Can I eat TOO MUCH fruit?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This may be a dumb question, but can I eat too much fruit?

I've been making fruit smoothies A LOT. It's hard for me to eat much throughout the day even though I'm not nauseous. I just get full fast. But with smoothies, I can blend a lot of nutritious foods and drink it easily. At my last appointment, my nurse was a little concerned with my weight loss. I've lost between 15-20 pounds and haven't gained anything. As long as I know I'm getting the right amounts of foods, I'm not going to worry about it.

So anyway, I add spinach, whatever fruits we have, and some milk. Should I limit this, or is it okay to drink away??
January 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes it is possible... but it doesn't sound like you are to me. Fruit is healthy! And you add spinach which is awesome for you! I wouldn't worry about your smoothies Try to snack in smaller portions on some of the other food groups throughout the day maybe? To try and get some more calories!

January 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I agree with Valerie.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
Yes it is possible... but it doesn't sound like you are to me. Fruit is healthy! And you add spinach which is awesome for you! I wouldn't worry about your smoothies Try to snack in smaller portions on some of the other food groups throughout the day maybe? To try and get some more calories!

I eat other stuff too!
January 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha, k then I think you are good!

January 16th, 2013, 04:31 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Fruit is healthy but high in sugar. Me PERSONALLY, I limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day and try to get more vegetables. So, I mean.. if you're making these smoothies several times a day, then yes, possibly you could be overdoing it. Otherwise, enjoy!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
yeah you need to mix up your food intake
baby needs all sorts of nutrients from grains, meats, veggies

January 16th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, it can happen. I wouldn't go over two or three servings a day, fruit can be high in sugar. But you can look up what types of fruit have less sugar so you can have more of it. Also, I add a scoop of protein powder to my smoothie every day and that alone adds 26 grams of protein. Watch the ingredients lists though, they can get pretty dicey. I love Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate-Vanilla flavor. Whey protein isolate is the most bioavailable whey protein there is, and this brand is made with just WPI, non-GMO soy lecithin, vanilla flavor and stevia.
January 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilachu View Post
yeah you need to mix up your food intake
baby needs all sorts of nutrients from grains, meats, veggies
I never said fruit is the only thing I eat. I eat other meals too.
January 16th, 2013, 07:23 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bc fruit is high in sugar, I think it can cause problems with sugar. When I was pg with DD, I was borderline GD and the dr said the pounds (literally) of fruit I was eating could be a possible reason for higher blood sugar.

January 16th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Bc fruit is high in sugar, I think it can cause problems with sugar. When I was pg with DD, I was borderline GD and the dr said the pounds (literally) of fruit I was eating could be a possible reason for higher blood sugar.
Good to know. I guess I should cut back. Maybe I'll reduce the amount of fruit and add another veggie to the blend.
January 16th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMIGOD. A strawberry smoothie would be PERFECT right now.

I think as long as you were watching your sugar you should be fine. A glass of smoothie with each meal should be fine. You should be eating 3-4 servings of fruit a day while pregnant and if you look at nutritional value you can substitute some fruits out for certain veggies. So, you can have 5-6 servings of fruit and only 1-2 servings of veggies

I would recommend a plain greek yogurt or a vanilla flavored greek yogurt with very little sweetener to blend in your smoothies. I also enjoy this brand Mountain High which has more of a buttery taste to it.

Because you're only 17 weeks I wouldn't worry about your weight. I lost 25lbs with my first pregnancy before 18 weeks. I gained nothing my second trimester and only 10lbs in my third. 2 weeks after I gave birth I weighed myself and realized I lost 50lbs.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As long as you don't have diabetes, the fruit sugar isn't going to hurt you.

It sounds like you have a healthy diet, so don't worry too much about. I bet the weight starts coming on soon.
January 16th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
OMIGOD. A strawberry smoothie would be PERFECT right now.

I think as long as you were watching your sugar you should be fine. A glass of smoothie with each meal should be fine. You should be eating 3-4 servings of fruit a day while pregnant and if you look at nutritional value you can substitute some fruits out for certain veggies. So, you can have 5-6 servings of fruit and only 1-2 servings of veggies

I would recommend a plain greek yogurt or a vanilla flavored greek yogurt with very little sweetener to blend in your smoothies. I also enjoy this brand Mountain High which has more of a buttery taste to it.

Because you're only 17 weeks I wouldn't worry about your weight. I lost 25lbs with my first pregnancy before 18 weeks. I gained nothing my second trimester and only 10lbs in my third. 2 weeks after I gave birth I weighed myself and realized I lost 50lbs.
Thanks for your input.
I'll add that I never add any sweetener to the smoothies. I just use fryit, veggies, and milk.
January 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it sounds like your doing fine amy As long as ya say only have maybe two smoothies a day. They sound delish!

January 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sounds delish! I think you should be fine, throw in a few more veggies and call it a day! If you are really concerned call your dr. and ask but it sounds like you are getting your calories any way you can hold them down right now. It's not like you are eating oreo milk shakes multiple times a day

January 16th, 2013, 09:14 PM
First time mommy :)
I am also obsessed with smoothies. I add V8 fusion and Greek yogurt to mine. The V8 has a full serving of fruit and vegetables in each 8oz serving. Then along with the actual strawberries and pineapple and banana I add, I feel I get almost all my fruit and one of my veggie servings in one shot.The Greek yogurt I add also has 12g of protein. But I think I'm gunna throw in some protein powder that sounded like a great idea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search