OT: Beautifully touching story (long)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was reading the paper this morning and I came across an obituary that was so wonderfully sweet, I couldn't resist posting it. I know this forum is about birth and creating life...but this story is an example of what can come after that. You just don't hear stories like this anymore. Fair warning, this story made me cry (in a good way)!

Michael Augustino Ciccia

Husband, great-grandfather, lover of fresh figs. Born Aug. 15th, 1936 in Cinquefrondi, Italy. Died Nov. 24th, 2012, in Guelph, Ont. of kidney failure, age 76.

Michael Augustino Ciccia was born on a small farm in Cinquefrondi (Five Leaves) in the agrarian south of Italy in 1936. It was there, when he was 7 years old, that he met the love of his life.
One day, while Angelina Paonne was fetching water, Mike saw her through the long reeds and knew she was the only one for him.
They played and worked with all the other kids from neighbouring farms until Mike's family decided to sell their plot of land and leave for Canada, hoping for a better life.
Only 12, Mike was heartbroken that he would have to leave Angelina, his campagni di anima. He vowed he would send for her from the new country when he was 18, giving her a promise ring made of braided grass as a reminder.
Then, a week before they were to leave, tragedy struck the family. Mike's father, Salvatore, who was travelling to Sicily to finalize the paperwork, developed appendicitis and died on the train.
With no father and no farm, his widow Annunziata and their seven children had no choice but to leave for Canada.
They settled in Guelph, Ont., and Annunziata worked at a foundry. Being the eldest boy, Mike stayed in school for only a short time before he quit to help put food on the table.
He collected coal from the trains that passed along the tracks to the foundry, then worked as a casket maker and an electrician's assistant before becoming a long-time employee of home insulation firm Owens Corning.
Six years later, Mike fulfilled his promise and sent a letter to Angelina asking for her hand in marriage.
She had many suitors courting her and her family, including one with property who was well off. But she would not give the others the slightest consideration, and embarked alone, at 18 and not speaking a word of English, to a far-off land to be with her compagni di anima.
They married in Canada and had five children, their own cinque frondi.
Mike taught his children to laugh and love, and that family always comes before all else. Always. That a person should be judged by their actions, not by their words. That no person was better than we were, and that we were no better than anyone else. He believed that friends, colleagues, casual acquaintances, and strangers, regardless of title or wealth, should all be treated with dignity and respect.
After a long illness, Mike chose to die at home with his own sense of dignity, surrounded by his loving family.
On the day of his funeral, his granddaughter had two grass rings made: one to place in his casket, and the other to give to Angelina to hold onto until they meet again.

January 18th, 2013, 05:00 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow. What a beautiful story!
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
January 18th, 2013, 05:25 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
that last sentence made me cry
so sweet!

January 18th, 2013, 05:42 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Really beautiful. It seems to me that people of that generation knew how to love so fiercely, in a way that seems to have gone by the wayside today.

January 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran
That was beautiful

January 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh that made me tear up too. My gpa died at a young age and my gran never remarried and held onto his wedding ring til the day she died 55 years after his death.

January 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran
That is beautiful.
January 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That was so beautiful!

January 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Really beautiful. It seems to me that people of that generation knew how to love so fiercely, in a way that seems to have gone by the wayside today.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Beautiful story.

January 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that was truly amazing. So romantic that he still wanted her and that she still wanted him after 6 years.

January 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
What a wonderful love story!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search