Suggestions for cloth diapers

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
It' so overwhelming! Pockets, inserts, AIOs, prefolds, flats... *head explodes*

I think we've settled on prefolds with covers, since they seem most economical and we don't want to have to wash the whole diaper every time we change the baby. Now we have to decide on a specific brand/style. Anyone have suggestions? G-Diapers, Fuzzibunz, etc? Also, so we need to get Snappis as well or will the covers hold the prefolds in place well enough? It's all so confusing!

January 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm new to cd so I just went on nickisdiapers.com & kellyscloset.com and ordered a few different brands to see what I like best. It is very co fusing! I thought I was set on pocket diapers but then I realzed prefolds & covers seemed easier

January 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Green Mountain Diapers for prefolds- watch for their seconds sales to get a good deal. For covers, I prefer Bummis Super Brites. Thirsties Duo Wraps are good in the newborn/infant stage too. I like buying from Nicki's Diapers, Kelly's Closet, or Mom's Milk Boutique
mommyandwife08 likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Green Mountain Diapers (GMD) has really nice prefolds. I've heard terrible things about G-Diapers. Fuzzibunz are all pocket diapers unless they've come out with prefolds and covers that I don't know about.

You don't HAVE to buy Snappis but I highly recommend them, especially for newborns and their "rivers of poo". If you BF, you're gonna have liquid poo until you start solids, and the Snappis hold the prefold closed after you do some fancy folding (do a search on youtube for "prefold jellyroll"). My husband is JUST NOW figuring out how to use Snappis (my son is 18 months old). He always just trifolds the prefold in a cover. Which is totally fine for pee. But for runny poos.....oh lord.....it just gets everywhere inside the cover so you can't use it again until you wash it.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Rochelle
We do prefolds and snappis with a cover. All from Greenmountaindiapers. Its all we can afford, TBH.
January 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no use. I've never CDed a newborn. I'm big into pockets with my toddler so I will be stocking up on NB pockets and just praying I like them. I use nothing but overseas cheapies - Alva, Sunbaby, THX, etc.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Omigod. I just spent 2 hours talking this all out with a friend of mine. So far I've created this list (aiming for everything I need newborn to toddler):

6 Kawaii diapers from Amazon $8-$10 each

24-36 prefolds (4x8x4 layers, unbleached hemp or cotton) Struggling with pricing. The number of prefolds for washing every other day

3-6 hemp liners $5-$7 each. This is for night time deep soakings -mega peeing when baby sleeps longer. You lay these on top of your prefolds or flat diaper.

2-3 sets of Boingo snaps $5 each. My friend recommended these over snappis because they don't pull against the stomach.

1 yard of fleece to cut into diaper sized strips. You lay these strips on top of your pre-fold/flat diaper to wick wetness away from the skin and to make dumping poo easier. It will also spare your prefold/flat diaper from staining.

Wet diaper bag $16 was the cheapest I saw.

All said and done about $300. I need to get cheaper than that. I'm looking at Econobums which boasts that it can give you a complete system for $100. But apparently double gussets around the legs are best and Econobums only do single.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 25th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I just spent hours the last couple days looking at diapers. I'm new to it as well. This is my plan. I would like a few all-in-ones just for convenience matters. But they are a little more expensive than I'd like so I'm buying one or two every month till baby is born and I actually made a registry on kellyscloset.com hoping I get more as gifts. Other than that...prefolds and covers. I'll get prefolds from green mountain.com and will be making my covers. I'm so excited!

I actually just bought my first "snap-in-one". It's an itti bitti d'lish in lime! I can't wait to get "fluff" (as Karen78 says) in the mail!!!
January 25th, 2013, 05:32 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Ditto Dani lol I hope I can find some pockets that fit a newborn, luckily I have big babies so I'm hoping my OS fits well enough!

Look on Etsy for wet bags, I LOVE mine that I found from this seller: MFD Wet Bags PTPA Award Winner Space Bound by monkeyfootdesigns I've got 2 different sizes, one for the diaper bag and one for home. I think I'm going to get another for the diaper bag, too!

January 25th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I talked with my mom who is from the old school cd era and she is amazed by all the new era cd biz(she thought pins were still used) so when I go home this weekend she said bring my stash so far and she is going to find a way to MAKE me diapers and wipes I am soooo excited! I love my mommy!
bribugg13 likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniB+3 View Post
I'm no use. I've never CDed a newborn. I'm big into pockets with my toddler so I will be stocking up on NB pockets and just praying I like them. I use nothing but overseas cheapies - Alva, Sunbaby, THX, etc.
I'm with her I use pockets with Bamboo inserts. My favorite brand are sunbaby which I buy threw a co-op so I get them cheap. I didn't CD my oldest but I wish I had. I will be with this baby too

January 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just do prefolds and covers. I made a bunch of covers for DS before, so I'll just keep using those. And I'll probably buy some used pockets and inserts from a friend who has a girl and has a ton of cute diapers. She uses Sunbaby and I know they're cheap to begin with, so will be even cheaper used. My DS never cared whether or not we put the microfleece in his diaper, so I don't use it. It's polyester anyway, so not as easy to clean as the cotton prefolds. If you know someone who can sew, making a wetbag is super easy and way cheaper. I had Snappis for DS, but never used them.
January 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Prefolds and covers are awesome. It was all we had when M was a newborn and it worked awesome. Still one of our main go tos. We jellyrolled and used a snappi in the EBF days but now just trifold in a cover.

Honestly if you are just CDing to save money, and you can't find any screaming deals for used newborn stashes online or locally, and you are expecting an average-to-big baby, it is probably cheaper to use sposies in the newborn period until the one size cloth diapers fit. It doesn't take too long, maybe to about 12 lbs and legs chunking up a bit, several weeks or so. For small babies (like under 7 lbs at birth) newborn cloth is more likely to save you money.

Econobum is a great system and you should not hesitate to use it starting out! Double gussets are nice in the early explosive poo stage but hardly required. I love my Econobum covers on my toddler!

January 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah I am going to also recommend co-op shopping. I am a co-op host with a great group and that is how I get ALL of my diapers. If I've ever paid more than $8-$10 for a diaper it's because it was a custom or something else fancy. Most of my diapers are $4-$5 new. I also buy handmade WAHM wet bags that are AMAZING through my group and even the largest ones are $18 and they hold a ton of dipes. Co-ops are really the best undiscovered gem for CDing moms. You just have to make sure that you buy from a reputable group.

Oh, also, I do have two Monkey Foot bags and I love them to death. They were worth the price tag!

FYI I have big babies (my son was 10 lbs and 23") and from everyone I've talked to who's BTDT the Alva newborns fit well beyond the 12 lbs "limit" for most babies. And they're dirt cheap. So that may be something to consider, too.

Last edited by DaniB+3; January 25th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
January 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Just to give an example - I just ordered 20 newborn Alvas (double gusset pockets, suedecloth inners, velcro closure) with inserts and it was under $100. $115 with shipping. Now, my goal is to have closer to 40 NB diapers in my stash, but even if I got all Alvas I'd still only be about $200 deep into my investment. And considering that newborn CDs have a very high resale value (provided you take good care of them), I know that I'll be making a large chunk of that money back once I'm done with them since this will be my last newborn. And let's be honest, 40 diapers is probably overkill but I am a diaper hoarder so that's how I roll . I'm not saying that the cheapie ones are the prettiest, but they do the job and that's what matters to me.

And honestly, don't be afraid to buy used. If you're buying from good people then the diapers will be in clean, usable condition. I was originally freaked out by the idea but I've since learned that it's really safe and inexpensive.

So yeah, just trying to showcase that it is possible to CD on a budget if that's what your goal is.

January 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Are Alva's pocket diapers? I checked out there website, HOLY CHEAP!! LOL I had heard of them in the past, but never looked into it. What's the differences in their "series" on the website?

January 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay here is a question I would love someone to answer for me!

I think for finances we are going to go with prefolds and covers and then add the AIO or pockets later on when baby is bigger.

How many prefolds would you start out with, realistically? Like 36? Or more? And how many covers?

January 25th, 2013, 12:08 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Green Mountain for prefolds I used Thirstie covers and they worked great together with Snappis
January 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
36 prefolds is good to have because they often get used as burp cloths or breast milk puddle pads as well! And it gives you more of an error margin on laundry day. 24 prefolds is minimal but generally doable for a newborn. 4 covers is a minimum and only to be attempted if you use a snappi. 6 is good when you snappi. 10-12 is safest if you don't fasten and just trifold. It really depends on your baby's pooping patterns though. Some babies barely poop at all and you only need a few covers... so I hear my baby pooped like crazy!!!! Haha.
4hearts and MrsLat like this.

January 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
If you are washing every other day, 2 dozen prefolds and 4-6 covers should be plenty.
MrsLat likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search