BTDT moms: what you said you'd never do?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 4 Post By dmreed32
  • 2 Post By Steph625
  • 3 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By hilachu
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought this would be good for a chuckle. Thinking back to before you had a baby, what did you think "I will never do..." or "my baby would never be allowed to do..."

I thought I would never use bleach or sanitary cycles on my cloth diapers. I was going to have zero screen time, whether big TV screen or computer or smartphones or tablets, before age 2. (Despite the fact that DH and I are gadget freaks and have tons of these things around the house.) And somehow I had this idea that only ill behaved babies would throw food, and mine would never do that.

navywifey2003 likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always used to see moms letting their kids scream and throw tantrums and they would just walk away. I couldn't understand how they could do that and vowed I never would. WELP! Sometimes that is all I can do to keep from having a meltdown--just walk away lol. Dang terrible two's...
ashleykathleen likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I was also going to limit the tv time and technology world. Now he pretty much has his own ipod already, it's ridiculous!

January 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I swore I would never be one of those parents that rewarded my child for acting out. And.... I dont really reward bad behavior however.... i have bribed her to behave...which is kinda the same thing lol But omg these terrible twos are killing me! They stink!
bribugg13 likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Three is worse just wait hehe.

I was also going to limit screen time. Haha yea right. We limit their time allowed but sometimes mama needs a break! I thought cloth diapers were so weird, natural birth was for hippies, and extended breastfeeding was weird. Holy cow I've changed since having my first at 21.
Kyla0709 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 03:53 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Screen time and sleeping with me.... Guess who is sleeping next to me right now haha

January 16th, 2013, 04:46 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Three is worse just wait hehe.
Oh yeah!

I swore I would never let my baby sleep with me, I would never want to be a SAHM, I'd limit screen time.

I do sort of limit tv time but sometimes I am just too tired to stand my ground. Abri slept in our bed from 4 months until 14 months. I really liked being at home and wish I could go back
January 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Screen time for sure. Sometimes Sesame Street is the only way to calm a meltdown for a few minutes. Or let me make lunch!

Also, bringing him into bed with us. NEVER thought I'd do that!! It's a last resort here, but at 3am when you've tried everything else, it's just easier at this point.

January 16th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Super Mommy
so glad i'm not alone! lol - never in a million years did i think i'd bedshare with my baby. but we do every night! and i never thought i'd just let him watch tv whenever...but sometimes mama's gotta take a shower! put ds in his highchair with a snack and put on nick jr.
January 16th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I said I would never allow my toddler to wear makeup till she was older but she got a bunch of makeup from a secret santa and I said what the heck. She's been really good with keeping it only on her and not putting a ton on.

January 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I said I'd never breast feed. Always felt my boobies were for play only and not for what God intended them to be used for. I plan to breast feed and couldn't be more excited.
Karen78 and Kim3 like this.
January 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I said I wouldn't breastfeed past 6 months. And then I hit 6 months and realized "So just what the heck did I plan on feeding my kid?!" Then it became "not past a year" and then I said screw it and decided I'll quit when I want. We made it to 17 months before I got pregnant and it hurt too much to continue If I had not gotten pregnant I would most likely still be nursing, lol.

I also said that I would not nurse without a cover in public and then after one too many struggles with the cover where I ended up revealing MUCH more than if I had just simply popped it out I gave up on that, too. Did you know that babies like to flap things around??? lol
navywifey2003, Karen78 and Kim3 like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 16th, 2013, 11:12 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to say I would never share my bed with my children...hahaha! I haven't had a child free night in bed in over 2 years!

I also used to say I never wanted children

January 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
probably the tv thing though we did really well the first six months (my gf has her kid watching walking dead at 3 months!) after that it went down hill
mickey mouse while mommy showers? dont mind if i do
Karen78 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I said I would never cosleep or cloth diaper. But cosleeping was awesome for getting a good night's sleep and both DH and I really enjoyed it. And when I quit my job, CDing didn't seem that bad.

We did manage to keep the TV off around DD until after she was 2. With DS, he didn't really watch until after 1. We limit it to 30-90 minutes a day, depending on how tired we are and if we want to let them watch a Disney movie or just a 30 minute show.
January 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I said I wouldn't breastfeed past 6 months. And then I hit 6 months and realized "So just what the heck did I plan on feeding my kid?!" Then it became "not past a year" and then I said screw it and decided I'll quit when I want. We made it to 17 months before I got pregnant and it hurt too much to continue If I had not gotten pregnant I would most likely still be nursing, lol.

I also said that I would not nurse without a cover in public and then after one too many struggles with the cover where I ended up revealing MUCH more than if I had just simply popped it out I gave up on that, too. Did you know that babies like to flap things around??? lol
I nursed each of my kids to 17-18 months.
MerinSun likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I said I would never cosleep or cloth diaper. But cosleeping was awesome for getting a good night's sleep and both DH and I really enjoyed it. And when I quit my job, CDing didn't seem that bad.

We did manage to keep the TV off around DD until after she was 2. With DS, he didn't really watch until after 1. We limit it to 30-90 minutes a day, depending on how tired we are and if we want to let them watch a Disney movie or just a 30 minute show.
I'm hoping that this is what we end up sticking to when we finally let him watch tv regularly. I'm fine with him watching a show or two a day. I suspect that this will happen when the new one comes along and i have to nurse and Alex is nutso, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search