wedding, bassinets increasing risk of sids & anatomy scan ramble

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Mommy to Be
Im going to write a lot because with so much going on it has been awhile since I have had a chance to come on here. Just got married on Saturday, I enjoyed my wedding even though I was probably the only sober one lol. It was very hard for my sister, but I am happy she managed to pull through the entire day. I had the funniest thing happen to me that day though, I was on my way to get my hair done and decorate the hall and I got pulled over because of my bad inspection sticker, who gets pulled over on their wedding day??

anyway, I just recently purchased a bassinet, the Carters just one year and my husband (its weird saying that) was talking to my brother in law (weird saying that too) and he told him that bassinets increase a babys chances of sids, i dont understand how thats possible, i looked up as much info as i could and as far as i could tell its the same risk factors as a crib, but does anyone have any additional information about this? I was planning to use the bassinet in my bedroom and for naps and have the crib in the babys room for when he (OR SHE) gets a little older and i feel more comfortable with letting he or she sleep in the other bedroom. I know my husband is freaking out about it, because its our first child and his brother thinks everything he does and says is right, so pleaaaase any additional info

My anatomy sonogram is the 1st of february, im kind of very anxious for it, we are having the tech put boy or girl in an envelope and having the bakery make a cake that is either pink or blue inside for us to cut on my birthday, the 7th of february, so ill be giving myself a little birthday gift lol. If i can manage to wait that long lol

I forgot to mention my last appt, babys heartbeat is 144, my doctor said he or she sounds very strong, and he measured me and says im perfectly on schedule =)

Last edited by Disruptivebubbles; January 25th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
January 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would make sure the bassinet doesnt have any extra fabric that could get in babys face...I prefer the arms reach cosleeper myself. Also always put baby on their back to sleep. Dont let anyone smoke in the house or around baby(as that can increase the chances) Dont put any blankets or pillows or bumpers in the crib baby. Dont let baby sleep on the couch. Those are some of the main sids risk factors.
Thats why we alternate bedsharing with baby or cosleeping til six months cuz I feel like possibly I could at least do something where as I dont think anyone could hear baby in the next room. So by having baby near you is definately one thing in your favor
LisaS likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 11:40 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I agree with MamaSkunk. As long as there aren't any blankets, pillows, etc in the bassinet, I see no reason why it would increase the risk of SIDS. Congrats on your wedding!!
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
January 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I also have never heard that a bassinet increases the risk of sids. Like everyone said no pillows/blankets that could tangle around baby etc. but it sounds like its fine. Everyone will always give you their opinions about things but in the end you have to do what you feel is right and make your own decisions Opinions really ARE like Aholes And Happy early bday (mine it the 8th haha)! I wouldn't be able to wait but what a fun idea.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
I would make sure the bassinet doesnt have any extra fabric that could get in babys face...I prefer the arms reach cosleeper myself. Also always put baby on their back to sleep. Dont let anyone smoke in the house or around baby(as that can increase the chances) Dont put any blankets or pillows or bumpers in the crib baby. Dont let baby sleep on the couch. Those are some of the main sids risk factors.
Thats why we alternate bedsharing with baby or cosleeping til six months cuz I feel like possibly I could at least do something where as I dont think anyone could hear baby in the next room. So by having baby near you is definately one thing in your favor

good info.
I got a few questions
At what age can baby sleep with blanket in crib? When they are older or never?
Wearable blanket the way to go then?
I was thuinking about bassinet or co-sleeper too. But with co-sleeper doesn't it have one side missing? Would I put baby there for naps. i suppose it wouldn't matter if baby can't roll over yet. or maybe there is a better place for baby to nap, crib bouncer??

Didn't want to steal the thread just read this and thought it would be a good time to comment.

Congrats on your wedding dear!
January 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
good info.
I got a few questions
At what age can baby sleep with blanket in crib? When they are older or never?
Wearable blanket the way to go then?
I was thuinking about bassinet or co-sleeper too. But with co-sleeper doesn't it have one side missing? Would I put baby there for naps. i suppose it wouldn't matter if baby can't roll over yet. or maybe there is a better place for baby to nap, crib bouncer??

Didn't want to steal the thread just read this and thought it would be a good time to comment.

Congrats on your wedding dear!
I let DD have blankets in the crib when she was around 8 months. I did let her use blankets in the carseat or the swing.
With DD i just put her in fleece footie jammies or the button up thinner weight jammies in summer. Our babies wont need thick blankets when they are born...summer babies!
The cosleeper does have a lip on the open side and it butts up against your bed. However DD slept in her swing or bouncer for naps most of the time. And DD never used her crib even for naps til 6 months. And you have to remember..that even tho the side is a bit more open on the cosleeper...babies just dont go rolling all over right away until they learn how to roll all the way over. Which is around 4 months of age for most.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
congrats on the wedding! Any pictures??

Ditto what everyone else said about the blankets and stuff.

And a really cute idea for your birthday cake!

January 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on the wedding

I agree with what others said about blankets and things in the bed is what I would worry about with increasing SIDS risk. I don't remember when I started putting a blanket in there, but they were probably like 9 months or so. I always had a bumper up though, the no bumper thing is new to me... And then I have never put stuffed animals in their cribs.

I loved the little sleep sacks at night and warm jammies. My kids were never cold. When they slept during naps I swaddled them and snapped them into their bouncers because I was watching them and nearby in case they wiggled out of their swaddler or got it up by their face . My kids always ended up napping in their bouncers and swing until they were a little bigger. My kids were really fussy and that was the only way they would nap lol.

January 25th, 2013, 04:58 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
CONGRATS!!! I've been married a year and a half and it still feels a little weird to call him my husband.

The official rule on blankets and stuff in the crib is one year, but we let DD have a little blanket around 10 or 11 months. And about your DH, first-time dads are bonkers. When we first brought DD home, my mom put her down in her crib and left her in my room for a while while she slept. On her back, no blankets, just like you're supposed to...and DH was furious that she "just left her in there." Um, there's nothing wrong with that, lol. You don't have to stare at them the whole time they're sleeping. Silly guy. He'll calm down. My mom still jokes with him about that one.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What MamaSkunk said. And I think it's been shown that room sharing actually decreases the risk of SIDS. Just make sure the bassinet is a safe place...no blankets, pillows, etc.
January 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your wedding!
When my boys were little I put them in sleep sacks mainly because those are so easy to change a diaper at night. Just zip down & zip up. But the boys were all born in fall or winter so I'm not sure this baby will need them. I used the bassinet top on the pack-n-play for all my boys so they could be in my room for about a month & then they were crib sleepers, but our nursery is a room right off our bedroom so my now 1 year old is less than a few feet from our bed and I can hear him when we keep the doors open between. I've always felt that we both slept better when he's in his crib.

Speaking of SIDS risks. . .is anyone using a bumper? I don't understand why they still sell them in the sets?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search