How important are kegel exercises?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By Steph625
  • 2 Post By Steph625
  • 1 Post By Karen78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you do them? I hate doing it.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope not too important bc I don't do them. I did for a llittle bit with DD
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind doing them. I've been trying to do them more now, but did them occasionally before I got pregnant for various reasons. I don't know how important they are to pregnancy, though.

January 16th, 2013, 05:21 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do them when I think about it. I'm not a huge fan, either.

January 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think they are good for control when you get pee leakage issues and are GREAT for postpartum. I don't see a big need to do a ton of them before birth though. Some of the "programs" are out of control, like you need to spend 10 minutes a day doing kegels. Not for me!

January 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know how important they are exactly but I am doing them more this pregnancy. I didn't do them a lot with my 1st and I tinkle in my panties when I cough hard or sneeze when NOT pregnant.
Karen78 likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
^"tinkle in my panties"....heehee.

I haven't started doing them yet. Last pregnancy, I did them whenever I was in the car. I just couldn't remember to do them any other time. Plus they are super annoying to do, and they are tiring!! I didn't do them at all post-pregnancy. No tinkle in my panties yet!

January 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
^"tinkle in my panties"....heehee.

I haven't started doing them yet. Last pregnancy, I did them whenever I was in the car. I just couldn't remember to do them any other time. Plus they are super annoying to do, and they are tiring!! I didn't do them at all post-pregnancy. No tinkle in my panties yet!
Oh Karen...if it weren't for the fact I love you and we are family...I'd dislike you. 1st-no nausea, no vomiting, no energy loss, have a cute baby bump and NOW no tinkle in the panties. Grr!! Haha!!!
Karen78 and dmreed32 like this.
January 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The purpose for kegals during pregnancy is to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles...which aid you in pushing. Also they help prevent issues like peeing when sneezing or puking. (And while they do say that after having a baby everything tightens on its own back to normal...thats cant be true lol seriously you pushed a kid out of your hooha) And haha I am told guys notice things feel tighter if ya do kegals regularly

January 17th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph625 View Post
Oh Karen...if it weren't for the fact I love you and we are family...I'd dislike you. 1st-no nausea, no vomiting, no energy loss, have a cute baby bump and NOW no tinkle in the panties. Grr!! Haha!!!
But...but....but you know who's in your belly and I don't! Hurry up, gender reveal party!!!

Does it help to know that Calvin broke my vagina and it will never look the same? I suppose that's true for anyone that has pushed out a kid though. Not that I stare at my crotch all the time or anything.
Steph625 likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Careful on the kegels. It's actually a bad thing to over-strengthen them, and kegels are only really necessary if they're really stretched and weakened (like right AFTER childbirth, vs. beforehand.) Squats are better for over-all strengthening of the pelvic floor.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I did them after DD but not before. it seemed to help with that "i feel like my insides are falling out" feeling. But I never really saw a reason to do them before. As the previous poster mentioned squats are great for the pelvic floor and for the last couple of months before the birth I did plenty of those

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search