vehicles

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you considering a bigger car with baby on the way? For moms with minivans or bigger, when did you move up to a bigger vehicle? Anyone happily have 2-3 carseats in a regular 4 door car?

We have a Prius and it is perfect with just M. The hatchback makes a nice changing area on the go. We can definitely get 2 carseats back there, but will probably have to turn M FFing due to limited space behind the driver's side (she will be 2 years old and is almost 30lbs and 36" so not a big deal IMO - and DH and I are both tall and need the leg room when driving so our knees don't hit the steering wheel lol). It will start to feel a bit crowded and less cargo space but it is doable. For #3 we would/will need to size up though!

January 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We are in the middle of a "new" car search. Ours is old and while we could probably fit all three kiddos in the back, we've pretty much driven it into the ground. We've looked into cars and minivans, but so far we're pretty undecided. My sister has a Malibu with two carseats in the back, and it has plenty of room. I'd love to find something like that. We'd have a carseat, booster seat, and then my 9 year-old, so even if they all fit we'd have to have a large trunk for any actual storage during travel. Which is why we haven't decided against a minivan just yet either.
January 20th, 2013, 04:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I switched from a mid size SUV (MDX) to a minivan this summer because we knew we would start TTC in the fall. We could have fit 3 carseats in the MDX but then no one else could ride with us. My parents live down the street and we constantly ride together for stuff. I swore I'd never drive a minivan, but it's pretty nice. It's going to be a lot easier with automatic doors getting 3 kids in the car.

My friend drives a Nissan Versa which is pretty compact and still fits 3 carseats in the back
January 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO has a little two door Toyota Solara and I have a four door Isuzu Rodeo. We'll be using my car any time we go somewhere all 4 of us, but we will have a base in his car for baby's seat as well as the convertible we already have for DD..

#1, 4, 5, 7
January 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're stopping at 2 kids anyways, so we don't exactly need a bigger car, but we do need another car. Right now we have a 2 door hatchback. It's a great fun car, but SO impractical with kids. It's not terrible right now since Fiona is old enough to get in and out of her booster seat by herself. But once the baby comes, I can't imagine lugging a car seat in and out of that thing. Plus, it's my husband's commuter car anyways. I don't have a car right now, but since we live at home if I ever really need a car, I borrow my dad's. But he's not crazy about that situation and prefers that I don't use it unless I absolutely have to. I really really want my own car, but I just don't think that's something we can afford right now. My ideal car would be a diesel Jetta Sportwagen. Great gas mileage, tons of room in the back, enough seats for the family.

Isn't it sad that my dream car is a station wagon? lol

January 20th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an accord with ds1 & for awhile with ds2. Then we wanted more space because we traveled so much in our car so we got a 3rd row CUV and it worked well with the two and even when ds3 was born. However, when we found out we were pregnant again dh went hunting. We've used the third row several times, but it left us with no trunk space & it had very little leg room for our tall 9 yr old. So we've already bought an expedition. I love the space, but it is huge to drive. It'll be a good vehicle to travel in though since we still have plenty of space for luggage and car seats, etc.

January 20th, 2013, 04:51 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Ford Escape, which was great for one kid, but I am not thrilled with it for 2. I will have to choose which of my kids is the safest in the middle and which is more at risk sitting next to the door. Kills me to have to do that. It also will probably not hold all of the stuff we will need if we travel as a family of 4. DH's Scion Tc was not big enough for one baby. We had to push the passenger's seat all the way forward to be able to fit the infant seat and I had to squeeze into the back behind the driver's seat if we all went somewhere in that clown car together. It is probably only a matter of time until I will HAVE to get a new car. My Escape has almost 120,000 miles on it and I drive a lot for work. I really, really want a Buick Enclave, but they are quite pricey and with buying a new house, I'm not sure if we will be able to swing it. I guess we'll see...

January 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We went from a car to a mini-van when #4 was born. It wasn't fun stuffing three carseats in the back of a Ford Contour, but we had no choice so we managed. When #6 was born we upgraded to a big Suburban. We moved up to a 15-passenger van when we had #7 because it was cheap and too big rather than "just right".

We are thinking under no circumstances whatsoever will we EVER need to go bigger than that.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 20th, 2013, 05:46 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Ford Fusion and will be keeping it. It fits all 3 carseats in the backseat perfectly and it seriously has a huge trunk. Plus, I just got it 2-3 years ago and I freaking love everything about it so I'm keeping it for awhile. DF, however, is on the search for a new vehicle. He currently drives an F-150. It's ok for the 4 of us but we already choose not to take it most places so I can't imagine adding another baby into it. He is debating between and Explorer or something in the Jeep family. This is our last so we don't necessarily need a 3rd row, just a wide enough backseat to fit 3 carseats and plenty of cargo space for traveling.

January 20th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We will be getting a mini van... I am not a mini van momma but as much I try to tell DH a SUV with 3rd row will work he sadly reminds me that with our lifestyle we travel a lot and MPG being very important a mini van makes the most sense.

January 20th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a Pontiac G8. I can fit 3 RFing carseats in the backseat with plenty of room for my 6'2" DH to sit in either front seat and I have fit 2 BOB strollers in the trunk before too. I honestly prefer not to fit more people most of the time because picking up my family from the airport is a 40 mile round trip. LOL! This way any time someone visits, they have to rent a car which makes things much easier on me.

But my car is almost paid off and we rented a GMC Acadia to visit FIL over Christmas...it's a great practical car. My car can't drive in conditions under 40 degrees (not that it's an issue in San Diego, but going up to the snow is impossible) and it's really low to the ground. We call it The Diva. So it'd be nice to have one car that's more versatile. DH is looking at Buicks and Lincolns.
January 20th, 2013, 06:53 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are looking a bigger SUV for me. I currently have an Element, which I love and fits island life well, but it only has 4 seats total. Again, here on Maui that is perfectly fine, but I know when I move home that is not going to cut. Looking at Honda Pilot and the Lexus 8 seater. We were just talking this morning that we would most likely sell our car here since they are in demand and just buy new on mainland cause it would be totally less expensive. DH is also looking at a new sedan for himself. He currently has a Toyota solara and its fine...mine is the family car anyways, and we really like the new Lexus sedans. Not sure if we want two car payments though, so I would get my SUV first.

*A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my super fantastic siggy!!*

January 20th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
We will be getting a mini van... I am not a mini van momma but as much I try to tell DH a SUV with 3rd row will work he sadly reminds me that with our lifestyle we travel a lot and MPG being very important a mini van makes the most sense.
I just Googled minivan gas mileage and it looks like they get pretty similar MPGs to the smaller SUVs. The ones we're looking at like the Acadia or the Traverse (I don't know what the Buick or Lincoln ones are called...I refuse to look at them!) get about the same as the minivan list I looked at. The only reason I was willing to look at a new car was because I wouldn't lose out on gas mileage! I have a 400hp V8 and moving to a larger car with a smaller engine evens it out.
January 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We had a Camry when DS was born. We got a Toyota Highlander about a year ago. It has the third row seat and we love it.

January 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran
I had a 3/4 ton 4 door chev. With the three kids I could fit the seats across no problem. But their was ZERO room for storage! Closest town Is an hour away! We are pretty secluded! This June right before my son turned one we got a Yukon XL and I freaking LOVE IT! I know this is not a practical vehicle for alot of you from the city in nicer climates! But we live on gravel roads, today it's -42 C with the windchill! And we travel alot!! I absolutely love the room we have! And now that we will have 4 kids we can still take a few kids with us! As carpooling happens alot out here with friend! Swapping kids etc! The other great part is the one we hit was about 10 years old but didn't even have 60,000 Kms on it! Had an elderly couple who owned it! Paid a low cash price! So no payments!

January 21st, 2013, 08:13 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
We have a mini van. I love it. Between everything my kids do, we need the space.

Hockey, roller derby, soccer, etc.. it works for us..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
We have never had a mini van or anything large like that and had 2 car seats for a while. (for a while we actually had a 2 door hatchback!) Now, both of my older kids are out of car seats, but when baby comes it will be a tight fit to squeeze a carseat in the middle. I am not sure what we will do... But IMO 2 carseats in a 4 door is totally do-able!

January 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
We just got a new, bigger car. We need all the space we can get. We'll have 3 in car seats.
January 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We currently have a Saturn SC2...which we had before DD which is super small and sporty. DDs carseat barely fits in it and it did not fit when she was rear facing. We also have a Explorer which I love but its an older SUV and while it gets insanely good gas mileage for a big older SUV(25 mpg hwy) and while the SUV will fit new baby we are looking to trade the saturn for a new car. Most likely a newer SUV as that fits with our family lifestyle more. And DH and I both are not fans of minivans at all. And when we go out west DH likes to drive up in the mountains (hes managed to take our car places that shocked people in huge jacked up trucks cuz DH learned to drive on mountain roads lol) But I cant see DH taking a minivan up mountain roads.....not that i could or would ever make him drive one :/

January 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
we drive up mountains all the time, and I live next to the heart of the rockies.. It is all on how you drive, my husband is a professional driver. I would trust a van/suv over a little car here, in CO

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search