Kids Sharing a Room

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalynas_Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Anyone's kids share a room?

Right now we won't be doing any kind of nursery because baby will be in our room. We have two bedrooms in our place. The master bedroom (which is huge) and DDs room which is on the smaller side. I'm thinking that in 2 years or so we'll move DD and her brother into the master bedroom and they'll share and DH and I will take DDs room. We won't be able to move for probably 3-5 years (our mortgage is transferable but money wise we can't afford a bigger place until then). I feel bad though that DD who will be older at that time is going to have to share her room with her little brother. The master is VERY large and can definitely be separated using maybe a lengthwise curtain or something like that but i'm not sure if it will be necessary. What are your thoughts about siblings of different genders sharing a room?

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I will not have DD sharing rooms but we have 5 bedrooms so i have the option to not have to worry about it.
Personally Im not crazy about siblings of opposite gender sharing rooms as I had to share with my brother growing up and it was AWFUL!!! He would wake me up. Get into my stuff and I had no privacy of my own. Trying to get dressed was a challenge. I always used to yell and scream at my mom over it. She always maintained we would move "soon". Well...."soon" never came. Girls sharing or boys sharing isnt bad. But opposite genders sharing a room is a disaster in the making from my own experience.

January 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Eek! Not good haha Housing in Toronto is brutally expensive. We paid just over 300K for our two bedroom CONDO. And that was when the market dropped and we got a great deal. A 5 bedroom house is pretty much non-existent around here unless you have a couple of million.
I guess a solution would be to keep her brother in our room until we can find a bigger place (I better get on the job hunt in the next couple of years!)

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes!! We live in Minnesota n our single home 5 bed 2 bath that had been completely updated with a huge yard and garage cost under 200 grand. We did buy during the housing slump tho so we got an insanely good deal. But im glad I didnt spend that kind of money!

I wonder if moving outside of toronto to a suburb would be a less expensive option maybe?

January 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son and daughter share a room right now. They don't seem to care at all, lol. I know it isn't a permanent thing. In a couple years I would like to move this boy in with my other son and get Jocelyn her own room, but we just can't afford to move yet! But that is the goal. For now it is working just fine

January 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
My boys shared a room until last year when we moved to a bigger house. BUT, then we put them back together in the same room once we conceived so the baby will have a room. Their rooms are both small, and our room is bigger, so we've considered putting the boys in our room and DH & I in theirs. It would also put us closer to the baby. But there are other reasons why that just won't work right now. And really, they seem to like being in the same room better, anyway. For now at least. Once they get older we may have to look into other options.
January 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
My youngest and this baby will share a room for a few years. I felt it was only right to have our oldest still have her own room. Once we either add above our garage or finish our basement which will add another room then we will separate all of them to their own rooms.

January 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am facing this dilema also. I am not sure the gender yet but we only have a 2 bedroom house. We plan to keep the baby in our room for the first year at least and then we hope that we will have been able to either add on to the upstairs (it would be easy to do in this house) or move. It is stressing me out because I want to decorate a nursery (even though Maddie never used her's for a long time)!

January 18th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This baby will be sharing a room with his big sister until we find a bigger house. We have a 3br rental but the third bedroom is not heated and has the only grounded electrical outlets in the house besides the kitchen so it has to be the office. It is a converted garage with a tile floor and lots of weird ancient built ins, sooooo not a real bedroom!! The 2 real bedrooms are both small. The whole place is 1100 sq ft or so.

We are currently house hunting but this is the kind of area where $500k buys a 2br in bad condition. We would actually love to find a fixer upper for $500-700k and add on. We want at least 3 good sized bedrooms plus a bonus room. The California coast is not a place for cheap housing and we are very picky on staying in this neighborhood because my parents live here and it is a beautiful place to be. Actually the stuff closer to DH's work is even more expensive bc it is in the middle of Silicon Valley, it is cheaper here!!

We could also pay more per month and DH just got promoted and will get a significant raise so we could definitely afford more house. We went for this small rental bc it is an a PERFECT location, we can walk to my parents and have a lovely playground and park across the street. If only our landlords would sell us this place... (they won't, I asked )

January 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I think opposite genders sharing is okay while they are still young. My girls share a room even though we have a 4 bedroom house and could keep them separate. The plan is to have them keep sharing because they are 2 years apart and this baby will be 3 years younger than Abri.
January 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
If we have another boy, then yes they will share a room. I'd love to be able to have a guest bedroom/office in our 3 bedroom home. If we have a girl, then I don't think they will share a room, but nothing is set in stone!

January 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This baby will be in our room for the foreseeable future. I desperately want out of the city and I'm hoping we can find a 3 bedroom somewhere, ANYWHERE with lots of access to nature. I can't stand all this pavement and noise. I'm not opposed to them sharing a room while they're little even though they're opposite sex, but I don't want one waking the other up so I hope they can have their own rooms when we move. Still, I'd choose another two bedroom in a heartbeat if we had enough outdoor space and the location was right.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
My twins share a room but they like it that way so no worries there. At first the new baby will be in our room while I'm EBFing, but once he/she gets older Miles will share his room with him/her. I don't see any reason for two little kids so close in age to have separate rooms unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 19th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Veteran
My two girls are 12 and 5 and they share a bedroom, as do all my boys (6 kids squished into the biggest bedroom is really not fun). We are desperate to move house but can't find anything suitable for us in our budget, within the area. I do not want to move too far as I want the children to stay at the same school, because firstly I work there and secondly it's a fantastic school.
January 19th, 2013, 05:15 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This baby and Kiefer will share a room once baby is sleeping through the night, regardless of baby's gender. We have 3 bedrooms and are just renting right now. Eventually, we will be buying a home (hopefully in the next 3-4 years) and one of our requirements will be 4 bedrooms so everyone can have their own space. Around here, you can easily get a 4 bedroom/3 bathroom for 200K.

January 19th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I currently have two boys. Each have their own rooms, but tend to sleep together on weekends. They even share the same bed (Full size) and love it. In the summer, they want to sleep in the rec room together. They HAVE their own rooms, although they chose to share. This child will have her/his own room as well just due to our house having four rooms. I can forsee all three kids having sleepovers in one room

January 19th, 2013, 06:58 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Ugh, this is a battle at our condo.. Which by the way is a 2 bedroom, 850 sqft shack haha..

My girls share the master bedroom, they fight like mad! I'm ready for them to have their own rooms..

Nolan sleeps with us, and the baby will sleep with us also

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Rochelle
I think you gotta do what ya gotta do. If it makes you feel better to switch rooms with them so they have more space then go for it! I think a room that's half girl and half boy would be kinda cool temporarily.

We're going to have to put all 4 of ours in our master BR at some point when we add on to the house. It will be temporary but could take a couple yrs. They'll just have to find a way to deal. Once the renovating is done, they will have really big rooms so it's a small sacrifice.
January 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for sharing all your opinions and situations! I do have two brothers and a sister but I was adopted when I was 7 days old so I grew up an only child and never had to deal with anything related to siblings, nor did I ever have to share a room with anyone.

I think we'll just see what happens in the next couple of years. DH and I haven't had our own room for a VERY long time (because DD considers it her room as well) and the thought of us having our own space at some point really appeals to me haha DD will be turning 5 the year her brother is born in a couple of years will be close to 7......so thats a 2 year old and 7 year old together. If she doesn't seem to mind I think we'll go for it. Eventually if a 3 bedroom at a good price becomes available I think i'd like to jump on it just so we have more space but in the end money will be the deciding factor.
4hearts likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search