Junior?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 02:05 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
So now that we know we're having a boy, DH all of a sudden suggests that we name this baby after him and have a junior. We have talked about this each time we're pregnant. Every time he agrees that he wouldn't really want a junior and would prefer a different name. My sister had a boy last year and he's a junior but my BIL is the type that wanted a boy to follow exactly in his footsteps and be a mini-me. So why now all of a sudden? Is it because a boy is finally a reality? I have agreed to use Kenneth as a middle name because the first born son in DH's family has that name (DH, DH's father, grandfather, etc). But I refuse to have a junior. To me, it just feels like too much pressure for that child. Plus, I work at a cpa firm and the juniors/seniors/thirds are soooo confusing. Am I unreasonable?
January 25th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Nope not unreasonable at all. I told DH he can use his name as a middle name of he wants (he said he doesn't want to anyways) but that there would be no first naming after him, or anyone else in his/my family for that matter. Also i'm not sure what it is with DH's and first boys, but DH could have cared less what I named DD and just went with the flow and since we've found out this one is a boy he suddenly has all these strange demands and ideas about things

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Nope not at all. I wouldn't want one either.

January 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Nope, not unreasonable. Luckily for me, DH doesn't want a junior and we've already used his name as our oldest's middle name.
January 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh Juniors always get called Junior which to me sounds just awful. I think putting his name as middle name is best.
Karen78 likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 03:45 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you are being unreasonable. I would never want a Junior, either. Gabe has Alex's name as his middle name. I was never a fan of calling a child "junior" or like "AJ" (Alex Junior)... but that is just me.

January 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I don't think it's unreasonable. My husband is a Jr. and he hates it. Of course it doesn't help that his father was a total abusive dead-beat... But twice there have been situations where we were informed of his father's legal problems because of a mix-up due to them sharing names.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Oh yeah, he wants to call this baby TJ (Trenton Junior). Awful. I get that some people are all for it, and clearly my sister liked the idea or else she wouldn't agree to name her child after her husband. It's just really not my thing. That and I get enough comparisons with my sister, that I don't want family thinking that we named this baby after DH because that's what she did with hers.
MamaSkunk likes this.
January 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Not unreasonable at all
I told DH if we had another boy (and with our son) no Jr and he was fine with it
I even offered his first name as a middle and he passed

The TJ thing would ANNOY me. I hate when people name their kid one thing but advise they will call him something else. Just name him the name you will call him.

January 25th, 2013, 05:46 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You technically cannot have a jr unless the babys name is same as hubs name first middle.and last so keep that in mind

January 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We gave our son DH's first name, but a different middle name, so he's not a Jr. It helps with the confusion issue that DH only goes by Chris, so we call DS Christian and we never get them mixed us.
January 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the dad's name being used as the middle name. We're kind of doing it that way...My dad's name is Michael, and DH's middle name is Michael, so we're using that as the middle name since it works on two levels.

When DH was born, he was not named after his dad. His dad was 18, his mom was 17, they were both in high school and only got married because their parents forced them to. When DH was 2 years old, his dad left them. Moved across the country and started a whole new family a few years later and had 4 more kids. First-born son from "Family 2.0" was named Keith Jr. That's always bugged me. DH says it doesn't bother him much, but I know it's hurtful to him. I was never a huge fan of Juniors, but DH's family history kind of sealed the deal on that one. No Juniors for us!

January 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a big fan of nicknames and think it's fun to have a proper name and a name that your family and friends call you by. I think it's based on what you grew up with. I think it looks really unprofessional to have an offical name that is typically a nickname so the whole name your kid what you want to call them thing doesn't work for us. That being said I think it has a lot to do with the area you grow up in and the family you grow up in. If your family has always used nicknames it seems normal to have one. I know someone doesn't know me if they call me Christine and I know they are just aquaintances if they call me Chrissy but if I get a phone call with a message starting off with "Chris" I know it's a family member or a good friend. But when I was teaching - I used Christine on all my things to keep everything professional and separate from my regular life.

To the actual topic at hand - haha I'm not a big fan of the jr only because my bil is the 3rd and they have SUCH big problems with their credit report. It is insane how much they have clogged their system up with the three. He has had to send his grandfathers death certificate multiple times to all three agencies and his dad has written letters stating which accounts are his and yet it's still all mingled up.

My aunt had the same problem as although you don't call them jr's she is named after my grandmother and had a big problem when refinancing her house (but not when she bought it weird huh?)

January 26th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Super Mommy
My DH is a junior and when we first found out DS1 was a boy we were considering making him a III but I really didn't want to, and my DH isn't even very close with his father so it's not like his name is so important to him that his first son take it. I can only imagine the mix up's he'd be faced with later in life had we named him William Joseph III! I'm so glad we chose Isaac. There's not too many nicknames you can get off of William. My FIL is Billy Joe, I, my family and his family and a couple of our friends call my hubby Billy but everyone else calls him Bill.
January 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not unreasonable at all. I am also firmly against having a junior. We know someone who is a 3rd and it is a very unusual name so his bank stuff, tax information, etc all get mixed up with his dads.

January 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
nope I would giggle if my husband even suggested it! haha

January 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I dont think so. My FIL is a Junior and didnt like it so my husband has his own name so it was easy for us not to have to do it since his dad didnt even do it. I prefer kids to have their own names too
January 26th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
My son is a jr he is named after his father. Its family tradition to name first born sons after their father. All of the girls in our family so far have done this. I will be breaking the tradition this time cause DH doesnt want his son named after him.
January 26th, 2013, 11:43 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you're unreasonable. SO didn't want to name the baby after him and have a junior, but the name Anthony was implied because he, his father, and his grandfather were all named Anthony, but all had different middle names. My younger brother is a Jr and it's never been a big deal. We always just call him by his name and he's only been called TJ a couple times by random people.

January 27th, 2013, 07:27 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely don't think you're unreasonable if it's important to you. With stuff like this, DH and I try to figure out who it is most important to and start there. I agree that TJ would be awful. Could you go with the name but call your son by the middle name, instead of calling him Junior? Or is there a nickname that could work? I feel a bit like the oddball, but if we were having a boy, he would have DH's name and DH is already the 4th. All four generations have gone by different names. The name is James Andrew and, in order, they were J.A., Andy, Jim, and DH is Drew. Our baby would have been James, I think. That way it's not like being a mini-me and he would have his own name, but also the family name that is super important to DH. My grandpa, dad, and brother also have the same first name, but different middle names. My parents were going to call my brother by his middle name, but my grandpa had a cow and got his was, so that got confusing. But I like the way DH's family did it. Just thought I would share!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search