Babywearing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran
I am thinking about getting a baby carrier and using it this time around. For the moms who wear their babies, what are some good ones?

January 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I like the ergo and then the boba when they are bigger. The boba is made for bigger babies. I also loved the k'tan fornthe newborn stage. its like a wrao without he wrapping. I'm getting a hop-tie this time. I have yet to try a wrap. Ring slings are also good for the newborn stage as well as slings like the hot sling.

January 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had an Ergo and a Maya wrap (ring sling) in the beginning and they were great for a new babywearer! I used the infant insert in the ergo for several months with M and liked it a lot although many people think they are a waste of money.

January 22nd, 2013, 06:51 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I love my ergo, I also had a gypsy mama wrap I sold it then found out I was pregnant.. DOH!!

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The maya ring sling all the way

January 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca2581 View Post
I am thinking about getting a baby carrier and using it this time around. For the moms who wear their babies, what are some good ones?
I have been wondering this same thing except for twins...

January 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love love LOVE my woven wraps. There is a bit of a learning curve and it's not as quick to use as a soft structured carrier (like the Ergo or Boba), but it'll fit your baby for the longest amount of time, you can wear them on your front, hip, or back, and I found it to be the most comfortable. You can also put twins in a wrap, where you can't with other carriers (although you might be able to with the K'tan, but the stretchy carriers usually are only comfortable until 15 lbs or so).
crawmommy likes this.
January 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Oh and stay away from baby bjorn, they are not good for babies at all!!

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I love moby, ergo, beco and boba! The moby was by far my favorite all time carrier but I only used it for the newborn/baby stage. I prefer the others for toddlers.

January 22nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I liked different ones for different stages. We got the ergo right away. I couldn't wear her in it because it rested on my incision but DH was a pro and walking her through the witching hour every evening. Bonus of having a summer baby: long evening walks get you through fussy time and baby carriers are amazing for that! We got the moby at around 3 months and I wished I'd had it earlier. I could tie it high enough that it didn't bother my incision and I loved how snuggly it was. We use it until she was about a year old because she's such a peanut. When she was learning how to walk my favorite was a pocket sling. No adjusting, just put it on and pop them in and out in a heartbeat. Great for older babies who frequently want to get down and explore but get tired easily. When I wasn't using it I'd just stuff it in my backpack; they fold down to nothing.

Bottom line: try to find a store where you can bring your baby and try them out before you spend money. I spent a ton on a ring sling when I was pregnant with DD but it never felt right. You won't really know what works best for you and your baby until you give it a shot. If you can't find a store that has a variety to try, ask other mamas you know if you can borrow one, or try to buy one used. They can be expensive and you don't want to jump the gun and get something you'll hate!
LisaS likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 23rd, 2013, 06:54 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I have a Sleepy Wrap. It's the same as a Moby but just a bit more stretchy. I loved it for around the house, but it's too hot to wear outside in the summer (my son was born in July).
MerinSun likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
With Connor, we started out with a moby wrap. Unfortunately, it didn't work for us as it was summer, we both got very hot, very easily, and we ended up sweating so much in it. I ended up selling it. Then I tried a mei tei, I liked it but Connor did not, he would cry every time I tried to put him in it.

I finally found the ergo when he was about 8m- a year and we both loved it. I got the ergo sport so it had a slit in the back for air flow so we weren't as hot. However, seeing friends and others with the beco and boba, I realized how short the shell of the ergo really is. I always had a feeling that Connor was going to fall out if I bent over or something, and I realized it's because the shell was so short. I wish now that I had a beco or boba.

I really, really want to try a ring sling for the new baby. I would try a woven wrap but I don't think I'm up for the learning curve, and I sure as heck don't want to spend that much money on something that the baby may hate!! LOL

There was a babywearing group in NC that had a library of baby carriers. For their annual fee of like $20, you were welcome to try any and all of the baby carriers for 2 weeks at a time each. It's a great way to try out carriers and see if they work for you and baby! I'm looking for one locally in FL now, too!

Sometimes local baby boutiques will have ones you can try, or have contacts for the local babywearing groups, too.

and ditto, ditto, ditto on the baby bjorns!! UGH those things shouldn't even be on the market!!!!!
MamaSkunk likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I bought some material and made a ring sling like the Maya wrap and one like the Moby. I found I preferred the Moby in the infant stage. Abri was fussy and liked being really close. It did get hot though. Once she was a little bigger, we switched to the Ergo. I loved it! We used it all the time until she was about 13-14 months.
January 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
I have a Sleepy Wrap. It's the same as a Moby but just a bit more stretchy. I loved it for around the house, but it's too hot to wear outside in the summer (my son was born in July).
Yes, I *LOVED* my sleepy wrap for going around the house and snoozing in the recliner. Not supposed to do that last bit but I dare anyone to not nod off when given the opportunity to just sit in a chair and listen to their baby breathe.

I really want a carrier for going out and about. I thought I'd check out a ergo but you guys mentioned a boba and a beco. Never heard of them before but I'll check them out

What's wrong with Bjorn's?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 23rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Bjorns put the baby in a dangling position rather than a seated position. I have a image illustrating it. I will find it for you.

http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com...u95wp6Y2_b.jpg

January 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ah. The image is kind of small, is the issue that the pelvis is thrust forward?

Has anyone tried an Infantino carrier (like the Breathe) and nursed in it? I've been looking at this carrier specifically designed for breastfeeding but it doesn't seem very light and airflowy. The Infantino Breathe seems to be more what I need but I'm not sure if you can breastfeed a newborn in it well :\

Infantino carriers are $15-$40 and well reviewed.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 23rd, 2013, 09:15 PM
Here try this one http://www.thebabywearingblog.com/wp...38359936_n.jpg

I've never heard of that carrier.

January 23rd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, now I see the problem, lol.

You see Infantino at Babies R Us and Baby Depot. They're a big brand but for whatever reason their carriers are not expensive or well advertised. But they seem to have many (if not all) of the same features as the leading brands.

January 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
I googled it and it seems similar to the style of the Bjorn carriers.

January 23rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Union one puts the hips/legs in the better position

Union

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search