Feeling Overwhelmed

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With the idea of registering for stuff for the baby. Seriously. I wish my mom lived closer, so she could help me out. I have no idea how to start, or where to start. And people are wanting to start scheduling baby showers, so that means we need to have registries.

Any advice? Do I just walk into Target or Babies R Us and start scanning things? I suck at this registering for things. For my wedding, my mom took me when I was visiting and she made me register for stuff, since I'm too rational and stingy and I think "Oh wow, that costs "x" amount of money, I don't have "x" amount." Totally forgetting that *I'm* not the one spending the money...

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 17th, 2013, 07:30 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im just gonna scan whatever i like on saturday and if i get the more expensive stuff great...if not...no biggie. Nice about babies r us tho....is someone can check your registry online and have it shipped to your house so even if they are far away it makes gifting easy
beatlechicksteph likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's good to know about Babies R Us, since 99% of everyone we know lives out of state. I think I just need to go to a store and start scanning things. And I need to convince DH to go with me. Or my good friend down here. I don't want to go alone.
MamaSkunk likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Walmart.com also has the option to ship to you. I am cheap and am always afraid to ask people to go to Babies R Us. I actually feel bad asking for anything hahaha. Last time I registered at Target I think.

January 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I registered at target this time... BRU is way too expensive for me. I feel bad asking people to spend that kind of money.

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im registering at both Target and Babies R Us.

January 17th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was feeling overwhelmed too. There are lots of "must have" registry lists online. This is one I found to be pretty helpful!
Naptime Tales: Must Have Baby Registry Items
I plan on registering for big items at BabiesRus and diapers/supplies at Walmart.
January 18th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Veteran
Def prioritize what baby needs and what you want. It all comes down to preference. With 1st DS I did not get a bassinet since we got a pack n play, I didn't see the need for both in our home but some moms do. I also decided not to ask or get a bedding set, they are cute but most of the stuff cant go in the crib anyway (my pediatrician says no to the bumper even) but thats just my preference. That's just two examples :0).

We also got a used swing and DS preferred the vibrating bouncy seat and hated the swing so keep in mind baby will have preferences too. We tried to buy used if we didn't get it at the shower, it's cheaper and I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on a swing that was never really used. Once upon a child is a great store if you have one around. Just do lots of research whether new or used for reviews and recalls. Also google it, I know there are several lists out there that you can use as a guide as to what to buy or ask for. I found those helpful to get me started and I just went from their on my own opinion

Oh and usually if you don't get an item(s) on your registry you can get a discount if you buy it later. Now this was 3 years ago when I did this but I doubt that's changed and that was at BRU. And yep no matter where you go you just walk around and scan stuff.

January 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you take a BTDT parent with you. I was clueless when registering. After 2 kids, I feel like I know what gets used and what is just nice in the advertisements.

January 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Honestly you are better taking someone closer in age to you who has kids
You have to remember your mom hasn't had a baby in 20/30 years
Things have changed A LOT!
I took my cousin who had two kids after DH and I went through and registered for stuff.
So glad I did
We did Target and Babies R Us but as a consumer babies r us is EXPENSIVE and their return policy is CRAP

also dont feel bad after registering at babies r us i sat in the car with DH and balled my eyes because I was so overwhelmed. Its natural.

Last edited by hilachu; January 18th, 2013 at 06:26 AM.
January 18th, 2013, 06:49 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amazon is an easy online registry also. And people can ship to your home. If you really wanted to have your mom help (some things are just more special with mom) you could set up a phone date and go on websites at the same time and look. Not the same, I know but way she could be involved.

January 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used amazon. It was super easy and a lot of the items over $25 have free shipping, plus amazon usually has some of the best deals. What I did was go to stores like target and BRU and even some boutique shops, look at the stuff in person, and then register on amazon for the things I really wanted. Don't worry about how much money people will be spending; it's their choice. A lot of people will just get you a cute outfit (seriously, SO MANY newborn onesies!) and other stuff that isn't on your registry anyway. Just try to make sure there's a wide range of prices on there so people can spend what they're comfortable with. And don't worry too much about non-essentials like the swing and the bouncer and stuff. Babies actually don't NEED very much stuff. And they do all have their own personalities. This time around we're waiting on all the extras until we get to know the kid. Maybe we'll luck out and the baby will actually want to sleep in the crib!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 18th, 2013, 10:00 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Its so overwhelming! I had never registered before my 3rd child. It was a lot of fun. I scanned what I knew I needed and a few wants. Keep in mind too some people may not even buy off the registry. Which is so annoying especially when you are in need of some of the items on there.

January 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!! Y'all have been a HUGE help! I talked to DH and he's not 100% interested in going to register, but he doesn't want me to count him out yet. I'm going to talk to him again, when he's less stressed about work, before I extend the invitation to my friend to go have a girls' day to work on my registry! *hugs*

January 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Regular
I'm also feeling a bit overwhelmed thinking about a registry and just everything we will need for baby. I was just looking at/researching car seats and oh my goodness there's just too much to choose from! Oh and I will be putting some of the larger items on the list. Maybe family members will go in together for the purchase or some will get us gift cards. As overwhelming as it all is I am so excited. It will just be a fun experience to register and then to have family and friends together for the shower!
January 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd definitely take a girlfriend over my DH! Not saying yours wouldn't be fun to go with but I know mine would be a total drag and definitely not know what or why we need specific items. I registered at BabiesR us with DD but wish I would have done something like Amazon.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My BFF and I are going to finish my registries tomorrow. I'm so excited. To make things even better, she just found out she's pregnant with her first baby and due in September. DH hates shopping. He got so impatient when we did our wedding registry, so I'd rather not feel rushed. BRU has a registry checklist to help you make sure you have everything. Of course, many of the items they suggest are not necessary, so you can go through and decide what you need.

January 19th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran
I wish baby showers were the done thing over here - it would be so much cheaper! We get gifts once the baby is born off close family and friends, but usually clothes or toys, you certainly don't get the cot and pushchair bought.
January 19th, 2013, 08:37 AM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
Honestly with my son. DH and I had a blast. DH got to be in charge of the scanner and what we did was give people options we did all price points. It's alot of fun. DH felt really specially scanning things. Helps make then feeling apart of the pregnancy.

January 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH is actually looking forward to going now. He actually suggested we go today. I think he's feeling more into it now that we have been 100% confirmed we're having a boy, and he really wants to have a say in what we register for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search