Anyone else have a Yorkie or an equally energetic dog?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How does your wild child respond to children/babies?
January 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a little 1 1/2 year old Pompoo (Pomeranian/poodle mix) and he has sooooo much energy, he looks a lot like a Pomeranian and barks like one too lol, he doesn't like kids much and when I say he doesn't like them I mean he doesn't pay attention to them lol he just minds his own business. My son was kinda rough with him when we first got it him so I think he's traumatized and just stays away, but he's good with other little kids, he doesn't bite or acts rough with them. He just avoids them.

January 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Super Mommy
I have a pitbull who is about a year and a half and he rocks with our boys, surprisingly gentle for what people typically consider for his breed. He never bites and plays so nice with my boys. We got him when he was 8 weeks old, my youngest was about 2 1/2 so he mostly got the concept of being nice to the puppy.
MamaSkunk likes this.
January 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Our yorkie is good with kids, but he's never been around a baby. I think he'll be fine, but he will get jealous.
January 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also have a pitbull who is our daughters dog and hes the best with her. Only my german shepherd/border collie cross isnt the craziest about her...and he just tries to stay away from her. And we also have a purebred american bulldog who thinks my daughter is the best thing since ever.

January 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
In fact heres a pic of DDs pitbull with a tiara jammed unceremoniously on his head....he just laid there like...ok cool.

Gen88 likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I lived with my mom for about a year when DD was very little. She has a welsh springer spaniel (who is VERY hyper and LOUD). She's been my dog since I was 14 so she's pretty old now. Very docile, super cuddly and loving, never hurt a fly, never taken a nip at someone etc. Anyways she's always adored DD (as you can see by the pics).....but one day (when DD was 3.5) not sure why, she snapped at her. And bit her....on the face. If you would have told me that my dog would have ever done that I would have laughed. I'm a bit more wary now, although i'm sure DD did something that really pissed her off. Overall though that's been the one and only incident (never happened before and never happened after).

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 18th, 2013, 03:16 PM
As long as you know your dogs warning signals you should be fine...no dog ever attacks unprovoked. Dogs always show warning signs through body language. You can even google lists of these warning body language. But alot of time if a dog is panting excessively or trying to move away....or licking their feet....tail tucked etc are all signs that the dog is nervous or upset. And its these same warning signals you should always watch your dog for around children to prevent dog bites as even the most docile breed if they are pinched or prodded enough or had their space invaded too much for the dogs comfort level can snap.
Kyla0709 likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I never left my dogs alone within reach if the baby (in the swing, bouncy, etc). They are really good dogs, but have snapped at the girls before. The dogs mostly ignored the girls in the baby stage, but our Boston mix learned quickly that toddlers have tasty food that gets dropped often. She now sleeps in the beds with the girls at night. My parents have a hyper large dog about the size of a husky. She is surprisingly gentle with babies, but gets a little too excited when they start walking. She pretty much knocks the girls down when we go over there. As sweet as she is, we know to keep the kids away from her tail. If someone accidentally steps on it, she will snarl and lunge
January 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's a pic of my baby Ziggy

MamaSkunk likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Gen, your dog is so cute!!
Here's mine:
January 18th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you Amy, I love him to pieces I love your doggie, I've always wanted a Yorkie! What's his name?

January 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
His name is Mr. Big.
navywifey2003 likes this.
January 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww I love that name. My best friend is getting a puppy this Sunday (a miniature pinscher) and she's naming him Mr Biggs. She says she's gonna call him biggie smalls lol

January 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Oh my gosh my mom has a min pin and even tho they are super cute they are all wayy high energy. She will jump at the door repeatedly without stopping like 4 foot in the air for 45 minutes if she so much as hears a strange noise....and all min pins Ive ever met are crazy like that Ugh. Hahha i love cute little fluffy dogs but only if they are lazy and dont yap. Guess thats why i got my big babies...but they get dressed up and pampered too lmao i have tons of clothes for my dogs.
Gen88 likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I love your Yorkie! I have one named "Chewie" and he's usually pretty good around older kids (just kinda ignores them or plays with them) but I think he's gonna get jealous of a baby....especially since he is pretty smothered now...
January 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM
First time mommy :)
I have a very very energetic German Shepherd named Frank and he is a strange dog. When it comes to people he is very very skeptical. He ONLY trusts my husband and I. He takes at least a couple of days to warm up to people. But he was around a newborn and was very interested. He just laid down right next to her, tail wagging and head cocking at every little noise she made. And he has been around my 3yo nephew many times and he treats him like a puppy. Tail is always up and wagging, always nudging him with his nose. He seems child friendly, but does NOT care much for adults! I'm a little worried he will be overprotective of our son.
MamaSkunk likes this.
January 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Super Mommy
As long as we're sharing pictures... I love this mug!

MamaSkunk likes this.
January 19th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Oh Kyla your pittie is so cute!

January 19th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you! So is your little guy! I love their huge noggins!
MamaSkunk likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search