Glider Chairs

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I heard a lot of you talk about the glider chairs and not liking them I want to get this one. What would be the problem with this?

Storkcraft Bowback Glider Rocker and Ottoman Set - Walmart.com

i just purchased a 220 dollar dresser so don't wan to spend a lot on the chair.

I won't really have room in my living room to add it in after I am done with it in nursery either way.
just looking for opinions.
January 29th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one almost exactly like that with DD and honestly, I hated it. Because it's only one position - upright - it's uncomfortable for middle of the night feedings when you want to doze. The cushions aren't as comfy as they look. The exposed wooden moving parts at the bottom are a hazard when baby starts to crawl. DD got her arm stuck in it. Also, it's so obviously nursery furniture, that you can't use it anywhere else in the house without it looking like it came from the nursery.

This is the one I'm getting this time around. It's a glider AND a recliner. Comfort is of the utmost importance to me this time, and as a nice bonus it'll look good as living room furniture when it's no longer needed in the nursery. Arcadia Glider Recliner Chair, Chocolate Microfiber - Furniture & Mattresses - Living Room Furniture - Chairs & Recliners

I know it's more expensive, but I think other than the crib, it's the most important piece of furniture in the nursery. If you end up getting something cheaper that turns out to be uncomfortable, it's going to be a waste of money. I regretted buying our glider the first time I nursed in it, and usually ended up using the couch in the living room because it was more comfortable. After DD got her arm stuck in it, I sold it for 1/3 what we bought it for.

Last edited by Joanne Nicole; January 29th, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
January 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a hand me down glider that was similar to the walmart one, but did not have padded arm rests. I used a pillow to prop up my elbow. It was fine. I used it a lot. However, we coslept/bedshared so I was not using it for middle of the night feeds. And I have to note that it is not safe to fall asleep with your baby on a couch or recliner, that is not a safe cosleeping environment, so the fact that it keeps you upright and does not help you sleep, is not necessarily a bad thing, if you are concerned about that.

It is true that it is not a baby proof furniture item. You have to get rid of it when baby is crawling. But by then you don't need it as much anyway IME.

Obviously nicer gliders are nicer so if you want to shell out for one, you will get more luxury. But it is not like any of these things are strictly required in any way. It just depends on your budget and priorities. I am too cheap to buy a new one since I have this old one and also have a nice old wood rocker which is a lot more babyproof and takes up less room.

January 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do have that and use it for rocking DD if she has a bad dream or is sick or teething. We also use it for sitting together for bedtime stories. I do like mine and think its comfortable for my back. If you want one then get it
Also I should add it is still in DDs room and shes 2. But then again when she was crawling she really wasnt alone in her room except when napping or in bed at that age.

Last edited by MamaSkunk; January 29th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
January 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Just wanted some opinions. Thing is I have no where in my house to put it after we use it in nursery so I didn't want to spend too much. I appreciate the feedback.
January 29th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm worried about it being a safety issue now thou because of what happened to you jooanne.
You have a nice chair picked there but I can't spend 300 on one.
January 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Hmmm.....I have a very similar one from BRU. I love it though. I didn't think about kids getting their arms stuck though! Oops! I guess we never really let my son crawl a ton in his room. It's not a huge room and if he plays, it's downstairs. I do remember it being annoying when my son got bigger and it was difficult to nurse him comfortably. But I have tall genes.

January 29th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never even bothered with a glider. It just wasn't necessary in our house! We coslept, so I nursed in bed at night and during the day, the couch was just fine. If my kids needed motion to calm them down, I used my yoga ball and wore them and bounced, rocked back and forth on that. The bonus of the yoga ball was that it was easily moved from room to room and I already had one and it's way cheaper than a piece of furniture with a finite life span.
January 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't use a rocker/glider - We bought a swivel glider chair that is very comfortable, but it was more expensive and we will use it for this baby and it is in our living room.

See if they have any that you can sit in and test. If you are going to be nursing in it, you want it to be comfortable, otherwise it is a total waste of money. I will also add that you can get buy without a chair in the nursery, depending on your house layout. I nursed on the couch a lot so I could catch up on my TV watching while he nursed.
January 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I have a very similar glider and I loved having it for the newborn/little baby stage but when Madison got older it was hard to nurse it in and we rarely sit in it now. It's not very comfortable for sitting long in unless you're just using it to rock for a little while.

January 29th, 2013, 02:12 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved my glider and we kept it in DS room up until he was about 18 months. Keep in mind he was walking at 10 months but he was never alone in his room so we never had an issue with him climbing on it and making it tip or getting his arm stuck because he was never alone with it.

It is currently in our room and is still one of my favorite places to sit =) I can't wait to use it with the new baby no other chair was as comfortable for me not even the couch. I loved the soothing gliding motion.

January 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
We had a glider and when DD was about 6 months old we donated it. DD hated when I sat down and needed to be walked around. I also found myself getting bored as heck sitting alone in her room with her and we opted to buy a nice recliner for our living room instead That turned out to be the greatest investment

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 29th, 2013, 02:46 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one and I love it, I think it is so comfortable. We must be tacky because we have it in our living room right now. It matches our couch.

January 29th, 2013, 04:25 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
we had one, I hated it.. so uncomfy!

Ikea makes a nice one, that I tried out super comfy. If I had the room, I would so buy it..

PONG Chair - birch veneer/webbing black - IKEA

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We have two gliders. One in each of my daughters rooms. I didn't use my ODD as much but she uses it herself now. I BF my YDD and used her glider all the time. My youngest and this baby will share a room so I will be using it again.

January 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you looked on Craigslist or second-hand stores? We have one, we still use it every day and it's fine. Not the most amazing chair, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't have wanted to spend money on it though, we got ours from my SIL. You might be able to find one super cheap since they're commonly given up once babies outgrow the nursery.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 30th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We got lucky and got two at our baby shower for our ODD! Craigslist is a great place to look. We have gotten our YDD and this babys cribs on there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search