MOTW - My early life

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 2 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 04:40 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave my parents a scare when I was born. I was born with gastroschisis (an abdominal wall defect) which was a complete surprise to them. I spent the first month or so in the NICU, and had to be fed with a prescription-only, super-expensive formula after that. Sorry Mom and Dad. Maybe that's why I'm an only child.

My parents divorced when I was in elementary school. My mother remarried and made some bad lifestyle choices. I ended up moving in with my Dad. I haven't talked to my mom in years because of the bad choices she made when I was growing up. Thankfully my father also remarried, and my stepmother raised me as her own and kept me from making my own bad lifestyle choices. To this day, my stepmom is Mom to me. I'm pretty close with my dad. Unfortunately he lives in NC (I live in NY) so most of our closeness is through phone conversations. We don't have the money to travel much so I don't see him as much as I'd like. He's pretty excited about the arrival of his first grandchild.

I got a 2 year degree in communications when I finished high school. I wanted to work in radio SO BAD. I volunteered at a local radio station for a bunch of years. As soon as I got my degree, I decided it wasn't what I wanted to do. When I was 26 I started school again, this time in interior design. I was 3 classes away from graduating, but decided again to switch majors; this time to American History. I decided while in interior design school that I wanted to get into historic preservation. So, with a new 4 year degree in history, I got pregnant before I could even find a job. Not that there are many jobs around now, but I can't change jobs now. And not that I'm complaining. We've been trying for over a year.

That's my early life in a nutshell. I've led a boring, but for the most part satisfying life. More tomorrow.

January 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to work in historic preservation too! That is crazy I went the Urban Planning-Emphasis in Historical Preservation and a minor in Architectural History route

January 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I wanted a general degree that I could use for a job outside of preservation. There isn't a huge calling here for preservationists, unfortunately.

January 14th, 2013, 05:00 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is very true... I will probably end up working in Planning in an area I am not thrilled about while I wait for an opportunity. I have been volunteering with the heritage society here in Salt Lake for several years and that has been a lot of fun. I have gotten to know a lot of good contacts that hopefully will watch for something to open up for me someday Good luck in finding a job, too! I hope we both can find one!

January 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm looking forward to get to know you better!

January 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to tomorrow's update.

January 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I met Matt through a mutual friend a bunch (I don't remember how many) of years ago. I was recently out of a long-term relationship and was not ready to date. Matt and I had hung out a few times as friends. There was clearly chemistry between us but I was really enjoying being single at that time in my life. Matt started asking me out...over, and over, and over again. I'd turn him down each time. One night during some heavy drinking we were wrestling on the floor and he ripped my bra. It was purely innocent.

Fast forward a couple months to me finally caving in to a date. Matt picked me up and handed me a bag. He bought me a new bra. And that was the only romantic gesture I've seen from him. We went out to dinner and I didn't think anything would happen. Little did I know that we would be married 3 years later.

We got married on August 27th, 2010. We had the most awesome, laid back wedding imaginable. We rented a lodge in a local park, invited 130 people, and hung out. We had an open bar, build-your-own taco bar, and a sweet candy buffet. I'll post a couple pics at the bottom of this.

Our relationship is the complete opposite of what my parents had. We have never fought....even once. Don't get me wrong; we disagree about things. We just choose not to argue or yell about it. I am so thankful that we are both so laid back and go-with-the-flow. I am thankful that our kids won't be exposed to constant yelling and bickering.

So, about DH. He's not romantic. He's geeky (computer geeky). He plays video games. He's mellow, even tempered. He's not emotionally open, but I can read him pretty well. He's a lot like me, actually (minus the video game and geeky part). I think we're perfect together.

DH and I at our wedding (yes, that's what we wore during the ceremony)

Candy buffet

January 15th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You sound like a perfect pair. Love that you did your wedding YOUR way. And I seriously want some of that candy now.
TeresaV likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
This baby is my first. I have a 9 year old stepdaughter who I met when she was 3. Thankfully we get along great. DH and I try to be very open and upfront with her about life. We try not to sugar coat things and give her the straight scoop the best we can. There are some exceptions to that, of course, but we are both cut-to-the-chase people.

My biggest fear with this baby is that my stepdaughter gets jealous. I don't think she will, but DH and I have discussed how we have to be really careful and make sure we give her adequate attention so that she doesn't feel like she's being pushed aside. I think she'll be a great helper. She is one of those kids who always offers to help with whatever we are doing. She'll hold the door open for strangers. I hope this kid turns out like that too.

I can't really say how I'll be as a "true" mother, but I plan on instilling values in her that I fear have been somewhat lost on younger generations: respect for elders, good work ethic, using good manners, and taking responsibility for oneself.
MamaSkunk and Kim3 like this.

January 16th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You sound like an awesome stepmom! You'll do great for this one too.
TeresaV likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 07:48 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm loving getting to know you better! You guys sound like a perfect match for each other and I think you will do wonderfully as a "new" mother, judging by how things are already with your stepdaughter.
TeresaV likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Even though you are her step mother you have still been raising a child for several years. You will do great!
TeresaV likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search