BTDT Moms: What did you do to prevent stretch marks, and did it work?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT Moms: What did you do to prevent stretch marks, and did it work?

I've heard everything from nothing works to different moisturizers. What worked or didn't work for you? Did you already have any stretch marks prior to that pregnancy?
January 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Nothing will prevent them. You can moistureize to keep it from being itchy but it's pure genetics.

January 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used cocoa butter stretch mark cream. I didn't get ANY stretch marks on my belly. I did get a few on my boobs and a few on my hips (they are gone now) but I wasn't putting it there. Not sure if the cream really helped or not but I am putting it on everywhere this time just in case.

January 17th, 2013, 02:36 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also used cocoa butter stretch mark cream. And it worked for me lol it wasnt genetics for me cuz my mom and grandmas all got horrid stretchmarks.

January 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
I also used cocoa butter stretch mark cream. And it worked for me lol it wasnt genetics for me cuz my mom and grandmas all got horrid stretchmarks.
Better knock on wood

I have them on my boobs pretty badly but not from pregnancy.

January 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yea me too. I got stretchmarks on my boobs going from a flatchested gymnast and swimmer to huge boobs overnight when i stopped haha
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you're gonna get them, you're gonna get them. I tried everything and thought I was going to get away with it because my mom's belly looks like she got mauled by a bear; I thought for sure by 38 weeks if I didn't already have them they wouldn't show up. But nope, the first tiny ones appeared and grew and grew, and I now have quite a few. They completely faded to white within the first year and they're not as bad as I thought. Hoping not to add too many this time around, but at least now I know better than to spend a bunch of money on fancy creams. I use almond oil to help the itch but I know it won't actually prevent anything. And yes, I did already have a few on my hips from my teenage years.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 17th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's genetics. But that doesn't mean that because your mom got them, you'll get them, or if she didn't you won't. My mom never had any with all 4 of her pregnancies, and when I got them she asked me what I had done wrong. I used every kind of cocoa butter, vitamin E, etc cream there is, and I still got them.

They faded away so that they were mostly not noticeable after about a year. But they're coming back again. No new ones as of yet, but all my old faded ones are starting to turn pink. I still lotion my tummy all the time, but mostly just because of the itchiness.

January 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
genetics totally
thank god for me
my belly is smooth
i got some on my boobs after my son was born though because i stopped putting the cocoa butter on them and they got even more huge when my milk came in
i lotion butt, boobs and belly every morning right out of the shower with cocoa butter so i am silky smooth

January 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilachu View Post
i lotion butt, boobs and belly every morning right out of the shower with cocoa butter so i am silky smooth
Hahaha I do the same thing, and I usually lotion again before bed because my skin gets SO itchy!

January 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told to stay well hydrated. It is not the creams you place on the skin. Rather it is keeping the skin in good condition with lots of fluids.

January 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have good genetics and only managed a few tiny ones- one by my old belly button piercing and one on my hip. They came back with the second pregnancy but didn't get any worse. I did get a few on my boobs the first time when my milk came in, but they never came back the second time (my boobs didn't change size). I do moisturize daily because of dry skin but I don't think that made the difference
January 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Alex destroyed me. i used cocoa butter too. But I was 16 years old and not fully grown. And he was 8lbs. He gave me so many.

Then later on, when I got pregnant with Sebastian I figured "what the hey...he can just reuse alex's stretch marks"....yeah uhhh no...he decided to carry really high and make his own.

After this baby I am going to look into having a tuck to get rid of some of these.

January 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I totally agree with Lindsey, it's genetics. My Mom had them, I had them....there's nothing you can do to prevent them. I put a ton of lotion on every day after I shower, always have, so that didn't change for me. I did use a thick cream on my belly during pregnancy though. Afterwards however, I used Bio Oil and it helped lighten and diminish them very quickly, but they are still there!

January 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My mom had 4 kids and NO stretchmarks. I had none prior to pregnancy except a couple on my boobs. Now when I was pregnant with DD I used cocoa butter, bio-oil, and expensive cream from the maternity store. Ya it didn't work. I didn't get stretchmarks until the last week though but when they showed up....they weren't pretty. They did fade rather quickly but I have quite a few all over my lower belly (theyre just silvery gray now). I'm pretty convinced nothing really works. I was in decent shape, I drank water, did everything right and still got them.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
Prior to my first pregnancy, I didn't have any stretch marks at all. I used lotion and ended up with huge HUGE stretchmarks, the worst on my belly. My mom was so amazed b/c she had maybe one stretchmark and it was the tiniest thing ever.

January 18th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran
Nothing. I'm proud of stretch marks. Each pregnancy has given me a few new ones, I see them as being art work from my children before they were born!
MamaSkunk likes this.
January 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did nothing in particular, apricot kernel oil when I was itchy or dry and tight feeling as my belly got big, not very often. No stretch marks. I think it is all hereditary and no product can prevent it! I also know that they sometimes pop up in subsequent pregnancies even if you did not have them before. I am not too concerned either way. I am way past the age of belly T's and low rise jeans anyway

January 18th, 2013, 02:20 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used palmers cocoa butter stretch mark cream. I also used all sorts of vitamin e oils. I still got them. Mine really aren't that bad though. When I was pregnant with DD, I thought I had just one on the side near my hip. It was pink and I could see it but that was the only one...until she was born. At the hospital I noticed several more on my lower abdomen that weren't noticeable until my skin was no longer stretched out. I guess cause my stretch marks aren't usually red or purple or angry looking, they aren't as noticeable until after I give birth . They have all faded quickly though.

January 18th, 2013, 09:35 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used Coco Butter and this other stuff all over my belly area and I didnt get any but I didnt realize you could get them elsewhere so my thighs have some, they arent terrible but I see them and know they are there. I wonder if I had used coco butter on them there would it have prevented them or it didnt matter. In the end as much as I hate them my Drakey was worth it and I earned those so Im proud. Im using baby oil this time all over though just in case it helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search