Baby/Parenting Passions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By shen7
  • 2 Post By farmfourmama
  • 3 Post By dmreed32
  • 1 Post By Kalynas_Mom
  • 1 Post By mommyandwife08
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 3 Post By DaniB+3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 06:16 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
What are you passionate about when it comes to babies and parenting? Some people are so well-educated and passionate about car seat safety, others on breast feeding and lactation, anything from attachment parenting or cloth diapering to the decision about circumcising boys. So, what's your passion?

While I'm not 100% educated on it, I have a lot of friends who are and know where to find resources, I am pretty passionate about car seat safety and ERF. I'm also pretty passionate about breastfeeding, as I can use my own experiences to help others!

January 17th, 2013, 06:29 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
where do I start haha..

Carseat safety, cloth diapering, breast feeding, vaccinations, keeping baby in intact, baby wearing, natural birth, baby led weaning, co sleeping ..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Breastfeeding, co sleeping, car seat safety, baby wearing, vaxing. I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now.

January 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Car seat safety, breast feeding (with DD it had to be pumped breast milk, but I am big on it for nutrition and immunity), eating organic, particularly organic dairy.

January 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Overall, due to my previous career as a scientist, I get very passionate (maybe peeved is a better word) about all the misinformed scare mongering that moms have to deal with. I was worried my science training would go to waste when I was a SAHM but instead I use it all the time to evaluate claims and scares. The main things being fear of "chemicals", the supposed benefits of expensive items or services like amber teething necklaces or placenta encapsulation, the supposed need for special diets in pregnancy or breastfeeding (like going on crash elimination diets because your baby cries too much), etc etc etc. I also support many things like breastfeeding, cloth diapering, ERFing, attachment parenting, and others that are clearly good things based on current evidence. But I am maybe less passionate than true advocates because I try to stay skeptical and willing to consider any contrary arguments as well.

January 17th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran
I'm all for mamas making it work on their own with the support if their SO. There are so many people lately in my life having babies like its a fashion statement and then having grandma or grandpa at their every beck and call!!! If you and your husband don't figure it out... When it comes time to do something without help you are going to fall apart!!! Arghhhh SORRY rant for my day

I'm huge on socialization of children at a young age. Early childhood education and eye to eye patenting!
TeresaV and Kyla0709 like this.

January 17th, 2013, 07:51 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
I'm passionate about learning from all types of parenting and admitting there is no " perfect " way or plan. I'm not a crunchy mom but I can take things from everyone's thoughts, perceptions, and experiences. I don't judge what anyone does parenting wise ( outside of obvious exceptions ) and hope no one judges my choices either. :-)
edgeofelise, eshute and MamaSkunk like this.

January 17th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I was very pro attachment parenting before I had DD. Since having her i've really just decided that I have to do what feels right and what will work with her. I have had to alter my thoughts and perceptions of what i believed was "good" parenting and realized that every style of parenting has useful information to offer. I'm still pro-breastfeeding, babywearing etc. but just because it happened to work for me and our family. I think my passion could be explained as one for learning about everything I can and making the best decisions based on the information I gather.
edgeofelise likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalynas_Mom View Post
I was very pro attachment parenting before I had DD. Since having her i've really just decided that I have to do what feels right and what will work with her. I have had to alter my thoughts and perceptions of what i believed was "good" parenting and realized that every style of parenting has useful information to offer. I'm still pro-breastfeeding, babywearing etc. but just because it happened to work for me and our family. I think my passion could be explained as one for learning about everything I can and making the best decisions based on the information I gather.
Ditto this, exactly. I thought I'd be a super crunchy mom and I was a total snob about it until having my own baby kicked my butt. I learned early on to drop the attitude, try everything, and settle on what works best for everyone. We ended up BF until 2 and babywearing quite a bit, but my thoughts on feeding, sleep habits, and pretty much everything else have changed quite a bit. Every kid is different and you have to find your own groove.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm very big on carseat safety (particularly extended rearfacing and extended harnessing). I'm a big supporter of BF'ing, baby wearing, co-sleeping/bed sharing, and attachment parenting. Around where I live, I'm kind of a weird hippy mom...and I don't even cloth diaper! Imagine the looks and responses I would get if I started that

January 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I am passionate about natural birth or more so the womens right to be educated about her childbirth options. I am very passionate about women knowing that they can question things and that they can make an informed decision without being bullied into it. I do realize that natural birth is not everyones choice and I am okay with that. I just want women to know that they have that choice and that they can choose what tests they want dont want or whatever.

I am willing to educate people on what I know with my experience with cloth diapers. I am not an expert but I love them and its the same thing its not for everyone. But if people want to know I am more than willing to talk about it.

I am also big on not judging people for their decisions regarding their children. Unless they are in an unsafe situation its not my place. We are all doing all we can to raise our children and we all have different beliefs that evolve over time. I know I am a completely different parent than I was with my first.

January 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am big on safety as a whole...my husband calls it paranoid but whatever. I am also passionate about breastfeeding even though my body does not agree, I have yet to get past 6 weeks of 100% breastfeeding.
Although this is for older kids I am very passionate about homeschooling.
I also try to raise my family with nutritious and healthy food. We eat from local farms and we avoid processed foods. We get raw milk, grass fed meat, and eggs from the local farmers market and homemake most of our food.
mommy220 likes this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Rochelle
Recycling. Very big on educating children on this especially since in this day and age with everything being disposable, we're seriously trashing the planet. I have double the dishes bc I wash so many things to recycle. I'm pretty passionate about that.

Everything else, just staying as natural as possible. Sometimes it's not possible, but when it is, we try to stay on that side. I really don't like bringing it up a whole lot though bc it's too easy to come off as judgy.

We also really despise buying plastics and anything made in China or the like where laborers are treated so poorly.
January 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'd say I'm passionate about natural childbirth, breastfeeding, and cloth diapering. I also am big into following mommy instinct for everything. I tried to follow the "right" way of parenting with my oldest and felt consumed by what others thought. Because of that I failed at NCB and breastfeeding. I learned to let go the second time and figure out what worked for my family. Even with a terribly difficult baby, I was able to make it work without losing my sanity. My NCB was a big accomplishment for me, I breastfeeding for nearly 2 years, loved every minute of cloth diapering.
4hearts likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Super Mommy
I am passionate about breastfeeding and natural childbirth, I'd give anything to be able to experience it for myself (have had to be induced twice due to pre-e). We are also very into "organic" living. We make our own cleaners and garden and try to buy at least 80% of our groceries organic and local and we make mostly homemade food. But it's hard to be perfect so we just shoot for the 80/20 rule. Recycling is very important to us as well. I love the little bit of cloth diapering that I did, even though it was a bit difficult to manage living in an apartment (community washers) but we're in a house now so I'm really looking forward to it! Recently, I've become very interested in homeschool as my oldest is approaching kindergarten, it's something I've been thinking on for quite a while and am now really starting to look into it, it's so exciting!
4hearts likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very passionate about natural childbirth and using natural ways for pain relief instead of medication. I am also passionate about bedsharing and cosleeping. And (this is my gran comin out in me) Im very passionate about teaching kids manners and respect starting at a very young age. And I am a huge supporter of stay at home moms. We always get crap for "doing nothing etc" Or the "thats not a real job" So i try to break those stereotypes

January 18th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am really big on car seat safety.

I try to read as much as a I can about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vaxing, and such but pretty much I just feel that we will do what feels right and safe for our babies.
January 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm super passionate about being anti-circumcision. Unfortunately it's hard to be "passionate" without people becoming argumentative with you, but it is what it is. I have really strong feelings about it and I don't apologize for that.

Otherwise I am passionate about breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing and cloth diapering. I guess really I'm just passionate about doing what feels right and natural. I know that those things aren't for everyone but I DO think they'd happen more often if people followed their instincts instead of having so much counterpressure put on them by society. I have personally found that I'm a much different parent now than I was 10 years ago, and I think it has much to do with me caring a lot less about what other people think now that I'm older.

Lastly, even though I haven't personally experienced it I am passionate about natural childbirth. Sadly I've dealt with inductions and c-sections with both of my previous births but I am big believer in low-intervention birth nonetheless. I tried really hard for a natural VBAC with my son but sadly it didn't work out for me even with optimal conditions. It stinks that I'll never experience it personally but I am very supportive of moms who can do it!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 19th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran
Honestly? Nothing. I bring up my kids the way my husband and I feel is best. We do not judge nor preach to others about how to bring up their children. Everyone is different. What works for one won't work for another.
January 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Babywearing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search