Breastfeeding

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran
I am keep going back and forth as to rather I want to breastfeed or not. I tried with my daughter, but gave up after about a week. I think my main problem then was I was not well educated on breastfeeding, and I just gave up way too easily. This time around if I do decided to do it I want to be prepared. So, for the btdt moms who have breastfed, do you have any tips, advice, books, websites I and FTM's can check out.

I do plan on taking a breastfeeding class at the hospital.

Thank you!!

January 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Drink tons of water and you must be completely relaxed. Meditate do whatever you gotta do to get to your happy place and it will go way more smoothly. Breastfeed asap after birth. That is all I got for now.
mommyandwife08 and D&K's_mama like this.

January 21st, 2013, 12:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Kellymom.com is an amazing site with so much different information. My best advice is if you truly want to be successful is to not have bottles or formula in the house. If you need it you can always get it later. It's also important to remember that you are both learning. And it takes about 6 weeks before it really gets easy. You can do this!

January 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran
My only advice is to not give in to pressure.
January 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My best advice is to be a lazy naked hippie about it in those early weeks keep the boobs aired out and not constricted at all, lots of skin-to-skin cuddles with baby, and just lie around and rest as much as humanly possible, it should be your #1 priority also I found it extremely helpful to figure out a good sidelying position, using pillows etc, because then I could actually sleep while breastfeeding and that was AWESOME. Good luck and def check out kellymom!!!!

January 21st, 2013, 01:41 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would just say to keep telling yourself to stick through it and get support from a lactation consultant after birth and check in with her. I also used kellymom. It seemed so hard in the beginning, I was tired, she had a horrible latch and it took dh and myself like 15 minutes to get her latched. I just stuck through it even though it was so so hard and then it was like soooooooo easy until she stopped at close to 2 years old. I can see why you are hesitant because you never experienced the easy, only the hard. I promise, it does get easier just take the beginning one day at a time. I also did not have any formula in the house at all and so it helped me stay determined. I am hoping this one does not have as many latching issues. I remember the first night in the hospital the nurse kept me up all night trying to get her to feed. I don't think she even did until the next day but they never told me I should supplement.

January 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
i am right there with you... the longest i have ever BF'd was for 6 weeks... i am sooooo determined this time to BF for a long time. I am reading lots of books and educating myself on EVERYTHING breastfeeding!!!!

January 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Water, Water, Water. The amount of fluid you need is insane. I remember downing a 48 oz glass every time we nursed, which in the beginning was pretty much non-stop.

It helped me to realize that my only job those first couple of weeks is to sleep when I can and feed the baby. That is it. I wasn't going to get laundry done, or the dishes done and or even get dinner cooked. I was lucky to eat while it was still tepid. In the end, it is so worth it. Bourne has had some minor colds this winter and a couple of ear infections last year and that is it for sickness. When he was about 7 months old my husband and I both got terrible, horrid upper respitory infections that hung on for 6 weeks. B did not even get a sniffle because he had all the antibodies from me. That was well worth all the pain and lack of sleep.

Kat.
wildchihuahua and rcjh12 like this.
January 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree on the immunities alone being worth it. DD has never had an ear infection and has only been to the doctor once with an actual sickness. It really does keep the yucky stuff to a minimum!

Get yourself a tube of good lanolin and apply that after you nurse, every single time. You can also put a few drops of breast milk on your nipples to keep them from getting cracked and ouchy. The first few weeks are really tough, but laying around the house as much as possible and just focusing on feeding the baby really is all you need to be doing. It feels insane. I cried a lot just from doubting that I was doing it right because I was literally nursing around the clock. But it really does get better. By 3 months I was walking around shopping at old navy while nursing with one hand, no big deal. You can do it!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 21st, 2013, 03:06 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ditto everything the previous ladies said (which is why I liked all their comments...lol). Breastfeeding is a labor of love, but very much worth it if it is important to you. Good luck!

January 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Every mother should nurse, nursing is by the far the best thing for baby. I'm still nursing my 2 year old.

My favorite book is "So Thats What They Are For", for good book..
best website Kellymom.com
water water is what you drink
skin to skin asap!

Do not give in to anyone telling you, you should stop. You need to remove all negative thoughts from your mind about nursing. Remember you and your baby are both learning to nurse, there for you need to have patients for doing it.

Find a LC, right away!
D&K's_mama likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM
Super Mommy
i breastfed my son for 6 months (had to supplement w/ formula tho) but i was very naive the first time...kind of went in thinking 'this is natural, i dont need anyones help' well this time around i am completely determined to exclusively breast feed. my advice is to do your research and study up on it. breastfeeding is hard work. but it's so worth it. get a nice boppy pillow and breastfeed as often as baby wants. also look for support groups online or in person. there are so many helpful resources out there, i just wish i had known about them long ago!
January 21st, 2013, 03:58 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm also a huge fan of kellymom.com. My best advice is to read up on cluster feeding. It starts around the 2nd or 3rd day. It seriously feels like baby wants to nurse all the freaking time. It is NORMAL. Do not try to get baby on a feeding schedule, especially within the first 12 weeks. When the baby cluster feeds, that signals your body to increase milk production to keep up with your growing baby. Nursing on demand is best to make sure you have a good milk supply. If you decide to let baby have a bottle, you need to pump to make up for that missed nursing session. I failed miserably with my first, but I was determined to EBF my second. I did not have a single sample of formula in my house to make sure I would not be tempted.
edgeofelise and Purrrrrrr like this.
January 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran
Thank you so much for all the advice!! I really want to breastfeed longer this time, so I am going to do my homework and be more prepared this time.

January 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh yes, the cluster feeding. That's intense. Growth spurts are really frequent in the beginning. The first time it happened on our second night in the hospital, she got herself worked up into a frenzy and couldn't latch. It scared the crap out of both me and DH and after 20 minutes of not being able to calm her down, we thought something was wrong and called the nurse in. She explained about cluster feeding and that they just think they're starving and want to nurse constantly. Just go with it. Phew.
navywifey2003 and Purrrrrrr like this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We followed up with a lactation consultant after both births, just to make sure things were still being done right after being home for a couple of weeks. That's when it starts hurting and you wonder if something is wrong, so it helped us to have a professional check out the latch and everything and tell us that it's all normal.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I'm lurking from May DDC:

I wanted to ditto all the ladies who mentioned cluster-feeding. That freaked me out. I thought I wasn't producing enough, I thought I was STARVING my child. I had many a tearful day during those first 2 months. I was so engorged all the time too, I'd nurse, and then pump 5oz out of each breast. I remember I nursed DH the entire time during a Lord of the Rings marathon.

Then one day, a very nice lady over in the breastfeeding board told me that newborns and babies don't just nurse for food... they nurse because they need their mommies and they need comfort and reassurance. She also pointed me to kellymom.com and I read about how formula and breastmilk digest differently and all about clusterfeeding.

And after about 8 weeks, he just stopped nursing 24/7 and started to get on his own little schedule. It was like flicking a light-switch. It was sooo much easier after that. I nursed him right up until I found out I was pregnant when he was about 15/16 months.

You can do it and once you get over that hump, you'll be soooo happy you stuck with it.
edgeofelise likes this.

My Boring Blog
January 23rd, 2013, 03:12 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say be hardheaded and determined! Its def a challenge and so many people will be.on you about giving the baby a bottle because you need your rest and blab blab! I'm so glad I have stuck with it and I'm still nursing my 10 month old! Itsdef an accomplishment! Read any and everything about nursing the more educated you are the more likely you will stick with it! I nursed all mine but supplemented the first 2 pretty much due to pressures and not being educated! I was determined with my last that she was gonna be a total boobie baby! And she still is!

January 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what everyone else has said. I can't say enough about immediate skin to skin contact. As soon as baby is born, have them place him/her on your chest. They can do all the initial vitals while baby is there. I always ask that they wait to bathe the baby until I BF first. I find it is so important for those first bonding moments. And, really, that first session has so little to do with baby eating and more to do with you getting to know each other and taking the first steps to learn how to breastfeed together. Like everyone else said, it's a learning experience for both of you.

January 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh yes, clusterfeeding with a clamping issue was what almost KILLED me. Nursing non-stop for 1.5 hours, break for 10 minutes and then go for another hour. HORRIBLE. My LC told me that I should always nurse when the baby asks for it to build my supply. So did all my breastfeeding books.

It took my male, retiring, pediatrician to tell me that it's okay to set a time limit and then ask for help from DH or someone else to soothe the baby in other ways to give me more of a break. It is important in those early days to feed as much as possible to build supply but it is also important for mom to get a small sanity break. Letting him nurse for 40minutes to an hour to ensure nutrition is okay. But then I get a mandatory 30 minute break and DH should take the baby and hold him in a wrap or go for a walk (FYI: Stepping outside has an almost 100% success rate in getting your baby to stop crying, even at night).

As others have said, don't worry about setting a feeding schedule, the baby will set that with time. Don't worry about chores. As long as everyone has at least one set of clean clothes and access to food then who cares. That was another hard lesson to learn.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search