Did you get the quad screen?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Did you get the quad screen (bloodtest)?
Yes 12 37.50%
No 19 59.38%
No, but I will 0 0%
No, I'm undecided on if I will 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Rochelle
Just curious. I didn't get one yet bc I didn't think it was a huge deal and no other OB has ever wanted me to but my new OB is on a small campaign to get me to have one but only bc he likes all his patients to do it and not bc I have any situations he's concerned about. I may still do it. I have until 21 weeks. I don't want to start a debate. I'm just interested to see how many of you actually got it. Did you have any risk factors or situations that made it especially needed?
January 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didnt. Because I will love my child no matter what. Those scans often give false positives. And its easier for my frame of mind during the pregnancy to not be thinking something could be wrong.

January 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Nope, and I never have.
January 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope. We read that they give high false positives and decided we didn't want to do something with those kids of statistics. Plus, we would love the baby no matter what, and to us it wasn't a big deal.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
January 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran
I did, just because I had one with dd, my results were negative both times.

January 23rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did. I want to be as prepared as I can be for this baby.
The results were negative.
January 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I didn't with my daughter... mostly because I really didn't know what it was and my mother was going to all my appointments and she kind of threw a fit about it when they asked me. I didn't really care... no matter what, it's my kid, ya know...
I went for an appointment today and they asked me if I wanted to. I asked if I needed to and my nurse said not really, explained about false positives and that they'll leave it up to me. I just went ahead and did it. I'm not worried about anything and I don't think it really matters.
January 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I did with Connor. I chose not to this time around for money reasons. I did the screening at 12 weeks and all was OK, so I've decided to skip the 18 week/quad screen because I didn't want to pay the additional fees!!

January 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fortunately, our insurance pays for everything (hubby works at our hospital). If not, I'd only get the essentials.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I did. My doctor recommended it but didn't push it. I'll be 35 when the baby is born. I read that the high false positives are often due to getting your blood drawn out of the "window". Which I was told was 16-18 weeks. But maybe I'm wrong if you said you have until 21 weeks.

January 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I declined it, I will love baby girl regardless!

January 23rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did not with my first two. I was age 29 and 30 when they were born. I knew of the accuracy and that scared the daylights out us. This time, I am 39. Instead of that screen, I did the Harmony test. It is a test where they take your blood and separate the child's DNA. They then test the DNA. It is reported as 99.5% accurate. The test involves no risk to the child. The cost without insurance is about $795. Our insurance covers it - perhaps due to age. Not sure. Our results told us our risk is only 1/10,000 which is virtually no risk. I would highly recommend this test over the other.

January 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did not. No need since I did Matrni21
January 23rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I honestly have no clue what that is.
January 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie+Shpala View Post
I honestly have no clue what that is.
Pulled this from a website bc I still wasn't 100% clear on it:
"The quad screen test is a maternal blood screening test that looks for four specific substances: AFP, hCG, Estriol, and Inhibin-A.

AFP: alpha-fetoprotein is a protein that is produced by the fetus

hCG: human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced within the placenta

Estriol: estriol is an estrogen produced by both the fetus and the placenta

Inhibin-A: inhibin-A is a protein produced by the placenta and ovaries

The quad screen is a maternal blood screening test that is similar to the Triple Screen Test (also know as AFP Plus and the Multiple Marker Screening). However, the quad screen looks for not only the three specific substances evaluated in those tests (AFP, hCG, and Estriol) but also a fourth substance known as Inhibin-A.

The screen is essentially the same as the screening tests that look for only three substances, except the likelihood of identifying pregnancies at risk for Down Syndrome is higher through the evaluation of Inhibin-A levels. The false positive rate of the test is also lower. "
Quad Screen : American Pregnancy Association
January 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Rochelle
I'll admit seeing these poll results has cleared up my decision to not get it. Originally I said "no" bc I'm not over 35, I would keep the baby no matter what and my insurance is crappy and cost a lot for bloodtests. I know there is always a chance of downs but the chance is low for me and I would feel blessed even so. We would make things work out.
January 23rd, 2013, 07:14 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hearts View Post
I'll admit seeing these poll results has cleared up my decision to not get it. Originally I said "no" bc I'm not over 35, I would keep the baby no matter what and my insurance is crappy and cost a lot for bloodtests. I know there is always a chance of downs but the chance is low for me and I would feel blessed even so. We would make things work out.
These are our reasons for declining.

January 24th, 2013, 05:23 AM
All these tests are sooo confusing to me. I am 41 yrs old and had the down syndrome test done and everything was good but my dr. suggested I do a level II genetic sonogram in Feb. Now I am worried that she is concerned about things...she didn't say why I should do this test I just assumed it was just because of my age.

Now after reading up all these types of tests it seems there are reasons for doing them and not mainly because of age
January 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know if I have done it yet but I get all the tests and screens so I will
January 24th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We had the ultra sound and blood work done at 12 weeks and just had the 16 week blood draw done last Thursday. I am waiting on the results. They suggested it since my first m/c was due to Turners which is a chromosome issue. I'm not to worried about the results since we will keep the baby no matter what.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search