Pocket diapers

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bribugg13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when using pocket diapers do you have to change the pocket diaper after each diaper change or can you reuse it and just put a different insert in? I don't quite understand them. if you do have to change the diaper after each diaper change would it just be easier to do a cover with either a prefold or insert in the cover? Or use an AlO? As far as cost go it doesn't sound like pockets are cheaper than AIO when you factor in the diaper and insert cost..

I would like different takes on this situation if the ladies could help me out please I would really appreciate it!

January 29th, 2013, 01:05 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I only use pockets, you do have to use a new diaper each time, you can't just change the inserts. The lining of the pocket diapers wicks away moisture to the inserts and keeps baby dry. The biggest difference between AIO and Pockets is that it takes pocket diapers much less time to dry after washing, since you can take them a part and dry each piece separate. From what I've heard/read, AIO take a long time to dry because it's all one piece, padding and all.

AIO are easier, I suppose, since you don't have to stuff each pocket diaper after wash. I've never used them though, but essentially, AIOs and pockets are most like a "regular" diaper, needing no additional parts (like covers and prefolds, being two separate items).

This all coming from someone who's never used prefolds/covers either!
navywifey2003 likes this.

January 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
when using pocket diapers do you have to change the pocket diaper after each diaper change or can you reuse it and just put a different insert in?
You need a whole new one. The pocket just allows for better washing and customized absorbency.

I don't quite understand them. if you do have to change the diaper after each diaper change would it just be easier to do a cover with either a prefold or insert in the cover? Or use an AlO?
In my opinion, yes I am not a pocket person, I love AI2s/prefolds in covers. Pocket users love them because of the custom absorbency and bc they do go on like an AIO so they are easy to use once stuffed.

As far as cost go it doesn't sound like pockets are cheaper than AIO when you factor in the diaper and insert cost..
Depends on the pocket and AIO. China cheapie pockets like Sunbaby are super cheap. Some pockets like Econappies are super expensive. There are different price points for every type of diaper.

Hope that helps and check out the cloth diapering board! It has been slow lately but this thread would be great there

January 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Most pocket diapers when purchased new come with inserts so unless you prefer using different inserts it wouldn't be an added expense.

January 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, it can take some time to get your washing routine down and if you end up needing to strip, pockets are way easier. The waterproof PUL used for diaper covers is very sensitive and doesn't stand up well to really hot temperatures, certain detergents, etc. With pockets, if you have a stink problem you can usually just strip the inserts (there are a number of ways to do this; I've had the best luck with boiling them, which is something you could NEVER do with an AIO.) Stuffing them doesn't take that long and it's worth it for the ease of care and customization of absorbency.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 29th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Hope that helps and check out the cloth diapering board! It has been slow lately but this thread would be great there
I have tried to post there before but didn't get the replies I had thought I would get. I will giv eit a try again!

January 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
the ladies answered everything well for you. Being someone that has used it all, I love pockets over anything else that's for sure.

I use the cheapie sun baby but I love them,I have never ever had a issue with them.

I like AIO but drying sucks but time on them.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I honestly couldn't tell you pros and cons to a pocket vs AIO's vs prefolds/covers. I'm just gna try them all in the beginning and then what ever ones I like the most, I'll get more of when baby gets bigger.

Tags
cloth diapering board

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search