and I said no I will get them when she needs them...I thought that was really weird and made me think about a lot of things vax related.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search