What do contractions feel like?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 02:52 PM
First time mommy :)
As I get farther along I am starting to get anxious about the big day. How would you ladies that already have little ones describe what your contractions felt like?
January 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
With my first, I thought I was having weird, periodic gas pains for the first few hours. DH and I had watched a movie and were lying down because I kept getting these sharp, tight pains in my belly and back. It took me a while to realize "oh hey, I think I'm in labor". I did end up having back labor with him, and so when I started having contractions with my second it was a totally different experience. Sharp, tight pains again, but that somehow felt different.

And I realize that's probably not helpful at all. It's been a few years and I'm lacking the words to actually describe them lol
January 31st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
For me they felt like worse than average period cramps and got worse the further along I got into labor. You'll more than likely know the difference between normal Braxton Hicks and real labor, at least for me the BH contractions never really hurt, they got a little uncomfortable towards the end, but still not very painful. Real labor pain definitely hurt.
January 31st, 2013, 03:35 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
period cramps is a good way to explain it..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

January 31st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
FYI They may not be painful for awhile. That is something no one told me so I had no me clue I was in labor and I got to the hospital to be induced and my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart!!

At 1st my stomach was getting hard like a rock then it go back to normal but no pain so if that happens consistently it is a contraction after they broke my water the contractions started to hurt.

January 31st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
FYI They may not be painful for awhile. That is something no one told me so I had no me clue I was in labor and I got to the hospital to be induced and my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart!!

At 1st my stomach was getting hard like a rock then it go back to normal but no pain so if that happens consistently it is a contraction after they broke my water the contractions started to hurt.
Holy cow, you're lucky! I felt every single contraction right from the get-go and boy did they hurt!

January 31st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With our first, they started as an aching back. It progressed to strong cramps in the belly. Then I got an epidural and life was great With my second I am the woman everyone hates. Never felt them.
Rissa6213 likes this.

January 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With Everett I was in complete denial until transition. Haha. I had an exam and a sweep earlier in the day which I thought my contractions were just from that. My labors are not typical as they are very very intense and fast. So aside from my denial for about 20 minutes mine come hard and fast. They are different for everyone. Don't get too worried yet your body will amaze you!

January 31st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine felt like really bad period cramps most of the time. DD was sunny side up, so they were accompanied by horrible back pains too.
January 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
For me, early labor cx feel just like a combination of braxton hicks, back ache, and *really* needing to poop.

I'm always in denial, also. If ever I tell hubby "it's probably nothing" he knows to break out the birth kit.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 31st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had 2 inductions almost a week apart to get my son out, lol. The first time 'round I went 18 hours with contractions and no pain medicine. The second time around I went 12 hours no medication and then the next 8 hours with (but 2 hours of that was when my epidural fell out and I felt every last little thing...ugh).

When they first began the pre-induction drug I remember both times not feeling my contractions at all for the first 2-3 hours. Then I felt a dull ache in the small of my back. Eventually that dull ache spread out from the small of my back and followed the back of my pelvis. About an hour after that I would feel it start at the same point in the small of my back, evenly cross across my pelvis, and then meet up with something akin to a terrible period cramp. Once the dull ache reached my sides that's when the cramping in the front would occur.

When my epidural fell out the dull ache in my back and the cramping in the front occurred simultaneously. It felt like a giant was squeezing my mid-section and rubbing down. It hurt very very much, but I was also on induction drugs which make for very powerful and unforgiving contractions. What I felt for 2 hours is what women typically feel for the 15-20 minutes before they push. My epidural wore off when it came time for me to push (they turned it off for about an hour before they let me push) and the pain was not the same. It felt SO GOOD to push. Seriously!

I also got a 2nd degree tear. I remember thinking at the time "Well, there's that. Oh well PUSH!" It stung but it did not feel like how you would think a tear in such a sensitive area would feel. Letting your stitches dry out however - OUCH!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 31st, 2013, 06:54 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom says she's hates me. Lol when I talk about my contractions as se watched the monitor but too me they felt like small to slightly manageable menstrual cramps. I was all gung ho on doing it natural by that point but then I got back labor and that's like someone squeezing every lower back muscle you have and ringing them like a wet wash cloth....miserable

January 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always felt them too... To me, I felt an intense tightening all across my stomach and pain that radiated from the front and into my back. Then it would hurt pretty intensely for 30 sec to a minute and then ease up and the tightening would go away.

January 31st, 2013, 08:08 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me contractions starting as a tightening and menstrual cramp feeling that started at my ribs and squeezed down toward my privates...like wringing me out type feeling...then at the end it was the worst back pains ever like a knives were stabbing my lower back.

February 1st, 2013, 03:37 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't get menstrual cramps so I have nothing to compare it to. But for me it feels like I am about to have a bad case of diarrhea. The cramping at first feels like gas pain and gets worse. But I've also had worse cases of diarrhea where I thought I was going to die that we're more painful than my med-free labor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search