Very weird swelling

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Swelling, particularly in the legs, is pretty expected, particularly in the legs, but this is really odd. It is only in my left calf and foot (a serious cankle with this swelling). I had been wearing a knee brace on my left knee at night bc I have been having killer knee pain keeping me up all night, every night. (I have had problems with this knee for years and I think it has to do with ligament loosening that happens during pregnancy. It is fine during the day, but excruciating at night.) Yesterday morning, when I took the brace off, I noticed my foot was swollen. I didn't think a whole lot of it bc I had forgotten the brace was on until I had been sitting criss-cross on the couch working for about half an hour. I just figured it would go down in a couple of hours. I was at work with clients all day and by my third session, I had time to take a look at it and it looks like I have elephantitis! I left the brace off last night to hopefully get the swelling down, but it has only reduced very slightly. I also sat with my leg propped up last night from the time I got home until bedtime. I'm not sure what to do. My other leg is fine, so I'm thinking it has to be the brace, but I'm not sure why the swelling won't go away. Has anyone else had anything strange like this happen? It is seriously major swelling like I have never had before and it's even hard to wiggle my toes...

January 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would call your dr. Asap especially since it is just one leg and didn't go away eith elevation. Not to scare you but swelling is one of the many signs of blood clots. Please call your dr.

January 30th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My first thought was blood clot as well. Hope everything is okay!

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It could just be the brace and your body is taking a while to get the blood flow back to the rest of your body, but the other ladies are right, a blood clot is a possibility. There's something called the Homans sign, where you sit, put your heel on the ground and pull your toes back towards your body. If you get a bad pain in the back of your calf (not just muscle pulling, but pain), it's another sign of a clot. But even if this doesn't happen, I agree with the other ladies that a call to the doctor needs to be made. It might be nothing, but you need to know one way or another. Good luck! KUP

January 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not usually a go-to-the-doctor person, but I'd get in ASAP. Pregnant women are particularly subject to clots and it's super important to catch it early. Go!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

January 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Go to the Dr. ASAP honey... that sounds like a blood clot Hopefully not though!!

January 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep. Get in to the Dr hun. Good luck!

January 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im not usually a go to the doctor person either but in this case I would.

January 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to second the other ladies. I have a clotting disorder and take blood thinners for it. I am to immediately call my OB and Hematologist if I get one sided swelling, especially in the legs. If it is after hours, I will be sent to the ER. Don't mess around with this one.

I will also add, I don't call my OB for much, but if I were in your shoes I would be there. Please KUP

Kat.
January 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Hope everything is okay, please keep us updated! ((hugs))
January 30th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had this when I was pregnant with DS. My left leg would swell twice as much as my right. My Dr watched it and said it could possibly be blood clots. Luckily it was fine but I would definitely get it checked out just in case.

January 30th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Wow, thanks ladies. I will give my dr a call first thing in the morning. I posted before work this morning and just got back home. The swelling is slightly better, but only slightly. I will call when they open tomorrow. Thanks so much!

January 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have anything to add, but from what the other ladies are saying--I really hope it is nothing serious like a blood clot. Please keep us posted!

January 31st, 2013, 05:44 AM
Just called the nurse line at my OB's office. She thinks they are going to have me do a Doppler study on my leg to rule out a blood clot. In good news, swelling is th
Eonly symptom I have. No pain, redness, streaking, or other discoloration. The swelling did go down some this morning, so it's only a little swollen right now. The frustrating thing is that I may have to miss work to do this today and I need to work all
I can since we close on the wow house in 50 days. But I dEf have to take care of myself first. The nurse is calling me back when she has the order from the dr and then I will have to call the radiology place and see when they can get me in. They want me to do it ASAP to make sure that if there is a clot, it doesn't break off nada go to my heart or lungs. Oy, this tops the list of things I don't need right now,

January 31st, 2013, 05:54 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
(hugs) hon. Glad to hear that they are taking it seriously and getting you in to get it all checked out. I really hope it's just some unusual swelling and everything is okay!
January 31st, 2013, 06:46 AM
Rochelle
Oh man! I hope it's not a clot. I had to get an u/s on my legs over the summer bc both my feet and ankles had swollen up so big. It wasn't a clot. They think my thyroid levels were too high. Do you have thyroid issues?
January 31st, 2013, 08:12 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Thinking of you Hun!!

January 31st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Hope it all goes well! As annoying as it is to miss work, your right you come first and I think the peace of mind knowing everything is okay is well worth it. KUP

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
January 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM
So I was able to get into have the ultrasound on my leg early enough to make it to work on time. My mom is an administrator at the hospital and, with a phone call to the radiology lab, I was taken in pretty much as soon as I got in there and they rushed the reading to get me out on time. No clots. They didn't see any reason for the swelling. It has gone down considerably, but still not quite back to normal. They told me to continue to keep it elevated and to see an orthopedist about the knee issue instead of wearing the brace. Mom is going to hook me up with a good orthopedist, too. (Also got hooked up with my OB office through her. She is an amazing connection for all things medical.) I will probably get my knee looked at sometime next week. I'm not really stressed about that. The big concern was Deep Vein Thrombosis, which I do have a family history of, but do not have myself right now.

Thank you all so much for the concern. I appreciate it. I started to get pretty concerned when the OB office said it was that urgent to get it checked out, but I'm really relieved to know that everything is fine. Thanks again!
4hearts and rcjh12 like this.

January 31st, 2013, 05:47 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad it's nothing serious!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search